Jordan takes over at La Marque

Jordan takes over at La Marque

Darrell Jordan was named head football coach/athletic director at La Marque on Thursday, replacing Chris Jones, who resigned Feb. 15.

Jordan had a 52-29 record in his seven seasons at Kimball, taking the District 14-4A school to the playoffs each year.

After starting the season 1-4, the Knights finished 5-6 in 2007, losing to Samuell in the bi-district round.

He becomes the third coach in as many years at La Marque.

Jones, who replaced Bryan Erwin after the Cougars won the 2006 Class 4A Division II championship, guided La Marque to a 9-3 record last season, losing to Lumberton in the Region III area round.

he'll be out in 2 years (on his own)

I doubt that very seriously as his track record at getting the most out of his players is good. After listening to the man in person while he was giving his acceptance speech it was quite evident he's a man of integrity and a disciplinarian who knows how to handle his own. As for him leaving on his own in 2 years I have to disagree as the typical tenure for LM coaches that handle their responsibilities probably averages 4-5 years (+/- of 1) and the ones that leave either take higher coaching positions in 5-A (Erwin) schools or at college coaching positions (Weddell). Chris Jones was an exception to the rule as he clearly couldn't balance the tasks expected of him by Burley which involved success on the field and in the classroom. While I'll give credit where it's due as Jones did an excellent job with grades and although our record wasn't horrific quite a few of those W's were dramatic comebacks which involved a specific few (players) using their athleticism to help eek out victories (Kerligan's legs especially). I'm not sure of how much you know about our district but to give an indication of how poorly coaching was at times LM trailed Santa Fe (bottom feeder in what was 23-4a) 14-0 at halftime. One of my friends who played on the '97 State championship team once told me of a story of one of his coaches telling them if they lose to Santa Fe then they may as well shut football down in LM altogether and start over next year...get the picture?

Jones was in way over his head as his lack of discipline was quite evident in some of the antics that took place on the field (numerous personal fouls & unsportsmanlike penalties) as well as on the sidelines (players throwing helmets down after bad plays on the field). It was embarrassing at times last year as those types of things weren't tolerated PERIOD with Weddell or Erwin and to see our reputation tarnished was pathetic! Some say that our talent level was down last year and to a certain degree that is true but you take what you have and make adjustments which was rarely done. You don't make 9 title game appearances and win 5 titles on athleticism alone...you have to coach well! There were a few marquee players left over from the '06 State Championship team that I was sure would have great seasons in '07 but they were either underutilized or just plain used in the wrong manner. With exception of the Friendswood game I never saw a complete coaching job from start to finish of a football game in '07. Expectations are high in LM and if you're a coach that plans on being the head Coogah then it's not too difficult to figure that out before coming here. Jones was clearly overwhelmed and used his wife as a scapegoat to resign after throwing up smoke and mirrors with his power point presentation and not delivering. In the end, I'm quite happy with our choice and look forward to the '08 season!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami