It’s time of year for free throws to snuff dreams

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

I know a lot of people will probably disagree here. But Lamar University has a couple really good FT shooters. Namely Dawkins and McThay are the best that come to mind at the present.

One thing I notice (I'm not a coach and basketball is not a sport I'm overly knowledgeable) but I would video Dawkins, McThay and have video of someone like Matt Sundblad. If you notice the guys how are really good don't hold the ball very long in their hands. For example KD doest a couple of practice tosses, sets him feet, grabs the ball dribbles twice and shots it within 3 seconds of having the ball in his hands after the couple of dribbles.

The guys I see that aren't really good stare at the rim for several seconds before shooting which make me believe there is some self doubt. To be a good FT shooter you got to walk up to the line with the confidence you are going to make them. One player I won't name is shoot a ungodly percentage for the field but doesn't have the confidence once he steps to the line. It's almost like he is trying too hard. I say just set your feet, bend your knees, follow through on the shot and most importantly, don't hold the ball for more than a couple second. It isn't a natural rhythm to stare at the basketball for 5-6 seconds before shooting. Players don't do that when shooting from the field so why do something totally different at the FT line?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder