In Double O.T. Jasper 74 BC 71 Final

Jasper nips Lady Cards in double OT thriller

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — A full game was not enough for the Bridge City Lady Cardinals and Jasper Lady Bulldogs Tuesday night in Cardinals Gym.

So the two teams decided to make it a game and a half as it took until double overtime for Jasper to swipe a 74-71 victory.

Jasper’s Courtney Baker and Shelethia Middleton hit key free throws down the stretch and were able to keep the Lady Cardinals off the board in the final 40 seconds of the game.

Bridge City falls to 6-15 overall and 2-8 in District 21-3A play while Jasper improved to 4-12 on the year and 2-8 in the district standings.

The Lady Cardinals seemed to have the game in the bag with a 64-61 lead with just seconds left in regulation.

That is when Baker ripped a three-pointer as time expired off the clock to force the first overtime period.

Neither team could do much in the first overtime as both squads only hit a free throw to be tied at 65.

Bridge City put three players in double figures with senior Lauren Angelle leading the way with a team-high 26 points to go with eight rebounds, five steals and four assists. Lauren Angelle finished 3-of-4 from the three-point line.

Fellow senior Jenna Angelle had 17 points, nine rebounds and three steals and Sam West added 13 points and seven rebounds.

Baker finished with 26 points for Jasper while Anna Nation added 18 points and a game-high 18 rebounds.

Jasper took an early 20-15 lead after the first period. Baker had a quick seven points in the game’s first eight minutes.

Lauren Angelle got the Lady Cardinals going with nine points in the first period.

Bridge City would then outscore Jasper 18-13 in the second as the two teams were tied at 33 at half-time.

Lauren Angelle had five points in the frame for the Lady Cardinals while Jordan Royal, West and Jenna Angelle each had four.

Jasper then led 49-46 heading into the final frame as Nation got hot with six points in the third period.

Jenna Angelle put in seven points in the third to keep the Lady Cardinals within striking distance.

Jasper out-rebounded Bridge City 43-37 in the contest.

Bridge City was 20-for-29 from the free throw line. Jasper was 9-for-23 from the charity stripe.

The Lady Cardinals forced 28 turnovers in the game while turning the ball over just 10 times.

Bridge City travels to face Orangefield on Friday.

In other 21-3A action the West Orange-Stark Lady Mustangs remained winless on the year after Hardin-Jefferson waltzed to a 80-23 victory. WO-S is now 0-15 and 0-10. Silsbee downed Hamshire-Fannett 78-71.

All I want to say is kudos to the Jasper fans who were sitting behind the bench. They were great to both teams! If a BC girl made a foul or even made a nice play, they would compliment the Lady Cardinal or say "its ok No. whatever. make a play next time."

That is truly some of the best sportsmanship I have seen all year long.

The Lady Bulldogs are making strides and I salute them and their fans.

All I want to say is kudos to the Jasper fans who were sitting behind the bench. They were great to both teams! If a BC girl made a foul or even made a nice play, they would compliment the Lady Cardinal or say "its ok No. whatever. make a play next time."

That is truly some of the best sportsmanship I have seen all year long.

The Lady Bulldogs are making strides and I salute them and their fans.

That's very good sportsmanship, I never really see many Jasper fans at their games. 

It's going to be very interesting to see this team from Jasper next year, they will be returning 9 from this years team and the majority of them are soph.  There are a couple of girls that are on the JV team that will be a fine addition to the varsity squad next year.  Courtney Baker the young pg for the lady bulldogs will be a good one to watch.  I remember at the beginning of the season many of you were right on when you said that this team was a couple of years away from being good.  I believe you all were correct.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder