jimmy simmons on klvi-football related

Guest abovetherim

jack piper is having jimmy simmons on as a guest this thursday at 500pm to discuss football at lamar.

Thanks for the information lu cards! I'll be sure to have the radio on KLVI Thursday at 5PM. Jan 29/30th are important dates for the future of all Lamar Athletics not just football. A few family members, our friends and myself will be voting yes. For that matter, I was just talking with LamarJunior and NewCardinal about the return of football as I'm at their apartment just off campus. By the way, they (LJ and NC) say the return of the pigskin at Lamar is a done deal!

But, I'm not taking anything for granted and only an act of God will keep me from voting YES come the 29th. 

Guest abovetherim

Glad he mentioned Lamar has the highest acceptance rank among pre-med students into medical schools in the state of Texas. I tell people this all the time and they don't believe me. Now, maybe a few of them will. A few people calling in had concerns about academics and funding for academics. Dr. Simmons stated with the NCAA regulations on student athletes it has causes Lamar to actually have a higher rate of graduation with student-athletes than non-athletes. He mentioned the student growth in enrollment has them expecting a new record for enrollment in the spring and he expects enrollment to be about 11-12,000 in the fall. He went on to mention state funding for the university based on enrollment could top $12 million dollars a year. There are two new satellite campuses in Baytown and Lumberton which has him excited about future growth. So, in a nutshell he spoke about academics as much or more than he actually spoke about football.

Guest coachacola

And from the Beaumont Enterprise:

Lamar University has partnered with Higher Ed Holdings to offer a master's degree in education to in-service teachers across Texas, Lamar spokesman Brian Sattler said.

The program, which began in October, has enrolled more than 2,000 Texas teachers possibly bumping spring enrollment to record levels, Sattler said.

It's possible Lamar's enrollment could surge to 14,000 by the time they start playing football in 2010.  All these new students won't be at the Beaumont campus but it still means more money for Lamar.

As far as football is concerned, he seemed real confident that the students and board of regents will approve it.  I also got the impression that Lamar will play football in the SLC for a little while too.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics