Orangefield 38 Sulphur 39

Guest bleed orange

Guest bleed orange

Another game we should have won. Missed freethrows toward the end that hurt us. Thats all I can say. I would love to say more but it would not do any good. Overall we played some decent basketball against some good teams. We were in every game and just fell short at the end. That happens sometimes. Now we can get ready for district play.

They were bad.  Apparently there is no such rule as 3 seconds in the lane or a 5 second count?  They literally stood in the middle of the lane and not a one 3 second call.  We need to take care of the ball, throwing the ball to a post in the corner with 8 seconds left  down by one and at her feet, is not smart at all. 

Guest bleed orange

Orangefield is always crying about the officials!  One question, why is the post girl in the corner when you are down by one?

So does every other school.

Its not crying , Its complaining about the poor officiating. If you think the officiating is good you haven't been to many games. I'm embarrassed when I see some of the officiating at HJ. I know we don't have a lot of controll because it seems the majority are not very good. I wish it was like in the past when Firefighters and Policemen did a lot of the officiating on their days off for extra money.

Your always going to get bad calls but, some of them have attitudes and are deciding games. At HJ tournament in the championship game one official gave the TC coach a technical for no reason. He was on a power trip and he is one of the better officials. What he called a technical for would get every coach in the state out of games. We can teach our kids the rules but, if there not upheld during the game it makes you try to play by breaking the rules which is why the games are so physical.

There shouldn't be home cookin for any one. In a better world we would all play by the same rules no matter where we are and let the best team win.

don't take this the wrong way. i don't say it to sound like a jerk, but here is the TASO website. if there is so much passion out there about the need for good refs and so much complaining, then it sounds like those complaining should step up.... www.taso.org

i know several good officials who started because they were tired of watching bad refs.

best of luck to all the new refs.

happy new year to every one.

Guest hootiehoo14

don't take this the wrong way. i don't say it to sound like a jerk, but here is the TASO website. if there is so much passion out there about the need for good refs and so much complaining, then it sounds like those complaining should step up.... www.taso.org

i know several good officials who started because they were tired of watching bad refs.

great post....and good point Rev.

Don't take this the wrong way but, your comments tells me you dont go to many games. Also I didn't say there were not any good refs but, it seems that the bad ones give the good ones a bad rep. I also know some of the good refs and their complaining also. The biggest problem is there are not enough people to do the job, so they have to take everyone. We need to pay better and disipline more to get a better product that we all want. As for your web sight  there is a link to report problems with coaches ,fans,ect. but, not to report bad refs.Also we would need to know their names and other info on them so with your wise and good comments tell me how to get that information so I can step-up!

Guest hootiehoo14

Don't take this the wrong way but, your comments tells me you dont go to many games. Also I didn't say there were not any good refs but, it seems that the bad ones give the good ones a bad rep. I also know some of the good refs and their complaining also. The biggest problem is there are not enough people to do the job, so they have to take everyone. We need to pay better and disipline more to get a better product that we all want. As for your web sight  there is a link to report problems with coaches ,fans,ect. but, not to report bad refs.Also we would need to know their names and other info on them so with your wise and good comments tell me how to get that information so I can step-up!

Um, don't take this the wrong way JDad, but you missed the entire point of his post.  He gave you that website so that, with your infinite basketball officiating wisdom, you could sign up to become an official....instead of repeatedly coming on this forum and whining about the officials.

His idea of "stepping up" was stop running your mouth and do it yourself.  Although, I'm pretty sure his version was much nicer.  :-*

Guest bleed orange

Um, don't take this the wrong way JDad, but you missed the entire point of his post.  He gave you that website so that, with your infinite basketball officiating wisdom, you could sign up to become an official....instead of repeatedly coming on this forum and whining about the officials.

His idea of "stepping up" was stop running your mouth and do it yourself.  Although, I'm pretty sure his version was much nicer.   :-*

I have never heard "JDad" get on here and whin. Some of you do not know what you are talking about. He is basically saying, in order to get more and better officials we need to pay them more money and he is right. If you look at the chapter, do you see any young people out there? No you don't. There is a shortage of officials and that is why you have inexperience people calling Varsity games. And yes they are letting the game get way to physical. You can't just say" you get out there and do it" not everyone is cut out to be an official. Are any of you basketball officials? There are some good ones in the chapter but there are also some that are not motivated and the only thing that will do that is money.

Regarding Quote from hootiehoo14

Since you don't know me I just take your statements as ignorance. So you know I do officiate games and umpire baseball when I have time. I also coach a traveling basketball team that plays 40-50 games a summer, I will not official basketball games untill my kids are through playing and then I will be there. What do you contribute to help the youth  or any group.Giving my oppions on this subject is to vent on something that needs to improve. If you watch any games and have any knowledge of the game you would not running your mouth so openly. As for me if you would like to talk face to face to explaine how I'm running my mouth and I guess you think I should shut-up I will be more than happy to hear what you have to say!!!

well jdad... i understand what you are saying. and without knowing you it does sound like nothing more than complaining. i understand if your kids are playing that you wouldn't want to ref games right now. so just venting is cool. i have seen horrible officials in my time as a coach and have had  plently of warnings and techs called on me. so i am guessing you are wanting to figure out a way to recruit more refs. you come up with a plan and i will help you.

but i do know hootie and they have been to plenty of basketball games and give back to the sport a lot. sometimes as you know it's just the luck of the draw if you get someone who can even see straight as a ref.

Well revfaulk I don't have a surefire plan but, if paying more would do the trick I'll pay more to see the game. I know all the complaining don't help the today but eventually someone in the right position will hear and start some kind of oversight between themselves. I do know there are really good refs out there and they usually go to the big games on the boys side. I did go to a tourney this summer where the refs were rating each other and woking to get better. At that tourney I knew what should be going on at every game. They worked togeather to call great games. There are always going to be some bad apples who make every one look bad but, I really get along with most of them if I beleive they tried to do a good job I was okay. However I've had one tell the team we were playing how to beat my girls and then called horribly and he said things during the game that my girls could hear. That is not to be let go just because, that would be wrong. The only way to change and get better is acknowledge the problem and then work to fix it. Why is it wrong to want a fair game called for both teams, no matter where it is played.

Guest hootiehoo14

Now, don't go getting all fired up on me JDad.  I apologize if I didn't have the best choice of wording....I did mention that in the post.  I said Rev's version was much nicer than mine.  I apologize my uncanny ability to cut to the chase.

As Rev mentioned, yes I do give back to youth sports...sometimes more than I would really like.  And again yes, I have been to many many basketball games.  The officiating is horrible, and it has been for years.  Honestly, I don't know what will fix it...money, better training, etc.  I also know that complaining on these boards won't do any good, and the sad fact of the matter is that on these boards there is a fine line between venting/whining.  I apologize if I ruffled your feathers.

Apology accepted hootiehoo14. I'm okay with someone with a different opinion. It was the running my mouth comment that was to far but, I'll live. As for the subject of officials you just said they have been horrible for the last couple of years which is what began this conversation. I know me complaining about it want fix it but, If we all felt the same and stood togeather with one voice and contacted the lead official there may could be change. I started  a blog to get people togeather to voice our thoughts on how the media only shows boys sports. The problem is even we cant get togeather and try to get some changes. Doing nothing will never change anything. If we want better refs we got to let someone know. Even If I'm a ref that is only one, we need them to hold poeple who are getting paid to do a job to a higher standered.

I saw most or all of 7 games at the Sulphur tournament and the officials had no consistency. Blatant traveling was not called and then they would call it when it didn't look at all as if there was a travel. Someone would get smacked in the face or knocked down with no foul called and then they would call a foul on minor or no contact. I never saw them call a lane violation in any game, even when players camped out in the paint. This is the type of calling that is so frustrating. Fouls are objective, the officials see it their way, not necessarily the way others see it, but anyone can count to three and tell when someone is in the paint too long. As far as the Orangefield games, yes there was some bad calls, but the girls just gave up in the last quarter of the first game when they couldn't catch a break. It was disappointing to see them not give it their all. The second game was much better mentally for Orangefield. At one point they were behind by 22 points and within a few minutes had cut the lead to 7. At least in that game they kept playing, even when the whistle started blowing against them, (but they still committed too many turnovers, gotta protect the ball better). When Orangefield played against Sulphur, you could see the girls got totally taken out of their game when the Sulphur coach called 3 timeouts in a row when they did not have possession. Orangefield went from being up by 6 with a little over a minute to play to losing by 1. They got rattled and made a couple of turnovers. They will have to do better than that in district play. Luckily, Orangefield seems to focus more when it "counts". They could have won all three games in the Sulphur tournament had they taken them more seriously. (By the way, Sulphur won their first game against Jennings in almost the same way as the Orangefield game. They were way behind in most of the game and pulled out a 1 point win at the very end of the game. Lots of help from the officials in that one. The Jennings people were not happy at all.) There will always be complaining about officials (justified or not). Maybe better pay would help, as some have suggested, but you will never get around the fact that most calls depend on the objectivity of the officials. The players will just have to deal with it and play their best.

i talked to an official yesterday, i just asked him a few questions and just listened to his answers. they were a little disappointing. i understand that when you are calling girls games it's a lot different than calling boys games. they have to let more stuff slide otherwise the entire team would foul out. --- my personal thoughts are if one team fouls 100 times in the 1st half.... that's something the team should work on.--- also they don't call fouls unless someone was able to gain a clear advantage. --- to me if you are in the lane and someone is pushing you, that's a foul..... this guy said you have to gain a clear advantage. and the last one was if you are calling 3 seconds in the lane.... that means you aren't watching the rest of the game and are probably missing something else.

i didin't reply to him because it would have been pointless. needless to say i was very surprised at everything he said.

glad my girl isn't playing basketball yet!!!!!

Guest bleed orange

i talked to an official yesterday, i just asked him a few questions and just listened to his answers. they were a little disappointing. i understand that when you are calling girls games it's a lot different than calling boys games. they have to let more stuff slide otherwise the entire team would foul out. --- my personal thoughts are if one team fouls 100 times in the 1st half.... that's something the team should work on.--- also they don't call fouls unless someone was able to gain a clear advantage. --- to me if you are in the lane and someone is pushing you, that's a foul..... this guy said you have to gain a clear advantage. and the last one was if you are calling 3 seconds in the lane.... that means you aren't watching the rest of the game and are probably missing something else.

i didin't reply to him because it would have been pointless. needless to say i was very surprised at everything he said.

glad my girl isn't playing basketball yet!!!!!

Glad mine is almost done. Except I hope she gets a chance to play at the next level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83