*OF vs. BC/OF Wins 72-47/Comments*

KFDM COOP

Guest bleed orange

We need to pay our officials more money so we can get some better officials and get some young people interested because I don't see many young officials and some of the older ones act like they don't want to be out there. You say, what I am complaining about we won. Thats not it. Somebody is going to get hurt. They let these kids play way to rough on both sides. Does anybody see the big picture here but me. What as happened is these kids are not playing defense anymore. They don't have to. Its all about offense. This is not basketball. I thought that high school basketball was the purest form of basketball. Not anymore. They let the kids travel and get mauled. What are we teaching our kids? I will tell you what" bad fundamentals". This game could have easily gotten out of control. Tempers were flareing on both sides. I am so glad my daughter is a senoir so I do not have to watch this anymore. There are some good officials just not enough. You better pay these guys more so they will be motivated because in the near future coaches will be officiating the games. Its already started. They need to start paying more in football also. You can see the shortage of officials. I was an official in football for ten years. When my kids got into Jr. High I gave it up because watching them was more important. This is not something that as happened over night. Its been the trend for a while.

Good point, but I think most of the blame should fall on the coaches, not the officials.  I have seen every 21-3A team play at least twice, and I will state that if officials call what they should, most teams will have fouled each team out before half time.

I coached a team a while back at a school in beaumont, who did not have the greatest athletes.  We had to resort to playing "New York Knicks" style defense, just to try and stay in games.  So as a coach, if you are not blessed with raw talent, you still have to do what you can to try and win and stay competitive.... If that means fouling, holding the ball, etc..  In this scenario, I am guilty....  I am probably the hardest coach on officials, but realize that there is a balance between calling fouls that affect the play and letting go the ones that don't ..... Most officials will miss a call, and then try and even up the missed call by letting another one go.  It is human nature and happens at ALL levels of basketball.

Most SETX officials are great guys and gals who care about the sport and the product they put out. (I have been to several of their meetings) ,  I do think that a coach has far greater impact on the physical nature of the game than an official does.

-Mike

Guest bleed orange

Good point, but I think most of the blame should fall on the coaches, not the officials.  I have seen every 21-3A team play at least twice, and I will state that if officials call what they should, most teams will have fouled each team out before half time.

I coached a team a while back at a school in beaumont, who did not have the greatest athletes.  We had to resort to playing "New York Knicks" style defense, just to try and stay in games.  So as a coach, if you are not blessed with raw talent, you still have to do what you can to try and win and stay competitive.... If that means fouling, holding the ball, etc..  In this scenario, I am guilty....  I am probably the hardest coach on officials, but realize that there is a balance between calling fouls that affect the play and letting go the ones that don't ..... Most officials will miss a call, and then try and even up the missed call by letting another one go.  It is human nature and happens at ALL levels of basketball.

Most SETX officials are great guys and gals who care about the sport and the product they put out. (I have been to several of their meetings) ,  I do think that a coach has far greater impact on the physical nature of the game than an official does.

-Mike

I agree with what you said and your point is well taken. You are right most of the officials are great guys and ladies. But the game has changed and not for the good. Girls have always been more aggressive than boys and I understand that. But things are starting to get out of control and I am not just talking about the kids. Its the parents also. Let me say this, I am thankful I grew up in the 70's and I am thankful my parents grew up in the 50's.

Keith Little

I disagree with the comment that coachs have more control. It may be true but, if it is its because of bad officiating. The officials influence the fisical play by what they call and don't call. If all the kids foul out for fouling then that is the coachs fault. If a kids fouls call it, that is the rules. If a kid walks, call it

officials are not their to decide what to call or not call. We have a rule book, that is to dictate the calls.

One problem is that not all officials know the rules. If you play great defense and get run over and they don't call the charge, then why work that hard. If they rewarded good defense like they do good offense the game could get back to what it was intended for.

Last night was all officiating and I hate to say that. At the half I talked to Mr. Little and I told him all I cared about was no player getting seriously hurt from both teams. Every time a shot was taken I was worried someone would get hurt going for a rebound. One official at the game missed at least 20 calls both ways and then would call a hand check after watching a player get mauled. I watch these girls every Tuesday and Friday and know both teams very well. Last night was the first time I was ever really worried something bad was going to happen because the officials were letting the game get out of control. All they needed to do was at least warn both teams and talk to each coach to maybe slow down the 'physical' play.

Guest bleed orange

-Mike

I read your post late last night. After reading it again. I disagree completely. Why not teach them defense instead of fouling or maybe fundamentals.  Officials do control the game not coaches.  The reason Orangefield and Hardin Jefferson programs are so successful is because they teach their kids at a young age defense and fundamentals.

You guys may be misunderstanding what I am saying....

I say that a coach has more influence than officials and here is why.  Alomst all of the coaches in this area stress offense.  What time is spent on defense usually pertains running, hustling, getting loose balls,(all things that lead to the extreme contact we all hate)  etc.  NOT footwork, hand position, etc.

As far as officials letting this type of play go, I cannot speak for that.... but I do say that if coaches stressed the proper fundamentals, we would not be having this discussion because the game would be different.

*I DO THINK IT IS GETTING BETTER.  MY FIRST YEAR AT KELLY WAS WAY WORSE THAN ANYTHING I HAVE SEEN THIS YEAR!

On a side note, basketball has not always been a "pure" non contact game.... My grandfather played in the early days of the NBA with George Mikan.  He would tell me stories of each team having "hatchet men" who whose job was to try and put the opponets best player into the 4th row (much like the goons in hockey)...Those stories are funny and interesting, but are for another post.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83