Toyota names first 3 Nextel cup teams

From espn.com

Toyota names first three Nextel Cup

CONCORD, N.C. -- The three teams that will field the first Toyota Camrys in NASCAR's top series include an old hand at Cup racing, a two-time Daytona 500 winner -- and an energy drink.

Bill Davis Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing and all-new Team Red Bull were named Tuesday night as the first teams to run Toyotas in Nextel Cup and Busch Series races starting in 2007. The Japanese automaker is the first foreign manufacturer since the 1950s to supply cars for NASCAR's top series.

Michael Waltrip, who currently drives for Bill Davis Racing, will become an owner/driver in 2007. No driver has been named for Waltrip's second car.

"I never thought I would be a car owner in the Cup series," he said Tuesday night. "But then I thought, if I can plug into this, I can go race with these guys. ... Now I've got cars. I can race these people."

Bill Davis Racing will have to replace Waltrip next year to drive its second car; Davis said the team's other driver, Dave Blaney, would drive the Toyota in 2007.

The Red Bull team will also field two cars, with the drivers to be named later.

Bill Davis Racing has been a regular competitor in the NASCAR Cup Series since 1993, while Michael Waltrip Racing has been primarily involved in the Busch Series. Team Red Bull is new to Cup, although the company has been heavily involved in worldwide motorsports.

"Based on our motorsports experience, we know the importance of working with experienced teams and partners," said Jim Aust, vice president of Toyota Motorsports and president and CEO of Toyota Racing Development, U.S.A. "We have developed excellent relationships with Bill Davis and the Waltrip family and look forward to developing a similar relationship with the Red Bull team as Toyota joins one of the world's most competitive racing series."

Toyota began competing in NASCAR in the 2000 Goody's Dash Series and for the past two years has raced in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.

"The response to Toyota's involvement in the Craftsman Truck Series has been very positive, and we look forward to building on that acceptance at the next levels," said Kim McCullough, corporate manager of marketing communications for Toyota Motorsports.

Bill Davis has been involved in NASCAR competition for 18 years and established a relationship with Toyota by fielding three Tundra trucks in the Craftsman series in 2004.

Waltrip, a two-time Daytona 500 winner, formed his own race team nearly a decade ago in Sherrills Ford, N.C. Established primarily as a Busch Series team, the team began fielding cars in the Cup Series on a limited basis the past few years.

Team Red Bull will be based in Mooresville, N.C., and stock car veteran Marty Gaunt will serve as the team's general manager.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83