What's wrong with Vidor

Guest Ricthepic

Guest Ricthepic

I have been a fan of the Pirates now for about 20 years. I knew there was a change for the better in the basketball program with Jim Armstrong and then of course with Coach English, we experienced an unbelievable turnaround. We have good talent that I know is young, but most played last year. I also understand that we do depend alot on our outside shooting, especially the 3, but in our last few games we have not even been competitive. Is it the level of competition or are we too young to make a run at district time? I am only going by scores as I have only seen a few games. Is it a lack of experience, leadership or preparation? I will still root hard for the Pirates, but I would appreciate any feedback. ric

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no doubt they will get better as the season goes and the level of play comes back to them. what games where you talking about Ricthepic? I assume the ones at the ymbl, where they lost to Aldine 44-28, and new orleans walker by 40. Of course Aldine went on and won the whole tourney. In the ymbl vidor goes 1-2, while ozen goes 1-2. Vidor played the team that won it all.

there is plenty of experience. Vidor has 3 returning starters. As far as the seniors, i am not sure. It seems like every other year they have a big group, and then a small group of seniors. Last year they had 6 on the team and if things hold true, they would have 10 seniors on the team next year. I know one kid failed, and then their senior pt quard quite once he came out after football. Alot of that had to due with his injuries from football

Vidor has 3 returning starters.

does that mean they started as 10 graders? in 4a?  most of the 2 &3a teams i have seen this year are full of seniors and kids with experience and some of these schools don't have 200 boys in the entire high school. It sounds like there just aren't enough kids in the program.  i believe robertson is a good coach and i think in the long run the pirates will be fine.  it sounds like there will be lots of players who are seniors with experience next year.  good luck in district i think you just might suprise a few teams.

Three Questions:

1. How many freshman were on Vidor's playoff teams?

2. What is Vidors record since they started playing freshmen on varsity?

3. Where is English now?

P.S. I have nothing against the players that were promoted or Coach English. Just stating why Vidor never seems to have senior leadership.

Three Questions:

1. How many freshman were on Vidor's playoff teams?

2. What is Vidors record since they started playing freshmen on varsity?

3. Where is English now?

P.S. I have nothing against the players that were promoted or Coach English. Just stating why Vidor never seems to have senior leadership.

:o :o :o

Vidor b-ball was a joke before English got there,all he did was beat ozen a couple of times and go to the playoffs sevaral times.so what ever he did & who ever he played worked.

yea, ur rt Coach English did not know what he was doing when he moved those two freshman up as starters. Heck all this time we thought English was a good coach, but instead he was just messing around the upper classmen.

Vidor b-ball was a joke before English got there,all he did was beat ozen a couple of times and go to the playoffs sevaral times.so what ever he did & who ever he played worked.

I didn't realize we were talking about the past I thought we were talking about the present!

you've got to have a really good reason for starting an underclassmen on a varsity team of any sport, most coaches say it will cost you at least one district game for everyone you start.

From what I understand, Vidor has a big Junior class and a small Senior class for whatever reason.  That stuff happens.  I also think it's funny when people say you should play your upperclassmen instead of the younger kids (despite who's actually better).  Over here at Nederland, English started all sophs last year, and it's seems to be paying off for him this season and probably next.  Also, it worked out for the Michigan coach who started 5 freshmen and reached the championship game (Fab 5).  In other words, maybe a coach is supposed to put his best 5 players on the court regardless of classification. 

I know Robertson is starting to feel some heat over there, but hopefully he will stay the course and turn things around (except against Ned). 

Appearently this years crop of seniors are not that good...  So the coach, being the smart guy he is, chose to suffer for a season and come back with a strong core group in the up comming years....  Always start the underclassman when you have one that is just as good as the senior.  You Vidor guys don't know crap about basketball!  This coach is a master mind....  He brings those kids all summer to play with the Bmt, PA, Silsbee, Kountz, and Houston schools to prepare them for the season.  He did not see a playoff team in his crop of upper classmen so he is building a future playoff team....

This coach is smart and good so all of you no basketball knowledge doubters... Jump into the abyss!!!!! :P

Be greatful this guy stays in Vidor he can go else where. This is the only coach that has beat Ozen in this district!!!!  Wake up Vidorians!!!!

Guest catfever

I am sure he is not feeling any pressure by administration to win since the football team hasn't won in how long?  Mathews still has his job, I am pretty sure that Robertson's job is safe.  Pressure from the parents?  Probably.  You get that pressure even if you are winning.  Coaching doesn't come without pressures from all different directions.

Ok, I have watched a couple of the games so far this year. Vidor has a freshman on the team that I personally feel has no business being on Varsity as a freshman.  I know he is a Williamson and all but when he plays he does not play with the confidence the others tend to show.  Now, when he played as an eigth grader, he played with confidence and was kind of fun to watch.  I just don't feel like he is on the same level w/the upper classmen.  Vidor tends to get going and score plenty of points but then they just relax and the opponent surpasses them in points. Then it is like shear desperation to try and win the game....hmmmmm.

I know there where 7 seniors on the team last year, and if all holds true there would be at least 10 seniors next year. So you do the math. The math to me looks like 07-08 group of seniors must not have been very good. I have watched games this year also, and it looks to me that the freshman is the best shooter on the team. Now that is a scary thought

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    katty
    Newest Member
    katty