Cougars draws Dayton in bi-district

bronco1

Cougars draw Dayton in bi-district

By Dave Rogers

Published November 11, 2007

A season of surprises in District 21-4A took a final bow Friday night when fourth-place Barbers Hill knocked off league co-leader Galena Park.

That left Crosby’s Cougars claiming their first district championship since 1999.

http://baytownsun.com/story.lasso?ewcd=b1a07d0861cc8a35

Guest Cap Rock Brewing Co.

21-4A Champs Crosby (8-2) vs. 22-4A Champs Dayton (7-3) Breakdown

Averages:

Crosby Offense 34.5 points/game

Dayton Defense 8.7 points/game

Dayton Offense 31.6 points/game

Crosby Defense 16.0 points/game

Key Wins:

Crosby @ PN-G 7-0; Crosby @ Barbers Hill 48-14

Dayton vs. PN-G 40-7; Dayton @ Nederland 63-0

Key Losses:

Crosby @ GP 24-20; Crosby @ Dickinson 35-19 Chronicle has this wrong. It was last game at Old Sam Vitanza.

Dayton @ Lumberton 8-7; Dayton @ WO-S 22-14; Dayton vs. Friendswood 31-28

Players to Watch:

Crosby: RB Chance Casey 144/1,055 yards 7.33/carry 12 TDs; QB Durran Starks 110/189 1,748 yards 19 TDs 5 Ints; WR/Ret Toris Doze 23/255 yards 2 TDs and 3 KOR TDs; DE Kedy Enabulele

Dayton: QB Gregory Charles 82/128 18 TDs 1 Int; WR A.J. Dugat 43/573 yards 7 TDs; WR/DB Ronnie Powell 32/514 yards 7 TDs; DB Ford Smesney; DL Brent Kimmy

Key Injuries:

Crosby: OL Patrick McGriff missed games 2-6, likely

Dayton: QB Cody Green missed games 2-10, out

Guest maverick24

Thats funny right there Crosby is crying as much as Dayton about playing eachother. It is crazy how both teams say they wanted to play eachother but both teams are crying about it. I spoke to some people at church today and it was explained that a SCHOOL not involved meaning not Lumberton, Dayton or png, brought up the fact that the tiebreaker for a 3 way tie was set up to determain a tiebreaker between 3 teams to only decide  if one team was to be left out and the other two making the playoffs. If the Season ended in a 3 way tie for first the big school went Div- 1 and the other 2 spots would be off head to head. If there was only a 2 way tie for second and third that it would also go to head to head. That in no way would a team be awarded sole District Champion simply by a points Dif. This would only break a tie to put a team in the playoffs between three teams tied for the last spot in the playoffs. So Sorry but all the crying and finger pointing was useless and only showed that someone was scared to play someone else!!!!!

If you read what Flanagan said that is exactly what was done. After PNG was determined to be the BIG school that left the other two to be determined Head to Head, exactly like he said it was suppose to be. In that case Lumberton would be the top seed in Division II. I guess they didn't teach him reading comprehension at Texas A&M.

I really thinkg Crosby is scared to play Dayton so they wanna CRY too!!

Who on here from Crosby is crying? ??? Crosby's coach was just stating the facts.  22-4A got together and changed the rules on gameday.  No other district has done anything like it.  Just because he mentioned the rule change, doesn't mean people on here are crying.  Every playoff prediction article (Houston Chronicle, Baytown Sun, etc.) up until yesterday had Dayton as the #1 seed in Division II because sports writers know how districts have handled these situations in the last 10 years.  Flanagan is quoted as saying, "We'll play whomever they've got" and to me that doesn't sound like crying. The article was written simply as an explanation because most people from Dayton have rightly believed they were the #1 seed and most people from Crosby assumed they would be matched up with Lumberton or Nederland. Think about it this way: if one team made the playoffs from 22-4A it would clearly be Dayton.  So I'm not sure how they'd be the second seed but it's fortunate for you Raider fans because you've now drawn Smiley.  A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

Also, as of 6:30 PM Sunday one of the only districts the UIL has not filled in to their bracket is 22-4A.  I'm sure they are scratching their heads too.  I do however, see who the L-Train potentially faces in Round 2.  Talk about a derailment. 

Guest beards_bro

This Crosby coach sure is whining quite a bit isn't he. He stated that it is a shame that Dayton isn't the #1 seed and has to play their district's #1 seed because they worked sooooo hard to be district champions. Well, the last time I checked, Lumberton worked just as hard to be district champs also. He acts as though Dayton is the only district champ here and not Lumberton. We beat Dayton, therefore we were given the #1 seed. It sounds as if Crosby's coach might be upset because he thought he was going to get an easier opponent in L-Train but instead got Dayton. Now I wish we would be able to play Crosby to show them and their coach just how tough we really are.

This Crosby coach sure is whining quite a bit isn't he. He stated that it is a shame that Dayton isn't the #1 seed and has to play their district's #1 seed because they worked sooooo hard to be district champions. Well, the last time I checked, Lumberton worked just as hard to be district champs also. He acts as though Dayton is the only district champ here and not Lumberton. We beat Dayton, therefore we were given the #1 seed. It sounds as if Crosby's coach might be upset because he thought he was going to get an easier opponent in L-Train but instead got Dayton. Now I wish we would be able to play Crosby to show them and their coach just how tough we really are.

Lumberton is going to find during the playoffs that their not as tough as they think.

I guess you could go back and change the rules again, if you really want to play Crosby.  But be careful what you wish for.  By the way, I believe Coach Flanagan is a Lumberton grad so I'm sure he's happy that you finally made the playoffs. It sounded to me like the Cougars had already been gathering film on Lumberton and Nederland, but was surprised (like everyone else with an education) that the rules were changed abruptly and at the last minute.  

I KNOW Flanagan, went to school with him, He is CRYING!! He knows he is about to be ELIMINATED!!!

]

How can you talk CRAP about a good GOD fearing man like Coach F? Man have some class and respect for the man along with his team.

Guest maverick24

png You are correct all other Threads on this topic got locked till COOP could check into how true any of this was. The funny thing I find is that people blame Lumberton for changing this rule but in the accusation made it even said that Dayton nor Lumberton were allowed to vote on this. So by their own statement it was the other teams in this district that voted to change something, IF ANYTHING WAS CHANGED!!! No one has shown proof that anyone changed anything or if it was just that Dayton was misunderstanding the fact that they would not be the higher seed against Raidernation Since THEY LOST to them. I am not sure what is so hard about it, you are taking 2 teams from this District to the Div 2 playoffs the team that lost the Head to Head is 2nd the one that WON  the head to head is 1st!!!

PS so God fearing coaches dont CRY???

don't really think its a dead horse.  obviously people are a little curious.

No Deez, it IS a dead horse, because nothing that is said on here will ever change what happened.  I understand that people are curious, but that's not what's being posted.  All I see is the same comments from both sides going round and round, with neither side budging or trying to see it another way.  THAT... is a dead horse.

No Deez, it IS a dead horse, because nothing that is said on here will ever change what happened.  I understand that people are curious, but that's not what's being posted.  All I see is the same comments from both sides going round and round, with neither side budging or trying to see it another way.  THAT... is a dead horse.

The horse was poisoned--just like L-towns "share" of the title

Guest TravelingBandsman

I just want us to mow down Crosby this Friday with a terrible resolve, and that resolve will be to give Texas City their much needed revenge by Dayton. No Prisoners, No Survivors.

Interesting article...

I can't wait for the KFDM investigation to find out the "real" reason why the vote was called.

If it was to change the seeding from points to head to head then it is ashame that the DEC could stoop to something so low.

Hopefully we will know the truth soon from both sides.

In the meantime....

The Broncos are looking foward to winning their first round playoff game "again."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124