Memorial’s playmakers hoping to turn up heat on West Brook

Memorial’s playmakers hoping to turn up heat on West Brook

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

Despite back-to-back disappointing losses, Memorial is starting to come around. There is no solid evidence to proof such a thing but that is the feeling in Port Arthur’s locker room, especially among the players who make up District 21-5A’s most productive passing attack.

And it’s that attack that has Memorial seniors Harry Brown, Patterson Clay, Glen Windon and Freddie King thinking Friday’s game with West Brook might go in their favor for once.

All four of them know what Memorial is capable of and they are all fully aware that they have never beaten West Brook during their varsity careers.

“This is a really big game for us,†said King, who caught 10 passes (new single game record for receptions at Memorial) for 110 yards and a touchdown against Baytown Lee last week. “Considering our record (3-4 overall and 2-2 in district), who we are playing and that we haven’t beat them in three years, this is a really big game. It means everything.â€

Clay, who rushed for 122 yards on 18 carries and caught six passes for 55 yards against Lee, said West Brook is Memorial’s biggest rival by far.

“That’s the team we want to beat every year, in any sport. The fans want that game, the community wants that game, the coaches, the players — everybody wants to beat West Brook,†Clay said.

“It’s one of those games you want to play a little better,†King said. “It’s one of those games where you want the best to come out.â€

And don’t tell Windon, who has 19 receptions for 195 yards this season, how well West Brook is playing at the moment. Don’t tell him about the Bruins 6-1 overall record or district leading 4-0 record. Don’t tell Windon about West Brook’s district leading and balanced offense or about the Bruins’ leading defense.

“Anybody can be beat,†Windon said. “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you’ve done, all that matters is what happens in that game — they can be beat. We have to eliminate the mistakes and play our game.

“We have to forget about the past and come together right now and play as a team. We have to practice hard and practice like we want to play. We can’t make mistakes in practice. We can’t make mistakes in the game.â€

About those mistakes, Memorial has turned the ball over 15 times this year. The most recent turnover was rather significant, proving to be the difference in the Titans 29-23 loss to Lee. Memorial outgained and outplayed Lee in every facet of the game except turnovers and penalties.

“We have enough talent here to beat anyone in the state,†said King, leads the district with 42 receptions and 695 yards. “We are the best team in the state if we take away all the mistakes. I know we are more talented than them (West Brook).â€

Brown, who leads the district with 1,465 passing yards, agreed with King about the talent level.

“If we minimize the mistakes, we are the best team in this district,†Brown said. “I am concerned about them (West Brook) but I know we can beat them. Most of the time, the only thing that stops us is us. We have to minimize the mistakes and cut out all the penalties. That’s the only difference between West Brook and us, they don’t make the mistakes.â€

About Memorial’s high-powered offense, all four agreed it could be better and will have to be at its best Friday night when the Bruins visit Memorial Stadium.

We dont have anything tangilble to base it on, but we have this feeling that we are getting better.  After every loss there is a story like this out of Port Arthur.  Last week it was looking forward.  This week it is hoping to turn up the heat.  Next week it will be trying to heal up from the beating they took Friday night.  ;D

Guest WeedBegone

Coop just had to start another thread.  PAM was getting their A$$ kicked on the other one by all of the area posters.  Oh well scooter and titan ---here's another chance.  So right now WB is winning by only one thread.  In a few hours we should be up by two.  Another thread gets started we will be up by a field goal. LOL   

[[move]Turnin up da heat --- still gonna get  beat--- turnin and burnin---its over fore we meet--[/move]

Guest WBFan09

“If we minimize the mistakes, we are the best team in this district,†Brown said. “I am concerned about them (West Brook) but I know we can beat them. Most of the time, the only thing that stops us is us. We have to minimize the mistakes and cut out all the penalties. That’s the only difference between West Brook and us, they don’t make the mistakes.â€

this is my favorite quote...we dont make mistakes haha we have had like 8 TDs called back because of mistakes and penalties...

Hey pa titty, you remember a couple of weeks and two pam losses ago when you were making all those comments about b lee being overated and not being able to compete in the big games?  I was just wondering why so quite now?  Lets go multiple choice on you.

(A)  U talked smacked on LEE and then LEE beat PAM

(B)  PAM lost to kingwood who has only 1 win

©  PAM is fixen to play WB and get SLAUGHTERED

(D)  ALL OF THE ABOVE

Hmmmmmm. I gotta go with D.

Coop just had to start another thread.  PAM was getting their A$$ kicked on the other one by all of the area posters.  Oh well scooter and titan ---here's another chance.  So right now WB is winning by only one thread.  In a few hours we should be up by two.  Another thread gets started we will be up by a field goal. LOL   

[[move]Turnin up da heat --- still gonna get  beat--- turnin and burnin---its over fore we meet--[/move]

:D

we'll see Friday. calm before the storm, i will not post again about this game until gametime on friday  ;D

Man, some of you guys sound very.......confident. Maybe, overconfident. I know our boys can beat this PAM team, but ANYTHING can happen. I hope we do come out of PA with a victory, and I hope it's a big one......but I'm a little apprehensive about making the bold statements that some of you are making. Afterall, PAM does like to throw the ball, ALOT! And our pass defense was a little soft in our win over Sterling. Let's just hope the chips fall in our favor! :)

Hey pa titty, you remember a couple of weeks and two pam losses ago when you were making all those comments about b lee being overated and not being able to compete in the big games?  I was just wondering why so quite now?  Lets go multiple choice on you.

(A)  U talked smacked on LEE and then LEE beat PAM

(B)  PAM lost to kingwood who has only 1 win

©  PAM is fixen to play WB and get SLAUGHTERED

(D)  ALL OF THE ABOVE

Hmmmmmm. I gotta go with D.

hey lamont sanfort a.k.a. Big Dummy,you have not been reading or you can't. ask the lee fans what happend at the game. PAM outplayed lee.period. we obviously was out coached..

let's see,B. hmmmm.... go where  isaid we was going to beat kingwood. i said i was keeping my mouth shut because of what happend last year.

we lose to brook only because we will get outcoached.props to brook on having good coaching.it's all part of the game. go jump of the the orange bridge dude.it fits cause you are being a troll.

Ok...

Do I have to pick WB in every game from here on out simply because WB beat Lee?  lol

Cmon man...

Think about it before you post.

I'm just making my prediction on the game.

;D no you can predict the games any way you want.  Its a good thing your predictions dont decide who actually wins the games.

Man, some of you guys sound very.......confident. Maybe, overconfident. I know our boys can beat this PAM team, but ANYTHING can happen. I hope we do come out of PA with a victory, and I hope it's a big one......but I'm a little apprehensive about making the bold statements that some of you are making. Afterall, PAM does like to throw the ball, ALOT! And our pass defense was a little soft in our win over Sterling. Let's just hope the chips fall in our favor! :)

What's the matter champ? You can't be FAITHFUL to your team??????? You seem to have a problem with that......

What's the matter champ? You can't be FAITHFUL to your team??????? You seem to have a problem with that......

Being faithful doesn't have anything to do with it.......I was just being realistic in the fact that if our guys dont show up to play, this PAM team could take the wind out of our sails. I have and always will support my team!!! :P

Guest Robert Plant

Being FAITHFUL? Are you kidding me? I've been reading 82's stuff for a while. The dude bleeds WB. Faithful is being interested, concerned and celebrating the wins. Check out patitan. What's your take on him? I vote faithful. He's just not having too much fun right now 8)

Guest WBFan09

Being FAITHFUL? Are you kidding me? I've been reading 82's stuff for a while. The dude bleeds WB. Faithful is being interested, concerned and celebrating the wins. Check out patitan. What's your take on him? I vote faithful. He's just not having too much fun right now 8)

patitan is the most faithful fan i have seen on this site...he WILL NOT give up on his team and i respect that

This woman knows more about football than you give me credit for! Anyway, Champ knows what I was referring to when I say, Faithful, don't ya Champ! At least he is faithful to HIS WB, nothing else..we know that don't we Champ!

Yikes!  I'd change my screenname if I were you, Champ ( ;Dand my phone number)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder