Football stadium equipment

I have some questions. I hope they don’t sound too silly, because I have a serious reason for asking.

I’m curious about the down marker. The pole with the sign like indicator that gets moved up and down the sideline to mark the line of scrimmage and that shows a number, 1-4, for whichever down it is.

Q: Who owns that marker? Does it always stay at the same stadium? If so how many of them does a typical stadium have? Meaning—are there any spares?

Q: What is the approximate diameter of the pole? Is it bare metal or is it padded? Is there anything else that covers up the pole? And do these things vary from stadium to stadium or is it basically the same pole everywhere?

Sobriquet as for as I know all schools own their own markers, The ones that I have used are 1-inch aluminum pipe with a foam pad around the pipe, older down markers or the flip the number and the newer style you slide a handle to change the down number. (Question to you why do you ask this question?)

I have some questions. I hope they don’t sound too silly, because I have a serious reason for asking.

I’m curious about the down marker. The pole with the sign like indicator that gets moved up and down the sideline to mark the line of scrimmage and that shows a number, 1-4, for whichever down it is.

Q: Who owns that marker? Does it always stay at the same stadium? If so how many of them does a typical stadium have? Meaning—are there any spares?

Q: What is the approximate diameter of the pole? Is it bare metal or is it padded? Is there anything else that covers up the pole? And do these things vary from stadium to stadium or is it basically the same pole everywhere?

You're kinda freaking me out... :D

Sobriquet as for as I know all schools own their own markers, The ones that I have used are 1-inch aluminum pipe with a foam pad around the pipe, older down markers or the flip the number and the newer style you slide a handle to change the down number. (Question to you why do you ask this question?)

Thanks for the info.

As for why I asked, I’m just playing with a few ideas in my mind. From some of the things that have been said here, there might be a problem with spotting the marker. Just how accurate is the placement when for example the ball is on the opposite side of the field and the guys manning the sticks have to eyeball it. It’s possible this could even have an impact on the outcome of a game.

I’ve been wondering if there’s a simple and relatively inexpensive technological solution to the problem. Which leads to the questions about who owns the markers and how are they constructed.

I have some ideas but they’re just in the thinking about it phase.

Again thanks.

Incidentally, I realize that some people, even some who are part of the game, take a kind of lackadaisical attitude to the issue…

But, my strongly held opinion is that the game should be won or lost on the basis of how the players play and the coaches coach. It should never be won or lost because somebody else made a mistake.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83