Where are all the Ned fans...paging Mr. Mosely......

akifan94

Speaking of the refs, I have a question . . . When a kick goes out of bounds, where is the receiving team supposed to get the ball spotted?  The 30?  The 35?  The 40?  I saw the ball get spotted at both the 35 & the 30 last night.  Obviously, this in no way affected the outcome of the game, this is merely a rules question, as I am just curious as to where the ball is supposed to be spotted. 

I noticed that also. Seems like they marked off the 5 yard penalty from spot it went out for the spot on the 35. 

Wrong about that last comment.  Both players DID NOT catch the ball.  PNG had the inside position and caught the ball clean, but as they came down, the defender reached in to try to pull the ball out.  The official was in the right place to make the right call and rulled it a catch.  After that, the receiver let go of the ball because the call had been made, but since that left only the defender holding the ball, Neuman was livid because he thought it was an INT.    Watch the game Wed. night, you'l see that I'm right.

The inside position, the best position or anything else like that does not matter. That is not in the rules.

To have a catch, a player has to have control over the ball and have contact with the ground in bounds. When two players go into the air after a ball, control is not established until they reach the ground. Who had the better position has no bearing on the call. If the ball is being bobbled in the air or during the catch and both players have their hands on it controlling the ball at the same time, then the offense is awarded the ball. Once they touch the ground together, the play is dead and the ball is given to the offense. This is the rule:

COMPLETED PASS

ARTICLE 6. Any forward pass is completed when caught by a player of the passing team who is inbounds, and the ball continues in play unless completed in the opponent’s end zone or the pass has been caught simultaneously by opposing players. If a forward pass is caught simultaneously by opposing players inbounds, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing team.

If the official ruled that the PN-G player had sole possession of the ball when he came down (or never left the ground) then it is his ball. It is a judgment call by the official. If he ruled that both had possession of the ball, no matter who had the better position, then there was an improper ruling on the field.

I think the official ruled that the PN-G player had control over the ball (meaning he had established control over the ball and was in contact with the ground) before the Nederland defender put his hands on it. It is a judgment call on the field but the rule needs to be understood before arguing the point.

The inside position, the best position or anything else like that does not matter. That is not in the rules.

To have a catch, a player has to have control over the ball and have contact with the ground in bounds. When two players go into the air after a ball, control is not established until they reach the ground. Who had the better position has no bearing on the call. If the ball is being bobbled in the air or during the catch and both players have their hands on it controlling the ball at the same time, then the offense is awarded the ball. Once they touch the ground together, the play is dead and the ball is given to the offense. This is the rule:

COMPLETED PASS

ARTICLE 6. Any forward pass is completed when caught by a player of the passing team who is inbounds, and the ball continues in play unless completed in the opponents end zone or the pass has been caught simultaneously by opposing players. If a forward pass is caught simultaneously by opposing players inbounds, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing team.

If the official ruled that the PN-G player had sole possession of the ball when he came down (or never left the ground) then it is his ball. It is a judgment call by the official. If he ruled that both had possession of the ball, no matter who had the better position, then there was an improper ruling on the field.

I think the official ruled that the PN-G player had control over the ball (meaning he had established control over the ball and was in contact with the ground) before the Nederland defender put his hands on it. It is a judgment call on the field but the rule needs to be understood before arguing the point.

There was the problem. Our Broussard caught it, and then was tied up on the way to the ground. The catch was not simultaneous although it could have looked that way. Either way, good game.

Advancing the ball after the play is dead is a Delay of Game penalty. The ball was ruled dead and the PN-G player picked it up and ran down the field (at the urging of the coaches?)

The rule:

Illegal Delay of the Game

ARTICLE 2.

a. The ball shall be declared ready for play consistentlythroughout the game by the referee when the officials are in position.Consuming more than 25 seconds to put the ball in play after it is declared ready for play is an illegal delay.

b. Illegal delay also includes:

1. Deliberately advancing the ball after it is dead.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami