A Change needed in Vidor

Guest piratefaithful

Guest piratefaithful

Football is just a game. It gives you great teaching tools for later on in life. Let's get real, how many kids do you know who are going to get a full ride to a D1 University then get drafted into the big leauges to play on Sunday? The odds are slim to none.  Fans and sometimes coaches forget that this is just a game. Let's get behind these young men and give support and lend a hand in bettering their lives for the future. Coaches have the ability to mold minds and physical abilities, even more so then anyone else because of the time and dedication they put in to the program and for the fans of their respective communities.

On topic, Coach Matthews is a great motivator and AD for Vidor Athletics. I believe they can make simple changes to their offense to make them more of a threat then what they are. Their motto now seems to be, "Any given day." They have the ability to be a " EVERY DAY" program.

you are correct..but Vidor is only good for one good win a year..9 years and no results..

Its a building talent thing...  You guys have a big horse on JV 6'4" 270... Offensive lineman...  He is not soft and he works hard but hes on JV....  You take your size and athletic kids that are young and give them varsirty run... Time on the field...  You build your kids against the best talent.  Then they perform for you better as they get older!!!

Football is just a game. It gives you great teaching tools for later on in life. Let's get real, how many kids do you know who are going to get a full ride to a D1 University then get drafted into the big leauges to play on Sunday? The odds are slim to none.  Fans and sometimes coaches forget that this is just a game. Let's get behind these young men and give support and lend a hand in bettering their lives for the future. Coaches have the ability to mold minds and physical abilities, even more so then anyone else because of the time and dedication they put in to the program and for the fans of their respective communities.

On topic, Coach Matthews is a great motivator and AD for Vidor Athletics. I believe they can make simple changes to their offense to make them more of a threat then what they are. Their motto now seems to be, "Any given day." They have the ability to be a " EVERY DAY" program.

Excellent post! Changes do have to be made on offense weather its replacing the oc are turning over play calling to someone else. The game plan and play calling are not good.

Guest hootiehoo

I could have sworn part of the forum rules call for no bashing of coaches.  If you think posting on a public forum that the guy needs to lose his job isn't bashing, you are all wrong.

If you are really that concerned about the situation, go to the public school board meetings.  Don't hide behind some handle on this website and feel like you are standing up for your town.  Do it where you have to show your face.

JMO

I could have sworn part of the forum rules call for no bashing of coaches.  If you think posting on a public forum that the guy needs to lose his job isn't bashing, you are all wrong.

If you are really that concerned about the situation, go to the public school board meetings.  Don't hide behind some handle on this website and feel like you are standing up for your town.  Do it where you have to show your face.

JMO

Heres the FACT 9yrs 1 winning season!

Guest hootiehoo

Here's a FACT toad....out of the 10 or so posts of yours on this board....8 or 9 of them have been direct attacks on the coaching staff. 

Now, here's an opinion....stop hiding on the message board, find out when Vidor's next board meeting is, stand up and share your name, and voice your concerns. 

These types of people aren't the kind to show their faces. They are the first to bash and the first ones to storm the field when things are going good. If you call yourself a fan, then shut-up and support the team. This is not the time nor the place for your negative remarks.

Question, if you guys would have beat lumberton by 1 point, would we have all of these threads right now?

Honestly, I think if the game would have been close these threads would not be going right now. Our offense has struggled against everyone except Houston Jones and it has just got people frustrated. If you were at the game what did you think of the offense.

Guest band of brothers

Honestly, I think if the game would have been close these threads would not be going right now. Our offense has struggled against everyone except Houston Jones and it has just got people frustrated. If you were at the game what did you think of the offense.

I was there and was very suprised about the play calling, so I do understand your frustration but also not as many fans in the stands, usually you guys are a pretty rowdy bunch, it just didn't have the old rivalry feel as it usually does, what is going on in pirate land?

I was there and was very suprised about the play calling, so I do understand your frustration but also not as many fans in the stands, usually you guys are a pretty rowdy bunch, it just didn't have the old rivalry feel as it usually does, what is going on in pirate land?

Well heres my take on it. We have a limited playbook and very few formations so were pretty predictable in what were going to do. Its hard for the fans to get into the rhytum of a game when the offense we run is not going to produce very many big plays. Theres many other reasons but this board is not the place to go into them.

Guest band of brothers

Well heres my take on it. We have a limited playbook and very few formations so were pretty predictable in what were going to do. Its hard for the fans to get into the rhytum of a game when the offense we run is not going to produce very many big plays. Theres many other reasons but this board is not the place to go into them.

I understand completely ,being from lumberton and having to see coaches run the pass, pass, pass offense all the time, it was overkill to say the least. coach C and staff does a great job of mixing things up, and you are also right about topics left unsaid on this post, hence some of these threads being deleted! 

If a coach can't handle criticism, he needs to find another line of work. It really comes with the territory so he better learn to handle it. College and professional coaches have to answer questions immediately after games, win or lose, and they get grilled. Some make the national news. I believe a high school coach should be able to handle the Saturday morning grumblings on a message board.

Nice post! Everyone has someone to answer to. If you dont have a boss then you are one looking for answers. Just so happens the people that coaches have to answer to are school board members and the fans. This is the real world and every paying job out there is result driven. High school coaches are no different. It does not matter weather its Mathews are who ever when your in charge its on your shoulders.

Guest piratefaithful

These types of people aren't the kind to show their faces. They are the first to bash and the first ones to storm the field when things are going good. If you call yourself a fan, then shut-up and support the team. This is not the time nor the place for your negative remarks.

I will show my face and go to the school board..but it wont do any good.the school board loves him..He is a GREAT guy..and a GREAT role model..just not a head coach..It is just alot of people's opinion that it is time for a change..that is all..9 years and no results..where else could you go and have that long of a losing record and still be a head coach..what if the softball team had 9 years and still had a losing record??  would you still be supporting the coach?? I doubt it!!! It is not bashing just people'sopinion that it is time for a change in Vidor..Just like WOS thinks there OC needs to change,Just like PNG last year were calling for there head coach change..it is just people's opinion..

I will show my face and go to the school board..but it wont do any good.the school board loves him..He is a GREAT guy..and a GREAT role model..just not a head coach..It is just alot of people's opinion that it is time for a change..that is all..9 years and no results..where else could you go and have that long of a losing record and still be a head coach..what if the softball team had 9 years and still had a losing record??  would you still be supporting the coach?? I doubt it!!! It is not bashing just people'sopinion that it is time for a change in Vidor..Just like WOS thinks there OC needs to change,Just like PNG last year were calling for there head coach change..it is just people's opinion..

That is the most important part of it all.  He IS  GREAT person and role model.  He his job may be that of Athletic Director/Head Coach, BUT....in the big picture of things, it's life lessons that you want him to teach your kids.  And he does that well.  I'd much rather my son play for a man like Jeff Mathews and his current coaching staff than some of the other locals around here.  Truth of it is....Vidor has a tough time keeping kids involved in athletics through their entire high school years simply because alot of them choose to get jobs and help out their families.  So with that said, the Vidor coaching staff never really has a team loaded with Juniors and Seniors to work with like alot of other schools.  Give the man a break, I'll take him teaching my kid any day over most anybody else around here.

Guest piratefaithful

I agree.But if you are a head football coach in Southeasttexas then you need to win.That is your JOB.I like the guy..he coached my son but he needs to accept the fact that it is time for a change..he applied for Bridge City last year and didnt get the job..What does that tell you??How do players follow a coach when he tried to leave them last year??

I agree.But if you are a head football coach in Southeasttexas then you need to win.That is your JOB.I like the guy..he coached my son but he needs to accept the fact that it is time for a change..he applied for Bridge City last year and didnt get the job..What does that tell you??How do players follow a coach when he tried to leave them last year??

Can't answer that one....All I know is that my son currently plays for him, and he loves the man.  AND not once have I heard him complain about losing.  He's gained way more than W's and L's from Coach Mathews and I'll be the first to thank him for that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami