1A Region 3 contenders

Since we were on the topic of 1A district predictions i figured we could look at the whole region and see who everyone thinks will be the top contenders in region 3.  Here's a short list i came up with, see what yall think:

Cayuga- Made a run in last years playoffs, ranked high in the preseason, young and athletic.

Martins Mill- Always in contention because they have a great program (and its widely rumored they recruit) although they may not be as good as last year.

Big Sandy- Didnt lose anyone and ranked high, expect to make a run in the playoffs.

Broaddus- Went a couple rounds in the playoffs, expected to be good again.

Slocum- Didnt lose much to graduation, made it to 2nd round last year and expected to be better.

Zavalla- Dont know much about them but heard they looked really good in summer league.

I dont know much about some of the districts like district 17 18 and 20 especially.  But other teams i would watch out for would be Lapoyner, Mount Enterprise, North Hopkins and Avery.

What do yall think? would like to hear some opinions from people that know a little about the region.  wshalum and ugahoopz seem to know about basketball outside this area so i'd be interested to hear their opinions.

Cayuga as you said will be young and VERY athletic, no one will be able to match them in that category.

Martins Mill will be good as always, very well coached and rarely make mistakes. Lost great player in Brant Ethridge.

Big Sandy lost two starters, one very good defensive stopper and a point guard with great leadership on the court. Still have good post, will be great contenders.

Slocum had disappointing end last year, expect them to come back fired up with revenge.

Broaddus lost quite a few seniors I believe, and what about that one player they had who got hurt with a season ending injury? Was he a senior? He was a great player.

Zavalla.....can't say too much on them because I simply don't know anything about them.

Good assessment of the teams overall, nikes.

Zavalla prolly won't make play-offs this year maybe the 3rd spot in district 23-A

Your being to nice if what I saw this summer was all they have playing.Broaddus didn't look bad and Brookeland looks to be back in contention.What is Chireno gonna have this year??They put up some big numbers last year.

cayuga will be tough very athletic but last year when WH beat them WH showed that if you can make them play basketball not streetball they can be beat

Big sandy will be just as good as last maybe not as deep

martin mills lost two great players both were posts

i look for west sabine to be good dont know what they lost but they will always be athletic

I didn't get to see West Hardin at the regional tournament but I saw them 5 or 6 time in the regular season.I don't know how Martin Mills matched up with them.They were as good as any 1-a team at the drum last year.Martin Mills always has tradition though so BS will have to play well to beat them.

Brookelands not in District 23-A, and Broaddus is always good at basketball. Chireno should do just fine in their district they lost all of their varsity except 2 people, a senior and a sophmore. They will have 1 senior and 4 sophmores starting this year so they will be young.

Anything can happen at the drum.I thought Martins Mill had it won last year but a careless cross court pass with about 4 seconds left made for a long trip home for them.One things for sure whoever wins this region will definitely be capable of winning it all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard 2 of the teams i listed, Broaddus and Martins Mill, played each other in a tournament last week.  I heard it was a close game, MM was winning most of the game but then it was tied after 3 quarters, but Martins Mill ended up winning 44-34.  I heard neither team played well, Broaddus missed easy shots and took bad shots.  Both of these teams were fairly evenly matched, Broaddus was a little more athletic, but Martins Mill was just better in the end.  This could possibly be a preview of the regional final, but obviously anything can happen, and there are several other teams in the mix that are right there and could challenge for it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83