HJ is nothing without donahoe

Guest ST4life

They have as much chance of getting 3rd in district as Silsbee does of not making the hoop playoffs.....NONE!!!!

look i backed off of the Basketball forum dont make me come back so dont strat talkin about Silsbee

Guest ST4life

Ok explain yourself where is Silsbee getting all this talent to kill HJ with? SIlsbee lost all their big guys and their guard that was all region tournament so where is all the talent from??

where is HJ's talent coming from  :o

Speaking of Donahoe. If I understand correctly, he did not receive an invitation to play ball at a higher level. If I am wrong and he is playing or on a team this season could someone tell me which team that would be. I am not trying to put him down but a friend of mine from HJ told me of the three scholarships received for last years team, his was not one of them. I told him I thought he was mistaken, so I would like to know if he is playing ball somewhere.

Ryan is playing at Navarro Junior College in Corsicana with Richard Netherly last I heard.  He actually turned down strong offers from Wagner, Nichols State and SFA.  He also had some verbal offers from Mississippi and another school in New York.  His AAU coach told him he could get better offers than those that had been offered......HE WAS WRONG and now is going the JUCO route!!! 

I cannot let this one slide. His AAU coach and his brother that paid for all the travel, uniforms, shoes, entry fees, hotel cost and food for 20-30 kids a summer is far from what some of you may think. The time and money put into a program for kids like Ryan Donahoe is far more than most realize. And what has his coach and brother received for their time and money. Nothing in return. They just enjoy helping the kids out that want a chance at playing at the next level and put the kids into a position to improve their talents during the summer and possibly get looked at by coaches that would not have seen them play otherwise. Any player being looked at by several schools receives advice from a lot of people. What advice he decides to take becomes the players decision, not the coaches, not the parents, friends or even other college coaches. 

Tell me why Ryan turned down an SFA offer for a JUCO.  There may be a reason I'd just like to hear it.  He was arguable the best recruit in our area last year.  It was reported  he was waiting for serious D1 offer with the advice of his AAU coach.  If that is not true I apologize for my remark.  If it is true, his coach was a generous, kind and caring idiot!

You will have to ask Ryan why he would have made the choices he made. I do believe that you are way off base calling someone you do not know an idiot on second or third hand information. On the other hand I believe you are making real progress since you did say he was generous, kind  and caring. That part I will agree with you on.

you never know what the situation is but maybe ryan witn to his aau coach and said do you think i can play at the D1 level and his aau coach said yes and ryan took it upon himself and turned down SFA thinking he as going to get better offers and why didnt Coach sutherland have a say in it i always thought he was a big influence in his players life's

Last time I checked SFA was a pretty good D1 school. I think Coach Sutherland would have loved to see Ryan take that scholarship.In the end it was his decision.I think his knee may of had a little more to do with it than anyone knows.If he is healthy he will play D1 ball eventually if thats what he wants to do.Wish him the best in whatever he decides to do.

Guest nostradamus

Okay fellas, here are the facts.

Ryan's decision was Ryan's decision.  Ryan did seek out information from his coaches (both AAU and high school).  However, no one can make a player make a decision.  Was some of the information/advice given poor?  In my opinion, probably so.  Was the poor advice given on purpose for the detriment of Ryan?  Not at all.  Different people have different views on things.  In this day and age of recruiting many people are involved in the process.  Sometimes that is good and sometimes that is bad.  The bottom line is:  it is the kid's decision.  I can assure you that we did not try to push Ryan's decision one way or another.  As a coach, you cannot do that because if it doesn't work out then it is on you as the coach for making the decision for him.  Did we think that he should have taken the SFA offer?  Absolutely.  They had the papers on our desk on signing day.  No one else did.  My opinion is that unless you are 6'10" and very athletic (just an example) that you should take a DI offer on the spring signing day.  The risk is not worth the reward of waiting.  In the DI college world 6'0" PG's are a dime a dozen.  However, for his own personal reasons Ryan decided to wait and take that risk.  That is something that no one can control.......not even the AAU coach.  Ryan had his pick of JUCO's in Texas.  He chose Navarro, and again, for his own reasons.  The good part about this is that the choices he made were his and his only.  All he could do is listen to the advice given and then try to make an educated decision.  That is what he did.  The flip side of his decision to go JUCO is that if he handles it right and puts up the numbers he is capable of he could get what he wants.  Look at Dominique Keller from PAM.  Coming out of high school, Southland was the best he was getting.  After one year at Lee JUCO, he is trying to decide between Kansas and Kentucky.  There are advantages to the JUCO route.......but it is high risk, high reward.

I'll get off my soap box now but I felt the FACTS needed to be presented.

Okay fellas, here are the facts.

Ryan's decision was Ryan's decision.  Ryan did seek out information from his coaches (both AAU and high school).  However, no one can make a player make a decision.  Was some of the information/advice given poor?  In my opinion, probably so.  Was the poor advice given on purpose for the detriment of Ryan?  Not at all.  Different people have different views on things.  In this day and age of recruiting many people are involved in the process.  Sometimes that is good and sometimes that is bad.  The bottom line is:  it is the kid's decision.  I can assure you that we did not try to push Ryan's decision one way or another.  As a coach, you cannot do that because if it doesn't work out then it is on you as the coach for making the decision for him.  Did we think that he should have taken the SFA offer?  Absolutely.  They had the papers on our desk on signing day.  No one else did.  My opinion is that unless you are 6'10" and very athletic (just an example) that you should take a DI offer on the spring signing day.  The risk is not worth the reward of waiting.  In the DI college world 6'0" PG's are a dime a dozen.  However, for his own personal reasons Ryan decided to wait and take that risk.  That is something that no one can control.......not even the AAU coach.  Ryan had his pick of JUCO's in Texas.  He chose Navarro, and again, for his own reasons.  The good part about this is that the choices he made were his and his only.  All he could do is listen to the advice given and then try to make an educated decision.  That is what he did.  The flip side of his decision to go JUCO is that if he handles it right and puts up the numbers he is capable of he could get what he wants.  Look at Dominique Keller from PAM.  Coming out of high school, Southland was the best he was getting.  After one year at Lee JUCO, he is trying to decide between Kansas and Kentucky.  There are advantages to the JUCO route.......but it is high risk, high reward.

I'll get off my soap box now but I felt the FACTS needed to be presented.

Good post coach!  Most folks do not realize the effect that coaches have on our kids lives.  Ryan had excellent coaches within the school system, mucho experience with kids in Ryan's situation.  Well, I do wish Ryan success, he's a great kid.  "And that's all i going to say about that!" (Forest Gump)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin