Former TJ Coach to make decision Saturday!

MIKE OWENS AND WIFE IN HENDERSON THIS MORNING (SATURDAY), DECISION COMING SOON...

Tyler Lee athletic director and head football coach Mike Owens and his wife Kathy woke up early this morning and are currently touring the city of Henderson as Coach Owens tries to make his decision on whether to take the job in Henderson or remain at Robert E. Lee High School.

Owens told me "My wife and I have so much to digest, I'm going to have my decision on whether to stay or accept the job in Henderson by sometime late-Saturday morning, or early in the afternoon."

Meanwhile, Henderson superintendent Tommy Alexander says he feels "very positive" about his all-day meeting with Coach Owens.

Superintendent Alexander said Owens was able to meet with a lot of people, from the principal, curriculum people, and members of the HISD school board during his nearly ten-hours in Henderson on Friday.

Mr. Alexander continued to stress his school district has a school board meeting scheduled for noon on Monday with every intention of recommending the name of Mike Owens as their next athletic director and head football coach.

I've also had conversations with TISD athletic director Danny Long, and TISD school board president Andy Bergfeld, and they both stressed they will try and do what is necessary to keep Coach Owens, unless HISD's offer is "borderline-ridiculous".

Owens, who led Tyler Lee to the Class 5-A Division Two State Championship in 2004, has been the head coach at Lee since 1996.

Other quotes from superintendent Alexander...

"Coach Owens was able to get a good picture of the positives and weaknesses we have in our athletic department, and what needs to be done. We know he'll accentuate the positives, and we know he's the man to help alleviate and correct any weaknesses."

"Henderson I.S.D. represented itself very well on Friday, we've done our best, we've done our job well, and now we'll just have to wait and see."

"There's a lot of speculation about the overall financial package we've offered Coach Owens, and although we've put together something that we hope will bring him to Henderson, I think there's more to it than that. I think it could be the challenge of turning this program around, along with something here and there that he can do here in Henderson that he can't do with the system they have in Tyler."

MIKE OWENS TALKS ABOUT DECISION TO STAY AT TYLER LEE...

Here's part of my conversation with Mike Owens...who today decided to turn down the offer from Henderson I.S.D.

"I was very honored to be called in the first place, went to visit their facilities, class operation, demand excellence...trying to do things right...never seen such a great group of people, shocked at what they're willing to do to get their athletic department back on track. it was a tough-tough decision, my loyalties are here in tyler...tough-tough decision."

"Tyler is such a tough place to leave, this is my kids hometown...everyone has graduated, my daughter is a junior, my wife loves her job at TMFHS...if this was a strictly financial decision, this was a no-brainer...something that will never happen again in my life...I'm tied to Tyler, Danny Long and Dr. Simmons are major reasons for me staying at Lee...they are really incredible for our system."

"I feel like a million-pounds have come off my back...I can't think of one reason I should've turned down the job, except one...a very important one....my emotions and my connections to Tyler..."

"I also feel for Supt. Alexander and Henderson, they did such a great job, and they deserve a great coach, and I wish them the best of luck...".

Mike and I spoke at length for a long time on AM600 KTBB...and we'll have more details later in the day.

Smoaky

Earnie Starns pulled on that on us back about five years ago here in huffman. He was offered about $85,000.00 and went back to Sheldon and got more money. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Owens stayed for one reason and one only. MONEY I spoke to someone that was offered that same job back in 88 or 89 and said that they will pay whatever to win. Owens got more money and who wants to Coach where you are going to be under the microscope every week like Henderson?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder