**Liberty 28 Bridge City 25 FINAL/COMMENTS**

The Cardinals are young and small, but they showed more heart tonight "as a team" than the Varsity squad has in YEARS!  I believe we completed more passes tonight in the wet conditions than ALL of last year!  What a surprise!

Yes, it will be a bit of a down year, because of youth and inexperience, but it will be an UP year for "team" play.  Coach Stump has apparently challenged these kids, are they are TRYING to meet his challenge.

No one likes an 0-1 record, but there were a lot of glimpses into the future tonight, and they looked bright!  GREAT JOB, GUYS!

Thanks.. :)... I think BC was about the same size as Liberty.. I'd say most of ours were bigger.. But yeah this was the first Varsity experience for about 30 kids.. hanging with Liberty, a playoff team last year, I'd say we did pretty good... I still think we should've won, too many penalties, and way too many dropped passes.. and we need some protection for our punts.. if we whad that down we'd be 1-0, but still good game Tonight Cardinals!!

It was a real nailbiter. Considering the weather I thought both teams looked pretty even. Liberty made way to many mistakes and turnovers in the second half and Bridge City almost pulled out a win. Now we need to play a full 4 quarters against Hamshire Fannett next week and try to improve from week to week. Liberty is very young also. The QB and the two starting wingbacks are all juniors and all but two of the linemen are underclassmen.

Cardinals comeback falls short, 28-25, to Liberty

Cody Pastorella

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Trailing 28-13 at half, the Bridge City Cardinals closed the gap to 28-25 with two minutes to play in Friday night’s loss to the Liberty Panthers at Cardinal Stadium. But that’s how it ended.

Even after the Cardinals failed to recover their onside kick attempt, they were still given chances to win.

Liberty running back Josh White, who ran for 223 yards on 23 carries and a touchdown, coughed up the Panthers’ fifth fumble in the game with just 1:36 to play. BC took over on its own 38-yard line; but on the ensuing play, junior quarterback Dustin Breaux sailed his fourth interception of the night into the hands of Liberty’s Steven Gee.

Liberty’s James Freeman picked off two passes on back-to-back possessions in the fourth quarter when the score was 28-19. The first pick came with 11 minutes still to play and the second with four minutes left.

BC finally cut the score to 28-25 when Breaux darted around the left side for a six-yard run and his third rushing touchdown of the game. Breaux scored through the air as well. He hooked up with Luke Rhodes in the third quarter which made the score 28-19.

Breaux was 13-of-35 passing for 197 yards. Rhodes grabbed eight passes for 129 yards, including a 31-yard play on third down with time ticking away.

Breaux led the Cardinals in rushing with 98 yards on 19 carries. Breaux’s running mate Joe Robertson picked up 70 yards on 15 carries and also caught four passes for 37 yards.

The Cardinals looked sharp to start the game. Breaux came out of the gates for 35 yards on the ground and 44 yards through the air on 4-of-5 passing. Breaux finished the 17-play opening drive with a 2-yard sneak up the middle on a fourth-and-goal situation.

The Panthers quickly responded with a score of their own when quarterback Jon Erik Zalesak punched in a 1-yard sneak after just nine plays and 2:30 minutes with the ball. That score knotted the game at 7.

Not to be outdone, Breaux toasted the Liberty defense on the fourth play of BC’s second drive with a 51-yard scamper that pushed the lead to 13-7.

White responded with a 73-yard bruising run up the middle that set him free around the 40-yard line and no one could catch him from there, making the score 13-13 at the end of the first quarter.

BC’s next two possessions ended with blocked punts and set up Liberty with great field position. Liberty made the score 19-13 in the second quarter when Zalesak hooked up with Gee for a 17-yard touchdown play. Later in the quarter, the Panthers stretched their lead to 25-13 after Zalesak punched in his second 1-yard touchdown sneak.

Liberty added a field goal before the half on a 26-yard laser from Josue Cleto.

bc was the same size for the most part..except #35 in the black and gold...

experience hurt tonight but they will learn to take care of the ball.  i was VERY impressed with the new offense.  so impressed that im EXTREMELY jealous, and happy for the guys that get to experience that.  consider this.  both joe robertson and luke rhodes passed me (2nd leading pass catcher from a year ago with 3 thats right three catches) in one game.  and luke rhodes is already more than half way to the team lead from a year ago at 14.  and they STILL ran the ball pretty well.  where was coach stump three years ago  ???

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476