WO-S 34 Vidor 7 Final/Game Scrimmage Final

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WO-S topples Vidor for a scrimmage

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — It was the final preparation for the West Orange-Stark Mustangs and the first opportunity that the Vidor Pirates had to see someone in a different uniform when the two teams squared off at Dan R. Hooks Stadium in a scrimmage encounter Saturday night.

The Mustangs went on to defeat the Pirates 34-7 in what was a four-quarter real game format for the most part.

Mustang junior quarterback Ortavious Hypolite was solid in leading the Mustang offense as he passed for two touchdowns. Senior tailback DePauldrick Garrett, who zipped for 1,389 yards and 17 touchdowns on 191 carries in the Mustangs’ 11-1 campaign of a year ago was impressive as well, breaking several big runs, including a 65-yard touchdown.

The Pirates, who had spring practice, moved the ball well in the first half behind the leadership of senior quarterback Roman Franklin. Franklin led Vidor on one nice, long scoring drive. The Pirates, however, with it being their first scrimmage and all, were hampered by a few penalties.

“Those type of things are always going to happen early on,†said Pirate head coach Jeff Mathews at halftime. “I thought we moved the ball well at times and Roman (Franklin) looks pretty good early. Getting a look at West Orange-Stark and all the speed that they possess, that’s only going to help us.â€

Long-time Mustang head coach Dan Hooks liked what he saw for the most part out of the Mustangs.

“Overall, I think our offense is looking pretty good,†Hooks said. “Hypolite keeps getting better throwing the ball. Garrett is a little running machine and I thought our offensive line showed improvement. Defensively, Vidor moved the ball inside us pretty good in the first half but they straightened things out pretty good there late.â€

The Mustangs, defending District 21-3A champions, will kick off their regular season at home Friday night against defending District 22-4A champion Dayton.

Vidor, which went 3-7 last season, will not play its opener until Sept. 7. The Pirates will welcome Houston St. Pius, which won the TAPPS state crown last year with a 13-0 mark.

Guest Bulldog

WO-S has a long seeason ahead of them.....won't be easy just to make the playoffs playing like that....only time will tell how fast they grow up.........

Well I guess that is good..I believe Mathews will try to control the game by running it and keep the other teams offense off the field.And if you have a strong running game then you will more then likely be able to accomplish that.Dayton will be tough,we hung with Cenral last year ,and the rest we should be right there competing .I appreciate it WOS92.Good luck to yall

I really liked the 4 Quarter scrimmage. Is it just me or did Vidor keep calling the same 4 plays on offense? The whole time there sticking to the same plays they are also alternating running backs in  so much you don't know who is who. The first 3  Possessions of the game they had a powerhouse runningback playing. Who is he? He looked stout! They definently have power. You almost got a feeling like hooks wanted to win and Vidor was hiding something.

Vidor has a few good running backs..they have a kid named Theron reynolds who is big and fast..He is a true fullback..there is also another one named Pilsbury.and they have about two or three other ones.

I wasnt at the game, but I do know that they have the running backs and they have already said that there going to run the ball right at you.Only thing i can think of about running the same plays and switching alot of kids out is that they wanted to get looks at alot of different people.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder