Titan DB adds on to sister’s legacy

www.panews.com

Titan DB adds on to sister’s legacy

By Dave Rogers

The Port Arthur News

In June, a Nashville automobile accident claimed the life of an outstanding athlete from Port Arthur.

In the aftermath of that tragedy, her younger brother has arrived on the Port Arthur scene from Virginia.

Desmond Gardiner has all the characteristics of being another outstanding athlete for Port Arthur.

“Coming here is special,†said the brother of Joycelyn Gardiner, who representing Memorial at the state track meet when she lived in Port Arthur.

“I get to graduate from the same school she graduated from.â€

Desmond Gardiner, 15, is a junior defensive back vying for a starting job with Memorial High’s football team.

While Jocelyn Gardiner, 22, was attending Tennessee State University and competing for the Tigerbelle track team, younger brother Desmond was living in Chesapeake, Va., a suburb of Norfolk, with his mother.

Even though seven years separated the two in age, they still competed as siblings are wont to do.

“I equalled her fastest time in the 200 (meters) in my first meet last year,†Desmond said.

He said he moved in with his father in Port Arthur June 15, the day before his sister was killed when another driver ran a red light and crashed his car into Gardiner’s at a Nashville intersection.

Desmond Gardiner said he made the decision to transfer to Memorial, because ‘I think I’ll have a better opportunity to get looked at by major colleges and get a scholarship.’

The younger Gardiner was a varsity backup as a sophomore at Chesapeake’s Great Bridge High School, a Class 5A school with just under 2,000 students.

Memorial, also a 5A school, is similar in size.

But Gardiner said at his old high school, he played several positions — running back, cornerback and linebacker — and he welcomes the chance to specialize with the Titans.

“I’d rather stay at one position,†he said. “I think that’ll be better.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami