Feisty Cardinals fare well against Anahuac

Feisty Cardinals fare well against Anahuac

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Cris Stump may have inherited a young Bridge City Cardinal football team, but one thing he saw in his squads’ first scrimmage was all-out hustle.

The Cardinals, looking to replace a ton of starters on both sides of the ball, got after the Anahuac Panthers from the first whilstle to the last in their first look at getting after someone else in a different colored uniform.

Bridge City quarterback Dustin Breaux looked like an escape artist at times and showed a good arm and also broke loose on an 80-yard keeper for a touchdown and tailback Joe Robertson cut broke away for a 60-yard touchdown run as the Cardinals outscored the Panthers 2-1 in the controlled scrimmage portion.

The Cardinals also scored in an overtime simulation with Breaux connecting with Eric Mosely on about a 20-yard scoring toss.

“I thought the kids really did some nice things offensively,†Stump said. “We moved the ball well and I was pleased with the way we passed the ball too. There is still so much to work on at this point but overall, we saw a lot of positives.â€

The Cardinal defense came up with several huge plays throughout, including picking off a couple Panther passes and forcing a fumble near the goal-line on Anahuac’s overtime possession.

“Defensively, we looked so much better than the day before at practice,†Stump said. “The defense did an excellent job and I thought they went full speed pretty well until the whistle blew. Many times I saw 11 red jersies going towards the football and that was excellent. The kids gave a great effort.â€

The Cardinals will play host to Little Cypress-Mauriceville in a scrimmage this Thursday with the freshmen starting at 5 p.m. followed by the JV and varsity. The Cardinals open up the season Aug. 31 at home against Liberty.

The Orangefield Bobcats played host to Coldspring Saturday morning. The game was tied at one touchdown apiece until Coldspring scored late to go up 2-1.

Orangefield will host Liberty in a scrimmage Friday with the freshmen starting at 5 p.m. followed by the JV and varsity.

LC-M, which scrimmaged at Willis Saturday night, will start their season off by hosting their first four games as the Bears will start the season Aug. 31 against Conroe Caney Creek.

The West Orange-Stark Mustangs ventured to Mont Belvieu Saturday. The Mustangs won the controlled part of the scrimmage, scoring two touchdowns and they held the Eagles scoreless. WO-S also scored a touchdown in a game situation and held the Eagles scoreless again.

WO-S will wrap up its scrimmage schedule by host Vidor Saturday with the freshmen starting at 5 p.m. followed by the junior varsity and varsity. The Mustangs open their 2007 campaign at home against Dayton Aug. 31. Vidor will open its season at home Sept. 7 against defending TAPPS Big School champion Houston St. Pius.

The Deweyville Pirates scrimmaged both Hemphill and Center Saturday and tied them both in 0-0 deadlocks.

Deweyville will head to West Sabine Saturday and will be involved in a tri-scrimmage with both West Sabine and Mount Union. The Pirates open the season at home Aug. 31 against Vinton (La.).

Seems strange how just one side gets reported. The Panthers also scored in the OT simulation. In fact they stuffed it down BC's throat. The fumble was wiped out by inadvertant whistle. Also, Anahuac intercepted passes. Come on. If you are going to report, be fair and give both teams their due.

Seems strange how just one side gets reported. The Panthers also scored in the OT simulation. In fact they stuffed it down BC's throat. The fumble was wiped out by inadvertant whistle. Also, Anahuac intercepted passes. Come on. If you are going to report, be fair and give both teams their due.

Don't take it personal deer slayer it was from their hometown paper.How did Anahuac look under the new coach? I saw alot of atheletes on there side last year when they came to Warren.

stuffed it down thier throats??.. you come on..

Deer Slayer, stuffed it down their throats?? come on man, not sure if that was a good way to describe the game, BUT what I did see was a team that didn't lay down when things weren't going their way. I know that the past teams would lay down when things weren't going their way and open up that can of quit!! That is a credit to coach and his staff. This is a new system and the team will get better as the year goes on.. Hang in there deer slayer, maybe the Bayton Sun will run an article so you can post it!!  ;D

I stand by my analysis," stuffed it down their throats." I am talking only during the OT situation. The Panthers scored on the 4th try. Also, "The Barbers Hill Sun", oh, excuse me, "The Baytown Sun" does not consider Anahuac to be a local team. Besides that, they are really hurting for sports writers there.

I stand by my analysis," stuffed it down their throats." I am talking only during the OT situation. The Panthers scored on the 4th try. Also, "The Barbers Hill Sun", oh, excuse me, "The Baytown Sun" does not consider Anahuac to be a local team. Besides that, they are really hurting for sports writers there.

Yeah liek you said it took 4 trys for them to get a yard... ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder