Albert Pujols crying again...

Albert Pujols crying again...

So much talent...so immature.

Pujols irked about getting left on bench

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Albert Pujols was angry about being left on the All-Star bench and the St. Louis slugger took aim at the National League manager — who just happened to be Tony La Russa of his own Cardinals.

"It's the All-Star game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here."

Pujols, the NL MVP in 2005 and key to the Cardinals' win in the World Series last year, said La Russa didn't talk to him the entire game.

Pujols could only watch when Aaron Rowand flied out with the bases loaded to end the American League's 5-4 win.

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

With the 32-man rosters, it's not uncommon for few players to be left out. The AL used 27 players, while the NL used 28.

Pujols and Texas shortstop Michael Young — last year's All-Star game MVP — were the only position players who didn't get into the game. Ever since the 2002 event ended in an extra-innings tie, managers have tended to hold a hitter back just in case.

La Russa said he indeed was saving his star player in case the game went long.

"Once we lost (Miguel) Cabrera and (Freddy) Sanchez, he was the guy we were going to use to protect ourselves in case we kept playing because of Albert's versatility," La Russa said. "I think we had the right guy at bat."

A six-time All-Star, Pujols finished about 770,000 votes behind starting first baseman Prince Fielder. He played left field regularly in 2002 and '03 and also saw time at third base in 2001 and '02.

Pujols said he was getting his body loose the whole night.

"I was ready to go since the game started," Pujols said.

Pujols is mired in a career-worst home run slump — 22 games and a career-worst 74 at-bats. He is tied with Chris Duncan for the team lead with 16 homers and his last homer was off Kansas City's Jimmy Gobble on June 14.

I wouldn't say he is crying. I honestly would be pretty upset as well. I may get killed for this but I see why he is mad. He could have spent the few days off the break would have given him with his family, but decided to play in the game and expected to get an at bat. With the game on the line who would you want up there, Pujols or Aaron Rowand? He has been an All-Star many times before and like many players do after a few times, he could have declined the invitation to spend time with his family. Many NFL Players do this with the Pro-Bowl. I don't think he handled it well by coming out publicly, but I can see where he is coming from.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124