If The UIL Ask You To Change One Rule In Hi School Football

..........................Plus high school doesn't even have Challenges so, if a ref unbelivably said a player didn't get touched while standing back up (but obviously did) and scored a touchdown...THAT WOULD SUCK! ............

That goes both ways however. I have seen times that a player broke a long run but an official out of position called a player down with no contact but his knee touched. The only problem is that the knee did not touch but the ref had a bad angle. Any way that you can describe a bad call can go either way.

I remember the long run by Troy Sumrall against Sweeny where he went 99 yards. His knees were almost touching the ground the last 5-10 yards with a Sweeny player hanging on his back. The ref was almost on his hands and knees (he might have even been on his knees) watching and called the touchdown. The ref's actions and call of the touchdown was almost as fun to watch as the run. That was great for Nederland but what if the ref had not been two feet away and bending down watching?

As A HS official let me say a few things. 1) you will never see a 1st year guy working a varsity game 2) as an umpire my job is to wacth the play in FRONT of the direction of the ball so how could I call holding on the weak side when I'm not looking that way 3) Texas is one of 2 states to go by NCAA rules and the NCAA tie breaker is the best available, if the NFL wasn't so hard headed they would adopt it but they will never admit that college has a better way and last but most important, the rule I would change is I would eliminate ALL blocking below the waist.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder