BEST FOOD PLOT

My dad and I manage a little over 3k acres here in Hardin Co for a group of men (owners) from Miss. Last yr we (they) planted 8 plots with the smallest at 5 acres and the largest 30 acres with Winter Wheat and White Clover, the deer kept the wheat mowed down and hardly touched the clover. The wheat never got over 2" tall and the clover went to seed. These were planted in late Aug. with a lrg hopper-spreader with seed and fert mixed. One thing to take into consideration is be sure and plant all you can in a given area or the deer will wipe you out before you get a good stand. A grown WT will eat 3% of their body weight dailey. Next yr we will plant 2 30 acre plots with Soybean and high fence it till the beans start to show then drop the fence. I have attended 2 seminars concerning feeding protien pellets and both said no plots while feeding protien so as the deer will eat the highest protien available, thats why we were going to go with the 'beans' next spring, and the wheat in the fall.     

I hunt in Hardin CO. and I just planted (6/26) and will plant again late aug. early sept. Like 643 said youve got to plant enough to hold the WT or they will wipe you out. I planted about 4 ac. and you can get the seeds at most feed stores I paid $40 for a 50# bag dont worry about the PH just spread them on the ground and they will come up bst if you can disc the ground but not a must

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest beat-em_deep

I prefer the old bumper-feeder full of corn method...hit the switch, ride back over it in the highrack, there they are (usually), glass'em and blast'em...Now that's my kind of food plot

well that dont always work in setx lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami