A brief look at next years B C Cardinals

I would like to compliment all the young men who have participated in this "what if" discussion. You all see to have a good handle on the dynamics of baseball and see the different efficiency levels under different conditions: especially according to who is on the mound.

Intelligence is an important factor in baseball strategy and you guys seem to have a good serving of diamond savvy.

lol thanks I'm already excited to see how the new breed of Cardinals do next year!! we've been good up to now and I think we can go really far next year....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this whole thing over one more time and it is really good.  Young men who have graduated expressing thoughts on the upcoming team; a Mom hoping her son gets to play some;  youth working hard off season to make the team; seasoned returnees envisioning various scenarios that would help the defense--this was a really good exchange of ideas.

I would like to encourage Jasper, Orangefield, and the other players and fans of other 21-3A schools to start a thread just like this one; so that we can enjoy your ideas about your team for next season.

You are very correct, this has been very enlightening and a good indication of how the team will shape up next year.  As far as me being a mom hoping her son gets to play some, that would be nice because I and several who know him and have seen him play know the talent he has, but I doubt very seriously he will.  He apparently does not have what it takes to play BC ball, or maybe I don't.  I firmly believe that a kid should make the team because of talent and ability, not because I call the coach or show up at each and every practice or tell him he has to suck up big time to make it.  So, with all that in consideration, I doubt he will play.  But that will be okay too, he is directing his attention to football and basketball where he is recognized as having the heart and talent to play and is doing very well.  My whole point in all this was that surely there is talent galore in the upperclassmen without passing that up to pull up freshmen players.  But who knows, when the time comes, it may very well happen.  It would not be a surprise. 

You are very correct, this has been very enlightening and a good indication of how the team will shape up next year.  As far as me being a mom hoping her son gets to play some, that would be nice because I and several who know him and have seen him play know the talent he has, but I doubt very seriously he will.  He apparently does not have what it takes to play BC ball, or maybe I don't.  I firmly believe that a kid should make the team because of talent and ability, not because I call the coach or show up at each and every practice or tell him he has to suck up big time to make it.  So, with all that in consideration, I doubt he will play.  But that will be okay too, he is directing his attention to football and basketball where he is recognized as having the heart and talent to play and is doing very well.  My whole point in all this was that surely there is talent galore in the upperclassmen without passing that up to pull up freshmen players.  But who knows, when the time comes, it may very well happen.  It would not be a surprise. 

This could be descriptive of alot of schools and their choices!

To Cards_Mom--In many years of following sports I have seen some politics such as:

1. Kids getting gross favoritism because parents are employed by the local school.

2. Kids that are flat better but younger sitting while weaker Seniors play.

3. Kids that are older not getting to play cause the Coach is building a team for two years away, the year prior to when he/she plans to trade jobs.

4. Kids getting discriminated against because the parent are either --rich or poor.

5. District Coaches trading their personal youth too fill the All-District positions, mostly in lower classification schools.

I would hope if your child is the best and that he plays; but likewise, if there is a younger player that is markedly better, then that child should play in his place.

It is tough being a parent is some circumstances, right?

What reason would the coach play somebody of less talent. His reputation is based on wins. You mention sucking up -- the man had a person run for school board just to try and fire him.. The man plays who he thinks will help win the game..instead of gripeing about the coach look at some real facts --- ask the school board why?

jasper --- 4 coaches    bc --- 3

jasper baseball budget 30,000    bc budget  5,000

how many injuries are associated to summer ball...

didn't hicks and jackson both get hurt during the summer

Gripe about something real not about phantom injustices...

To Cards_Mom--In many years of following sports I have seen some politics such as:

1. Kids getting gross favoritism because parents are employed by the local school.

2. Kids that are flat better but younger sitting while weaker Seniors play.

3. Kids that are older not getting to play cause the Coach is building a team for two years away, the year prior to when he/she plans to trade jobs.

4. Kids getting discriminated against because the parent are either --rich or poor.

5. District Coaches trading their personal youth too fill the All-District positions, mostly in lower classification schools.

I would hope if your child is the best and that he plays; but likewise, if there is a younger player that is markedly better, then that child should play in his place.

It is tough being a parent is some circumstances, right?

Yes, these situations happen more than not these days.  I just think it's sad and does an injustice to the youth of today's society.  I personally think it should be like this:

1.  High School Teams:  not all get to make it, and hopefully the best are picked by ability and that's it.  A valuable lesson in that not all will make it, but that's life.

2.  High School Coaches:  They demand respect.  By that I mean that each and every kid that plays knows who the boss is.  The talking back, smart mouthing, doing whatever I want to kids are benched and eventually removed unless they do as they should.  And parents are told that at this level, the kids are the coaches responsibility when they are at practice, a game or tryout and parents should not be present.  I think at some point in the system, that has been lost and that parents influence alot of coaches, by whatever way they can and I feel like there are coaches that cannot be affected by those people, but that they are few and far between.

3.  Kids:  They need to learn that you have to earn what you get.  Not depend on mom or dad to call the coach, be told to suck up to the coaching staff to get a position, and I could go on and on.  Just go out there, do your very best, be respectful of everyone, especially the coaches, do what you are told or asked and if you make it, great, if not, try again. 

I just think things have gotten to a point these days where the above rarely happens, due to whatever reasons and it's sad and an injustice to the kids of today.  But that's just my two cents and that too isn't worth much these days either. 

with every one of shadows posts it convinces me just a little more that hes the man at question  ::)

maybe the kids should go against his wishes that kids play in the summer and sit the summer out so they can stay healthy, and get away from all those "fancy pants" select coaches and their facilities

"The purpose of this thread is to get folks to imagine how THEY think the defense will look next year."

Please answer who YOU think will be playing the individual defensive spots, please.

I had a long conversation with a very knowledgeable Select team person who said there are some more "Hicks and Robertson types" coming along in Freshman & U ranks.

He ALSO CONCURRED that the 8th graders this coming season, who have played for many years in travel ball will be just awesome, when it is time for them to find their place-in-the sun in HS ball.

BC has a long history of good developmental baseball.

Incidentaly, there is a little team called "Machine" around 10 years of age that have been playing together for 3 years that are whipping like-age teams in Greater Houston and Louisiana TB circles, big-time!

I agree with you that there are some good JV move-ups that will be seeking these positions along with the this-years bench and the incoming Freshmen.

Let's not just grip--but fill out the possible positions as you see it for next season and we will see who was the closest, OK?

;D ;D

with every one of shadows posts it convinces me just a little more that hes the man at question  ::)

maybe the kids should go against his wishes that kids play in the summer and sit the summer out so they can stay healthy, and get away from all those "fancy pants" select coaches and their facilities

LOL!!

no, i don't coach but i know the business. I played the game in college and even scouted for my college for awhile after my 4 years were up. i know the politics and i know people.

By the way just check some of my notes - they are posted during the games..... hard to do that and coach...

What reason would the coach play somebody of less talent. His reputation is based on wins. You mention sucking up -- the man had a person run for school board just to try and fire him.. The man plays who he thinks will help win the game..instead of gripeing about the coach look at some real facts --- ask the school board why?

jasper --- 4 coaches    bc --- 3

jasper baseball budget 30,000    bc budget  5,000

how many injuries are associated to summer ball...

didn't hicks and jackson both get hurt during the summer

Gripe about something real not about phantom injustices...

Find some "True Stats" for me.. How many errors did  your All District 2nd baseman make this year... If you can't throw the ball from 2nd base to 1rst you

do not deserve to be playing much less on the All District team.. I saw your coach

yank a kid out from short stop, in the middle of an inning,for making a throwing error

vs Needville (remember that) Yet we watched Bolton make, I'm guessing no less than

15 0r 20 E's this year and never missed a start...I'm sure that 15-20 is a "Very" low estimate I think he made 5 or 6 in the final Jasper series alone...

Find some "True Stats" for me.. How many errors did  your All District 2nd baseman make this year... If you can't throw the ball from 2nd base to 1rst you

do not deserve to be playing much less on the All District team.. I saw your coach

yank a kid out from short stop, in the middle of an inning,for making a throwing error

vs Needville (remember that) Yet we watched Bolton make, I'm guessing no less than

15 0r 20 E's this year and never missed a start...I'm sure that 15-20 is a "Very" low estimate I think he made 5 or 6 in the final Jasper series alone...

This is some deep stuff guy's let's just drop it...........this is about next year's team not this past year........

In My Opinion.. They would have won the State Championship at least two of the last three years.. Your coach, along with "anyone"  who thinks Bryant is a coach

are the true idiots.. If you think Bryant is the coach at BC for any other reason than family being on the School Board you are mistaken.....

PS: Sorry if the truth hurts..

Since his mother is no longer part of the BCISD School Board, lets wait and see what the new school board does with his contract next spring.

Guest K-911

Man, you guys are rippin a coach who has done nothing but win since he's been there. No coach is going to make all the right decisions all the time. He is not going to make everybody happy. If he does then he probably is not a winning coach. I would hate to see how ya'll treat a losing coach. Be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

i guess somebody liked him since he just made academic all state.

Yeah he made good grades, that doesn't mean he should be an all district "Baseball" player.. I'm  still waiting for those stats Shadow (I am more than sure you can get those if your willing)

Man, you guys are rippin a coach who has done nothing but win since he's been there. No coach is going to make all the right decisions all the time. He is not going to make everybody happy. If he does then he probably is not a winning coach. I would hate to see how ya'll treat a losing coach. Be careful what you wish for you just might get it.

I'm not ripping anybody.  I'm just saying lets see if the new school board renews his contract since some people believe that his mother is the only reason he has his job. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami