Biggio...

As much as i'd like to see Biggio get 3000 hits, i'm really tired of watching him at the plate this year.  He is clearly going up to the plate to hake away and most of his numerous strikeouts look flat out embarassing to watch.  If i was pitching to him i wouldnt throw him anything but a slider EVER.  Its funny how in 4 AB's and seeing several of them in a pitch sequence in a game he still cant lay off the slider.  He's been one of the worst leadoff hitters for the past couple years, sporting a .273 OPS this year which is a laughable for a leadoff hitter.  You've got to give the astros organization a lot of credit for staying with this guy because for the past couple years he has been undeserving of a starting spot on the astros or any major league team the past 2 years.  As soon as Biggio gets 3000 hits, i would find no problem with the astros sitting him from here on out.  The only time you'd consider starting him is at home because he's way better at home based on his home/road splits.  Its time to get Burke some playing time though, Biggio hanging around has adversely effected his career and development so far.  Read what Keith Law said about him on a chat today, its hard to disagree with most of what he says...

Todd (Philly): Isn't it time SOMEONE mentioned Craig Biggio - it's an embarrasment that he is getting zero press this week....

SportsNation Keith Law: The embarrassment is his .273 OBP. He should be glad no one's paying attention.

Andy (Houston): Biggio is not getting any press because he is one of the most stand up players in all of sports. maybe he he bad mouthed his teamates (Owens), demanded trades (Kobe), or whined non stop (Owens again) he would be on sports center more often. It's sad that a future HOF isn't getting any press for this great milestone.

SportsNation Keith Law: Seriously, you're making me want to write an article on how one player's selfish pursuit of a rather meaningless milestone is helping to sink his team's playoff hopes. Isn't that a story? If his initials were B.B., don't you think this would be a regular rant in sports sections everywhere? What if Biggio was African-American, or Latino? He's getting a free pass. Just be happy with that.

he may be the face of the franchise that doesnt mean you dont need a facelift.  Biggio is a stand up guy, belongs in the HOF, let him get his 3000 then bench him he's not a productive everyday player anymore and that hurts the team as a whole.  Let him take over for Garner as manager but he shouldnt be playing.

I was being entirely serious, I think he'd be a heck of a coach/manager, the man knows baseball obviously without a doubt but he is by no means a productive everyday player now.  Get him his 3000 and a few more at the end of the year in pinch hitting duty then make him a coach or manager for next year.

The only reason to get rid of Garner is if he has lost the team.  I know he makes some bad decisions during games, but these are the same decisions he was making in 2004 and 2005 when the Astros were on the brink of being champions.  You can't blame all the problems of the Astros on Garner.  He can only work with the talent he is given.

I imagine he looks down the bench in the late innings wondering who he will send up as a pinch hitter and just says - D#*n, these guys are bad!

Now if you want to put the onus on Tim Purpura - go ahead.  He is responsible for putting the team together, and he has failed miserably.

Regarding Biggio, he is the face of this organization and will likely be the first Astro elected to the Hall.  You have to let him get his 3000, but I agree that they have put that goal ahead of winning to this point in the season. 

of course, Uncle Drayton is running a business and I am sure he is making money on the Craid Biggio farewell tour.

Plus, Biggio isn't putting out the lineup card every day either.  For that matter, I'm not even sure that Phil Garner is putting out the lineup card everyday.  Drayton probably has lineup cards printed for Garner that already have Biggio in the leadoff sport playing second and Garner just gets to fill out the rest.

But however you feel about the chase for 3000, you cannot deny that Craig Biggio is/was a great player and we've been lucky to get to watch him these last 20 years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder