Barbers Hill Trio

BH trio end high school careers with win

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun 

Published June 21, 2007

Donning a darker shade of blue, three Barbers Hill teammates ended their high school career on a familiar note — as winners. Colby Townley, Cameron Campbell and Derek Hulsey helped lead the HABCA North All-Stars to a 5-0 win over the South All-Stars in the 4A-1A game Wednesday afternoon. Junior Kendall Thamm also represented Barbers Hill in the Junior All-Star game Wednesday night.

“It was a good way to finish my high school career,†Campbell said. “I haven’t been practicing much and I was a little worn out after practicing twice and playing today.â€

Leading 2-0, the North broke the game wide open in the top of the eighth with three runs off of Chance Sievers of High Island. Paul Prestera led the inning off with a double bringing Townley to the plate. After Prestera advanced to third, Townley drew his second walk of the game.

“I was fouling off the breaking stuff waiting for something to drive, but they never gave in to me,†Townley said. “But I did not give into them either. It was a little disappointing that I didn’t get to do something spectacular, but it was an honor just to play in this game.â€

Townley stole second base and a walk to Matt Johnson of Montgomery loaded the bases. Prestera scored on a wild pitch and Corey Wellbrock of Brenham hit an RBI single to score Townley bringing Hulsey to the plate. Hulsey hit into a fielder’s choice but was credited with an RBI as Johnson scored on the play that made the score 5-0.

Hulsey started the day in vacationing in Garner but arrived in Houston and had a strong effort on the day going 1-2 at the plate. Hulsey also played well in the field with two assists. Before the game the North team drew numbers for the batting order and Hulsey came out as the last member of the North team to get an at-bat. With one on and no outs in the top of the fifth, Hulsey hit a chopper between third base and shortstop for a single. Justin Taylor of Waltrip then hit a sacrifice fly to score Wellbrock for the first run of the game.

“I was pretty tired but it was worth coming to,†Hulsey said. “Getting to bat last was just my luck but I still got to bat twice. I was a little nervous the first time up but I just went up and do what I always do.â€

The North team added their second run of the game in the top of the seventh inning. Campbell was 0-2 on the day but did advance a runner to second on a groundout. An RBI by Josh Cheney plated the second run of the game.

In Wednesday night’s action, Kendall Thamm pitched the second and third inning for the Red Team in the Junior All-Star game. Thamm was roughed up for three runs in the second inning but came back strong. After registering a strikeout to end the second inning, Thamm struck out the first two batters in the third and forced a groundout to end a perfect third. The final result was not available at press time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami