CONCACAF Gold Cup

Mild knee sprain is what's being reported so far.

Game three is tomorrow at 6:00 versus El Salvador.  A point assures the US the top spot in the group.  No indication on what line-up Bradley is going with.  Mastroeni is available now, too, after serving his suspension from the World Cup game against the Eye-Ties.

I'm happy with the win. 

The defense looked solid and cohesive for the most part.  Franke HeyDude is a work-horse.  He couldn't cross to save his life today, but his effort was awesome.  Bornstein is growing on me now, and Gooch played within himself very well.  That yellow he got was bollocks.  I wish Bocanegra would stop kicking the ball into the stands every time he has pressure, though.

I thought the midfield overall looked the best.  Lots of combination passing, team defense, took on defenders, and made the crunching tackles when necessary.  Except for Ralston, he's just a big friggin spazzzz out there.  There are many better options on the bench and I have no idea how he keeps getting into these games.  Donovan and Beasley out wide give us such legitimate threats on the flanks!  Pablo was strong and Bradley is gonna keep getting better along with Clark and Feiieieelhaieber (or however you spell his name).

I thought the forwards were the least impressive.  Sure, tons of opportunities, but neither goal came from the run of play.  Twellman was useless today.  He had "warning track power" with many near-misses, but I was yelling for him to leave in the first half.  Dempsey SHOULD have fininshed that sitter that LandyCakes gave but instead he had to do a flashy pull-back because, after all, he is Deuce.  Just put the ball in the goal, Deuce.  You'll get to do your silly dance if you do!

I'm happy with the win. 

The defense looked solid and cohesive for the most part.  Franke HeyDude is a work-horse.  He couldn't cross to save his life today, but his effort was awesome.  Bornstein is growing on me now, and Gooch played within himself very well.  That yellow he got was bollocks.  I wish Bocanegra would stop kicking the ball into the stands every time he has pressure, though.

I thought the midfield overall looked the best.  Lots of combination passing, team defense, took on defenders, and made the crunching tackles when necessary.  Except for Ralston, he's just a big friggin spazzzz out there.  There are many better options on the bench and I have no idea how he keeps getting into these games.  Donovan and Beasley out wide give us such legitimate threats on the flanks!  Pablo was strong and Bradley is gonna keep getting better along with Clark and Feiieieelhaieber (or however you spell his name).

I thought the forwards were the least impressive.  Sure, tons of opportunities, but neither goal came from the run of play.  Twellman was useless today.  He had "warning track power" with many near-misses, but I was yelling for him to leave in the first half.  Dempsey SHOULD have fininshed that sitter that LandyCakes gave but instead he had to do a flashy pull-back because, after all, he is Deuce.  Just put the ball in the goal, Deuce.  You'll get to do your silly dance if you do!

supurb analysis and presentation..... I enjoyed reading this...

Thanks, smity. 

I'd tried not to be too negative, but I truly have not been impressed yet.  I'd rather say I'm "cautiously optimistic."  Sure, the Nats are 8-0-1 under Bradley, but who have they played?  Mexico...Ecuador....and the seven dwarfs.  And is there something wrong with player's passports?  Have they played outside of the States yet?  Just because the opposition fans outnumber the American fans for many of our games on our own soil doesn't really prepare us for a hostile environment. 

Copa America will answer both of these questions.  Hostile environment?  Check:  the Venezuelans will be burning flags where ever the US plays.  Legitimate competition?  Check:  The Nats are in a group with Paraguay, Columbia, and (gulp!) Argentina.  I think the US will finish second in this group with 4 points, and then play (double gulp!) Brazil in the Quarter-finals. 

Here's the link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_2007

The American D has looked organized and solid, but the best forward they've played, El Pescadito Ruiz, a pretty good MLS player, is known more for what he does on the ground - not on the ball.  I don't know who Argentina will have on their roster, but look at their internation-based pool of forwards:  Tevez (West Ham, EPL), Milito (Real Zaragoza, La Liga), Messi (Barcelona, La Liga), Saviola (Barcelona, La Liga), Crespo (Internazionale, Serie A).

N-E-WAY, If the US forwards continue to squander good opportunities, I see Thursday's game against Canada going to PK's.  That being said, I think the US will win 3-1.

I hope your prediction for tonight's game is correct.  The only problem I have with it is that you have Twellman scoring which means he and his smedium jersey (What's up with that TT?) will be on the field.  Not a fan of his international game...or EJ's for that matter.  Excellent MLSer's, just not very good Nats.

I think we should go with the 4-3-2-1 line up:

-------Dempsey-------

Beez-------------LanDo

--Bradly-Pablo-Clark---

Park.-Boca-Gooch-Franke

This should neutralize the very, very good Maple Leaf Midfield, and expose Canada's lack of defensive speed with our three attacking guys creating opportunities in stead of waiting for service like Ching and TT so heavily rely on.

For any Canadian score, I see a Gooch blunder, a poor clearance by Charles Blackmouth, or Heydude getting caught up-field - either way, DeRo will be a part of it somehow.

For a US goal, we'll probably score of a set-piece (bold prediction there!), and I see Dempsey assisting LandyCakes for one goal, and Bradley slotting a perfect thru-ball for DMB and Beasley outrunning the backline for a goal.

Alright, I just got into a very heated arguement with myself about the line-up I just posted and decided to change it.  I might change my mind in a few minutes, but here we go:

----------Ching---------

DMB------LanDo----Demp

----Bradley-------Pablo--

Spector-Boca-Gooch-Simek

---------Howard---------

This won't happen because Bob Bradley, for various reasons, is in love with Heyduk (the nose?), Bornstein (illegimate son or Chivas USA connection?), and Twellman (that massive planetoid of a head?), but I'd like to see a couple of EPL guys in the defense together who are accostomed to getting into the attack with proper service - not crossing the ball behind the goal or straight to the keeper (Franke) or just hanging back, settling for the five-yard-gimme, and never looking for that killer pass (Bornstein).

And I'm not bashing the guy, but if that over-caffinated/bad beard wearing spaz Steve Ralston gets on the field before Mapp or Feilhaber, I'm gonna be PISSED!

GO USA!

P.S.  Just heard that Keller will be getting his 100th cap tonight instead of Howard in goal.

I like that lineup, and when I said Twellman would score, I meant it would probably be late in the game around the 80's, and Landon will score in the first half...

Just a bold prediction, we'll see how it ends up...

Oh and I had free tickets to the Dynamo game tonight because I played in the MLS Futbolito Tourney in Houston but I couldn't go because my parents wouldn't let me drive and I couldn't find a ride... Sucks because Ante Razov is one of my favorite players and Chivas is who the Dynamo are playing... oh well...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124