*Jasper vs. Abliene Wylie 7 PM Wednesday*

Guest Bulldog

Jasper enjoy every minute of the experience.....from someone who's been there 2 times it's a awesome feeling to be there but you have a job to do and thats to win....don't let the big stage make you lose sight of your goal...and as for my..our loyaly BC fans thanks for all the support it was a honor to play in front of you for the years that i did....i'll never forget the parent's of my fellow seniors i love all of you and all of my guys (the whole team included)....the ride was fun..

thanks,

Jeff Stringer

Jasper enjoy every minute of the experience.....from someone who's been there 2 times it's a awesome feeling to be there but you have a job to do and thats to win....don't let the big stage make you lose sight of your goal...and as for my..our loyaly BC fans thanks for all the support it was a honor to play in front of you for the years that i did....i'll never forget the parent's of my fellow seniors i love all of you and all of my guys (the whole team included)....the ride was fun..

thanks,

Jeff Stringer

Want to say it's been awesome watching you play the last 3 years. I remember every game I got to watch you pitch and every emotion involved in this awesome 3 year ride, your 13 strikeout performance against Ozen your sophomore year, even when you came in to pitch in game 2 that year against Hudson in the Region final at Humble. I remember your first warmup pitch of that game hit about 10 ft. in front of home plate!  ;D To your game 3 no-hitter your junior year against Barbers Hill in the Regional Quarterfinals and then getting to watch you pitch at the big dance at Dell Diamond. To your no-hitter against Nederland your senior year, your awesome performances against H-J this year, 17 K's against Splendora, the 2 day game 1 against Wharton, the awesome game against Carthage and getting to see you pitch at your new home at Vincent Beck Stadium this weekend. It's probably harder on me than it is you that this run is over. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are like a brother to me. Thanks "cuz" for the memories and I am looking forward to making some new ones at Lamar......

thanks,

Jeff Stringer

You're a class act, Jeff. You've got a bright future at LU and a lot of good memories of your time at BC. Good luck. :)

thanks,

Jeff Stringer

Jeff Stringer i had no respect for you up until now...and i apologize for just judging you....but that was a class act!!! yall had a great year...and i know you will have a great career a LU...good luck!!

I think Jasper will take Abilene......just don't think they have as much competition up there...........go get em, Dogs!!

Good advice from you, Jeff.  Congrats on a great HS career.

Are you refering to the Competition in west texas (Abilene Wyle), or in the state tournament?  Must I remind you that the only returning teams from the State Championship last year were Liberty Eylau (State Champions), and Abilene Wyle.  Which one of those won't be any competition?????????

Are you refering to the Competition in west texas (Abilene Wyle), or in the state tournament?  Must I remind you that the only returning teams from the State Championship last year were Liberty Eylau (State Champions), and Abilene Wyle.  Which one of those won't be any competition?????????

Calm Down, Shark

I am pretty sure he is referring to our tough district schedule.  Emotion starts to build from the first game in this district and after a battle like this it is tough not to be prepared.

Toughest district in the state by far in 3A.

Good season Cards', you will be back and of course Silsbee will bein the way again,  ;)

See it through Dogs',  great team character and now finish the job.  We will be waiting

and watching.  Good luck and god speed.

Good luck Jasper!! I wish one gamers were not optional at this stage!!!! regardless of who wins you will never know who had the better team!!!

That has to be the silliest thing I have heard.  You think that the team that wins will think that they are not the best since it was a one game deal?  Only the ones who lose will say, "if only it had been a three game series, we could have shown them who was the better team."

I hate to break it to you, but each team in the final four has faced tough opponents to get where they are.  I like your optimism though.  Maybe you are right, the district you went through has prepared you to be state champions. ::)

i shouldn't ask a question that i don't know the answer to, but besides region III, how many districts had two teams in the regional finals?  And BC had to take out undefeated Number One Carthage to get there.  I cannot remember how many posts I had seen throughout the season that was there ANYBODY in Texas who could beat Carthage.  Well, now we know, yes.

Playing in District 21-3a was like being in the state tournament almost every game.  Now, Jasper may fall flat on its face Wednesday.  It would not be the first time, but that is what they are talking about the competition level.  Of course, every team that has made it to the state tournament is tough.  We Dogs are looking forward to the return to the state tournament.  It has been a long time coming.  But it has not been so long that Jasper will be surprised by the experience.  :)

The Dogs have exceeded all expections this year.  They were picked by most for third in district, if that much.  They are loose and relaxed and ready to play some more baseball.  :)

I understand, was not trying to take anything away.  You are right, ya'll have faced tough teams and are a great team to represent your region.  I only based my comment on the posts I've read from Celina, Mineola, and Carthage fans.  They made the same comments as you touting their teams.  I am a LE fan and want my leopards to win in Austin and have probably boasted my fair share as well.  Only fact is that after Thursday there will be only one champ.    Good luck to all.

My only regret is that I won't be able to attend.

All the teams are very good at the state tourny.  Also fact, all but one will have to go home with another loss on their record.  That will not make them "weak", it will just be the way the ball bounces, and no one knows for sure who will be the "winner" and "losers".  They truth is, they will all be winners for having made it so far.

Jasper has gone to the state tournament before with perhaps the "favorite" label, but that not once helped them win a state championship.  We Dogs are just hoping that this is the year that things will fall their way.  Let's play ball.  :)

Sorry I can't ride with you on that one.  Yes, after the tournament there will be only one team crowned State Champion.  Have they all had great winning seasons,  yes!  Don't believe this is T-ball where everybody is a winner though.  If that was the case we wouldn't have the state tournament.  Sorry if I gave you the impression that LE was the favorite to win.  By the polls that I have seen, Abilene Wyle is the highest ranked team.  I believe they were ranked 2nd behind Carthage.  As I have said in past posts, it could be any of the four carrying the trophy home.  I will continue to root for my Leopards.  KALE!!!!!!

I really don't place much stock in the rankings, especially at this time of year.  You may not remember, but at one time BC was ranked number two in the state.  And if not for having to play in a brutal district, they probably would have rolled into the regional finals still ranked at least that high considering that BC knocked off the "number one". 

And if LE loses a game at state, you will now call them "losers"?  I hope not.

I guess I'm missing the boat here.  If LE loses a game, I will not call them losers.  However, I will not call them champions.  I would congradulate them on a great season and wish them well in all their future endeavors.  All four teams are great teams and represent their regions accordingly.  I think that the jest of this thread was that a 3 game series is the best way to determine the best team.  (Unless I have this thread confused with another!)  I guess a would argue that that only proves who has the most depth in pitching.  Guess it really doesn't matter since it will be only one game and then a Champion will be crowned.

Their ace is Cory Davis Throws about 88-89, he's a Friend of the family thats all I know about them.

Davis pitches Wylie closer to state

By Jacob Brown (Contact)

Friday, June 1, 2007

Photo by Ronald Erdrich

Wylie’s Stephen Struve steps over Lubbock Cooper’s Kamron Bownds after tagging him out at second base Thursday during the seventh inning of the Region I-3A Finals in Midland. The win gives the Bulldogs a 1-0 edge in the best-of-three series.

Cory Davis hadn't pitched in almost two weeks, but he certainly didn't show any signs of rust.

STORY TOOLS

E-mail story

Comments

iPod friendly

Printer friendly

More High School Sports

Cooper's Stewart adds to record-setting legacy

2007 Big Country's Best: Vote for your choice

Critical injury costs Eula

The Wylie senior went the distance and allowed six hits while striking out five batters in his team's 3-1 victory Thursday night over Lubbock Cooper in Game 1 of the best-of-three Region I-3A baseball finals at Citibank Ballpark.

''It was a great game by both teams, obviously. Both teams made huge plays and got good pitching performances,'' Bulldogs coach Clay Martin said. ''I thought Cory did a great job on the mound, and we were just fortunate enough to score just enough runs to win.''

Davis, who had not pitched since leaving his start in the regional quarterfinals against Canyon with arm troubles, lived up to his ace status even though he felt he was not at his best early.

''At first it (my arm) was really tight, but as the game went on it finally loosened up and I finally decided to actually throw hard,'' Davis said. ''With the two-week break, trying to take it easy with the arm I've lost a little velocity, but I'll be OK. I've just got to get back up there.''

Davis got the job done on 86 pitches - 55 of which were strikes - and held the Pirates (27-11) to one hit over the first four innings as the second-ranked Bulldogs (32-2-1) took a 2-0 lead.

''To have Cory back on the mound was a big boost, and to see him throw so well, and one of the biggest things he did tonight was limit pitch count,'' Martin said. ''He was able to stay around the plate and keep his pitch numbers down low, and that was a big plus.''

As it has throughout the playoffs, the Wylie offense continued to get the job done with two outs.

With Landon Lindley on third after lining a triple to right-center field, Derek Saltzgaber hit a grounder to short with two away and just beat the throw to first for an RBI single in the top of the third inning.

Wylie struck again in the next frame when Josh Hilliard hit a two-out bloop single to center that popped in and out of the sliding defender's glove, scoring Michael Strong from first and giving the Bulldogs a two-run lead.

Cooper answered with a run in the bottom of the fifth. With men on first and second, Charlie Finch grounded to the right side of the infield and beat Davis to the bag, and Bryan Oxford came around to score from second base.

Davis got into more trouble when he walked the next batter to load the bases, but he got out of it when Ryan Hughes grounded out to second on the first pitch.

The Pirates threatened again in the sixth as the first two batters reached safely on singles, but Hilliard came up with a big double play from third base and Davis induced the next batter to fly out.

Wylie added an insurance run in the top of the seventh when Greg Johnson hit a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded to score Mason Macnoll, who went 3-for-4 from the plate with a double.

Cooper sent the winning run to the batter's box with two outs in the bottom of the seventh and runners on first and second, but shortstop Michael Strong charged a grounder hit by Hughes and made a good play to throw him out at first and end a game in which the Bulldogs played error-free ball.

''Its very reassuring when you're a pitcher because even when you're not throwing your best and they're hitting the ball like they were today, defense helps a lot and gets you through,'' Davis said.

Game 2 of the series is slated to begin at 2 p.m. today, also at Citibank Ballpark, with Game 3 coming 30 minutes after its conclusion should Cooper come out on top.

In order to advance to next week's state tournament in Round Rock, the Bulldogs know they will need another performance like on Thursday, if not better.

''We knew going in it's a series. It's not about one game,'' Martin said. ''We've won and put ourselves in a good spot, but it's a series and you've got to win two.''

Wylie 3, Lubbock Cooper 1

Wylie 001 100 1-3 7 0

Lubbock Cooper 000 010 0-1 6 1

Cory Davis and Martin Burleson. Taylor Snodgrass and Ryan Hughes. W - Davis (12-0). L - Snodgrass (8-6). 2B - Wylie: Mason Macnoll. 3B - Wylie: Landon Lindley.

Records - Wylie 32-2-1, Cooper 27-11.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa