**ZACH QUINN PROMOTED TO HC AT WOS**

Guest DickVitale

Congrats Coach Quinn....Maybe you can fix the mess Ol Doug left!! LOL ;D...Hey Coop is right....Katy Taylor vs WOS????  Opener?? Good luck, I know McCarter taught you well!! ;)

Guest KirbyKat

In the immortal words of one of our hero's Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, "It was just outside of Barstow when the drugs kicked in" and I realized I was now a head coach. Congrats young Jedi. Try and remember all the valuable lessons from JV bb at Vidor. ( What not to do ) I'm very proud of you. Good luck.

Quinn thrilled about leading Mustang hoops

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — Not to full-court press the issue, but Zach Quinn was ready for a head basketball coaching job.

Quinn, an assistant coach for Doug McCarter the last four seasons at West Orange-Stark High School, accepted the head coaching position for the Mustangs.

Quinn replaces McCarter, who took over the head coaching duties at Class 5A Katy Taylor.

“When Coach (Dan) Hooks sat me down in his office last week, I felt really good about it and it’s great that he has a lot of confidence in me,†Quinn said. “I’ve always wanted to be a head coach and to stay close to home to do it makes it that much more special.â€

Quinn is a graduate of Vidor High School and was a three-year letter winner for the Pirate basketball program. He went on to graduate from Texas A&M University.

“I’ve loved the game of basketball all of my life,†Quinn said. “I also love being around kids. I guess you can call me a basketball junkie.â€

Quinn gained superb experience under the guidance of McCarter as he assisted the varsity to three playoff berths in four years. He helped coach a Mustang 2006 team that won the District 21-3A crown, won the Class 3A Region III Tournament and advanced to the Class 3A State Tournament semifinals. Leading the way for that team included the likes of All-State post man Richard Netherly along with Earl Thomas, Andre Bevil and Ronnie Dennis.

McCarter led the Mustangs to seven postseason playoff berths in eight seasons and compiled a 138-72 overall record.

“The experience with Doug (McCarter) was always super,†Quinn said. “He’s a teacher of the game and I’ve learned and gained so much from him. He’ll continue to flourish at Katy Taylor, just wait and see.â€

Quinn did an amazing job at the subvarsity level for the Mustangs. Last season his junior varsity unit captured the District 21-3A crown.

Just like the varsity, the junior varsity last year utilized a hard-pressing defense and a wide-open offense to thwart the opposition.

“That was a tremendous group to work with and they’ll pretty much make up most of the varsity next season,†explained Quinn. “What they accomplished last season was awesome. They really came together well when district rolled around. But, it’s a whole new ballgame at the varsity level. Everything speeds up there and that will get their attention quick.â€

Quinn feels the Mustangs won’t change their look much with him at the helm.

“We’re still going to press and pressure a lot,†Quinn said. “The kids love the up-tempo style and we’re going to stick to that. We’ve got a lot of kids that can push the ball. We do need to get an inside presence since we lost Richard (Netherly). Your talking about a guy that controlled the middle the last three years.â€

Quinn is certainly looking forward to coaching in a rugged District 21-3A. District champion Hardin-Jefferson, of course, captured the Class 3A state title last season. Silsbee, the runnerup, lost a tight game to H-J in the 3A Region III Finals last season.

“This district, it was second to none last year,†Quinn said. “There are so many talented players and coaches. It just seems like everyone is capable of winning on any given night. A lot of teams will be much younger next season, us certainly included. It should be really interesting again.â€

One thing for sure, Quinn eagerly awaits what is ahead.

“It’s going to be a tremendous challenge but a challenge I’m really looking forward too,†said Quinn. “A lot of people supported me and I’d love to thank all of them. West Orange-Stark has a great tradition and that’s something I would love to keep going. I can’t wait to kick off that first practice.â€

Way to go, WO-S. Great decision on your part. Coach Quinn is an outstanding young man and a patient, intelligent coach. He loves basketball, and his desire to encourage and educate his students is evident in the classroom as well as on the court.

Congratulations, Coach Quinn! Good luck on a great season at WO-S!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami