Nederland Basketball Players Not Getting Equal Class Time

We hired a new coach last year and our team might as well be playing with one hand tied behind their back. Nederland basketball players only have basketball class every other day. Therefore, during the off-season Coach English can only teach his players every other day. During the season there are some gamedays that he doesn't get to see his players until they get on the bus to go to the game. This when we are going to play a team that has had a basketball class to go over the gameplan and shootaround. From what I have been told everybody else in our district gets to go to basketball class every day. Last fall there was a stretch of two weeks during basketball season that, due to holidays, our coach only got to see his kids in class three times. What kind of message are we sending to our basketball players who would like to have a chance to learn from their coach on a daily basis just like the football players do. I, as a parent , would like to know that my son is being given every opportunity to improve and learn everything that Coach English has to offer. We were told that this was going to change for next year, but now we are hearing that this disadvantage is going to continue. Looks like the powers that be in Nederland were just trying to make us think that they cared about a better basketball program by hiring Coach English. When in reality, in Nederland if you're not playing football you really don't matter.

We hired a new coach last year and our team might as well be playing with one hand tied behind their back. Nederland basketball players only have basketball class every other day. Therefore, during the off-season Coach English can only teach his players every other day. During the season there are some gamedays that he doesn't get to see his players until they get on the bus to go to the game. This when we are going to play a team that has had a basketball class to go over the gameplan and shootaround. From what I have been told everybody else in our district gets to go to basketball class every day. Last fall there was a stretch of two weeks during basketball season that, due to holidays, our coach only got to see his kids in class three times. What kind of message are we sending to our basketball players who would like to have a chance to learn from their coach on a daily basis just like the football players do. I, as a parent , would like to know that my son is being given every opportunity to improve and learn everything that Coach English has to offer. We were told that this was going to change for next year, but now we are hearing that this disadvantage is going to continue. Looks like the powers that be in Nederland were just trying to make us think that they cared about a better basketball program by hiring Coach English. When in reality, in Nederland if you're not playing football you really don't matter.

This sounds like what we are going through up here in Stephenville.Up here if you are not playing football you are a second class citizen, and it is a shame because football is not everyones sport.

Guest DickVitale

I would definitely let Coach English handle that one.  I am certain that he is fully aware that this is hurting his program and knowing him, he has ALREADY made steps to fix it.  The ole' pecan heads (football coaches) strike again! ;D

Nederland is on the block schedule correct????

If that is so, then they have an hour and a half everyother day.... That means that Nederland kids are in athletics the same amount of time as everyone else. 

If you are going to give a story... give both sides.

Nederland is on the block schedule correct????

If that is so, then they have an hour and a half everyother day.... That means that Nederland kids are in athletics the same amount of time as everyone else. 

If you are going to give a story... give both sides.

This is true, but I think there is a lot to be said for building relationships between Coaches and Players on a daily basis versus every other day. Also having a chance to go over things that were done in class yesterday versus two days ago during offseason.

Gameday classes can be used to go over gameplans, walkthroughs, and shootarounds. We played 9 out of 14 district games last season on days that we did not have basketball class.

Guest catfever

Many schools that are on block scheduling have athletics everyday.  They only do athletics for an hour and have study hall for the other 30 minutes.  It is a UIL rule that you can only have athletics for 60 minutes a day.  Block scheduling or not.

Guest neon_bodeau

Actually, the UIL rule states that you can participate in an athletic period for 300 minutes per week.  It doesn't matter how you shape it, as long as it is 300 minutes or less per school week.

Actually, the UIL rule states that you can participate in an athletic period for 300 minutes per week.  It doesn't matter how you shape it, as long as it is 300 minutes or less per school week.

So, Nederland has been getting 270 minutes one week and 180 minutes the next. How fair is that?

I have spent the last 4 days talking to everybody that I could get to listen. Everybody says they are all for daily basketball classes. Apparently the Principal is the one to decide if this will happen or not. I had a meeting with him today and he assures me that he also wants this if it is possible. I haven't figured out how it can't be possible for some Bulldog programs and not Basketball. So, hopefully we will get this straightened out.

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I spoke with Coach Newman, Athletic Director, and Dr. Soileau, NHS Principal. They both expressed their opinion that this was not going to happen for Basketball in the '07-'08 school year. They both stated that they would like to see it happen for all sports, but they didn't want it to happen for basketball only. They said that they will have to do a study through next year to determine if this is workable for all sports. The only reason that they could give me that it couldn't be done for basketball in the coming school year was that they didn't want to do it for basketball and not all sports.

We have a full time basketball coach, Coach English, and what appears to be a very workable scheduling issue for the coming school year. Coach Newman just kept saying that he didn't want to explain to the other coaches how basketball could get it and other sports couldn't. This is the only reason I could get for this not happening in basketball.

That's a shame, bulldog. At least you tried. Heaven forbid the basketball program should get something that would only make sense. I hate to tell you, but the old line about doing a "study" is probably just a pat on the head to calm you down. English is good at what he does, though. He'll do his best with what he has.

Not so sure that this is a dead issue just yet. Coach Newman stated to me that if the School Board directed him to make it happen, then he would have to make it happen. The school board members have expressed their support for this issue since I brought it up. Another parent and I spoke briefly with a school board member tonight and he seemed to think that this could still be achieved for this year.

• 3 weeks later...

How dumb are you?

This is true, but I think there is a lot to be said for building relationships between Coaches and Players on a daily basis versus every other day. Also having a chance to go over things that were done in class yesterday versus two days ago during offseason.

Gameday classes can be used to go over gameplans, walkthroughs, and shootarounds. We played 9 out of 14 district games last season on days that we did not have basketball class.

do you not practice everyday after school?

Guest DickVitale

I think that he is saying that the same amount of time alloted for football during the school day, should be allowed during basketball season.  Football coaches are the MOST unfair when it comes to sharing athletes.  Even during basketball season they feel that those athletes that play both sports should be in football off season instead of basketball....They make me sick!! >:(

Guest DickVitale

Uh..... yeah, but after football season is over, how hard is it to send the kids that play basketball to the GYM (duh) instead of some gosh awful football off season drills and workouts? ???  Like I said they (football coaches) are some of the most selfish, paranoid people on the planet!!

Guest DickVitale

Look....Never mind, football guys were not usually too bright in school, so you guys would NEVER get the point. ::)..Little man's syndrome?  I am 6'5"...not hardly that. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83