Offshore Trips

I ran out 25 miles last Sat, fished around Basco's and the rigs just south. Wanted to run farther but had some fuel issues and decided to make it short as this was a 'shakedown' run. Only marked a few fish at Basco's with no sightings of Ling at any rigs but with the water warming up daily, they will show soon. Will make a long run on next window. Have talked with several people that did well at about 30 miles fishing rigs.

Ya know, I've never caught ,or heard of anyone catching, any decent fish on Baso.  I think it should be a little farther out.  I suppose at times it may hold keeper snapper though.

It doesn't look like the wind is going to let me run offshore this weekend. I'll prob. end up at Spindletop again.

Me and a few friends went out last weekend out of sabine. We went around 40 miles out and the snapper bite was pretty good. By 1pm or so we had our 6 limits of snapper and went looking for ling. No luck though we probably hit a dozen rigs looking for em. Found some sharks, jacks, and a few reds but that was about the extent of it. Best snapper bite was around the rigs maybe 20-30 deep. We tried fishing a little bit off the bottom but not much luck.  We had the best luck free-lining a chuck of cigar minnow.

I have only fished Basco's twice as I just moved boat from Bolivar to SP last Sept. We fished Basco's last Sept and did really well but water was perfect, was the end of month and the Com season was over. I was told this was a key to Basco was to fish it late in the month so as to recoop from the Com's fishing it the first 10 days of the month, but now with the IFQs they can rape the snappers 24-7-365 till the reach their Voluntary Quotos>>what a joke. I have about 10 #s on Bascos and only 2 I marked fish at but would not 'take the bait' Will run farther next trip and fish bottom structure and maybe a few rigs. BTW last Sept we caught all fish suspended over the reef, made 6 drifts and got 3 limits. Made 10-15 drifts last week and got none.

Went outapper of Freeport two weeks ago and had 5 limits of very nice snapper (best about 15 lbs) average about 7 lbs.  Fishing rock in 80-120 feet and a few rigs.  Like others, no ling anywhere.  We found a long cable going from a rig to a crew boat and thought we might move off the rig and find a ling or two, but no luck.  Had about a 10 foot shark (think it was a spinner) maul a small released snapper right at the boat and just about caused a coronary.......no one saw him coming...... :o  Damn fish came 3 foot out of the water with the fish in his mouth and soaked everyone....pretty cool afterwards, not worth an darn during....... ;D

Had a great trip on Saturday.  Seas were down, the temp was down and the fish were bitin'.  Ended up with 20 red snapper, 7 mangrove snapper, 1 king and 1 ling (52#).  Even got home early, since we caught our 5 man limit of snapper in 45 min.

Anyone else go out this weekend?

Went outapper of Freeport two weeks ago and had 5 limits of very nice snapper (best about 15 lbs) average about 7 lbs.  Fishing rock in 80-120 feet and a few rigs.  Like others, no ling anywhere.  We found a long cable going from a rig to a crew boat and thought we might move off the rig and find a ling or two, but no luck.  Had about a 10 foot shark (think it was a spinner) maul a small released snapper right at the boat and just about caused a coronary.......no one saw him coming...... :o  dang fish came 3 foot out of the water with the fish in his mouth and soaked everyone....pretty cool afterwards, not worth an darn during....... ;D

Who did you go with?

Waiting on fuel filters, hopefully get in Mon n go Tues. How far did you run and did the Ling come from rig r wreck??

We went about 42 out.  The ling came out from rigs.  After getting our snapper limit, we dove for the mangrove, then we started bumping rigs on the way in.  Got the biggest ling about 35 out.

If ya make it out, let us know how you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out again today, did not hit water until 10:30 or so.  Headed East out of Galveston.  Started on the 135's and picked up a few junk fish, looking for ling.  Made 2nd to last stop last stop on larger rig and caught 2 limits of nice snapper, biggest maybe 10 lbs.  After getting snapper limits we drifted some bait out for kings.  We got in a mess of Spinner Sharks and the rodeo was on!  We had freaking sharks going airborne on both side of the boat.  We only boated one that did not break the line, about 5 footer.  Did hook one Big King but he cut my steel leader and was laughing as he swam off. 

Hit last rig looking for ling and work crew waved us off the rig and said "dem-der sum big ling dun der"....."Biguns I ever seen"  Obviously they were from Louisiana and they were right.  The sun was in the west by now and the rig was putting shade where the fish were being pointed out.  Made a blind cast and hooked up first cast.  Unfortunately it was not the big ones, or maybe fortunately.  Put 1 ling in the boat 44 inches.  Work crew still saying "dem more big ling dun der".  Current very strong, but was able to chum one away from the rig and got it to take the bait.  The ling was about 5-6 feet long and broke away from the rig for just a moment.  The "dun ting ran back der in dem der legs" and was gone!  Line broke >:(  Did spot another about the same size pairing up with the one I lost.  Made several more passes and on the last cast of the day hooked up again.  Thought I would be slick and I stepped up from a TLD 25 to a TDL 30 and made no difference.  Damn thing got me in the legs before I could even set the drag from the cast.

Overall a good day.  Was bumpy closer to Galveston, but very nice east of Galveston.  Going to grill some ling tomorrow when the wife gets out of the Memorial Herman and top it with a shrimp and crawfish bisque.

Fish On!!!!

PNGProud -  I'll PM you a rig number that is loaded with BIG ling right now.

All East of Galv is somewhat new to me, since Iv'e moved to Sabine I havn't been able to get out to check whats here with the freakn wind blowing like it has been. I'm after some pipeline charts but other than that I guess it will be rig hopping for us with a constant eye on the bottom machine. I have lots of stuff out of Galv and working on Sabine now. PNG do you trailer your boat?? mine is sitting in the water at the port authority>>>>and READY.

All East of Galv is somewhat new to me, since Iv'e moved to Sabine I havn't been able to get out to check whats here with the freakn wind blowing like it has been. I'm after some pipeline charts but other than that I guess it will be rig hopping for us with a constant eye on the bottom machine. I have lots of stuff out of Galv and working on Sabine now. PNG do you trailer your boat?? mine is sitting in the water at the port authority>>>>and READY.

You may already now this.

You can buy a Offshore Book called "Hiltons" at any Academy or other main stay outdoors store.  They have a LOT of waypoints and detailed maps that are pretty darn accurate.  If you rid around the Gulf looking at the bottom finder until you find something, you will burn a lot of gas.

You have to hit the East rigs early due to the pressure on them.  The wind has helped keep a lot of those folks off the rigs.  The water temp was 77.5 Thursday, but it will warm that 50-60 feet of water very quick.  Those fish move deeper after about July 15th or so.  The kings had not moved in yet, but they should be showing up very soon.  If you like Kings that is....... :-\ 

If you rely on Tom Hiltons #s you'l burn as much. I have Toms maps and generally the rig #s are the ONLY ones you can count on. I'm personal friends with Rik Jacobson and will say when you go to one of his #s when your GPS zeros out your bottom machine will lite up as ALL his #s are varified before published. The only thing about Rik is he dont have much out of Sabine and East, he does have many #s he's converted from GPS but will not publish till he actually checks his conversion. I'm currently waiting on him to get free and come take a ride.  http://redsnapperfishing.com/index.htm

Yes, I trailer my boat.  It's sitting on the side of my house where I can keep an eye on it.  It's only 23'.

Made it out today (Sun).  A bit choppy going out but a nice smooth ride coming in.  Had 20 snapper (5 limits) A 100# black tip, about a 50# king and an assortment of other goodies.  Overall, a good trip, except my new VHF woldn't transmit.  >:(

Made it out today (Sun).  A bit choppy going out but a nice smooth ride coming in.  Had 20 snapper (5 limits) A 100# black tip, about a 50# king and an assortment of other goodies.  Overall, a good trip, except my new VHF woldn't transmit.   >:(

5 limits = 20  ??? ??? ???  State waters huh..... ;D ;D

Better snapper than we had on Saturday.  Out of the 6 boats that were docked near us, we had 1 of 2 snapper that were caught.  A friend had 6 VERY nice ling.  We had a lot of big kings, with 4 over 50lbs (yuck).  Had 1 small ling and a few shark and mackrel. The charter we had did not have a single person who could fish, so other than the kings it was hook-up and hand them the rod.  Seas were very nice, especially back in.

Day like this makes you wish you were in a 40 mph boat instead of a 14 mph boat.

We fished 22-30 miles East of Galveston on rigs.  Not my idea....trust me.   

we made a trip out of POC last weekend(saturday and sunday), buoyweather was showing it to be 4-5 ft dropping as the night went on and through sunday.  No such luck. We made the run to falcon with the expectations of calmer seas overnight and planned to troll to the east breaks at daylight. Shoot, we tried the fishing at falcon at night and never broke through sharks, as soon as daylight hit with the rough seas we just headed back in with 26 released sharks and a mangrove snapper caught closer in, to show for our efforts. we were hoping to get out past falcon towards dutra and drift for swordfish but it was just too rough. 

"50# king, yuck"  may not eat good but a king that size needs to be entered in the star tournement. 

A fine friend pointed out the fact these fish would have placed or even won the Star the last few years..... :'( :'(  To say the least, my butt is now in the tourney. 

I used to live near Port-O and have spent a LOT of time on the water there.  When I was a kid my aunt and uncle, who are both deceast now, used to own what was Port O'Conner Fishing Center for YEARS.  I used to go to Port O to visit for the summer and get my picture taken with the fish during the Poco Bueno fishing tournament that he hosted at the fishing center.  I got my picture taken with what is still the State Record Blue Marlin 869 lbs.  I entered that picture in a TG&Y that used to be in Baytown Texas and won all kinds of stuff.  The rules were, take a picture of you and your fish and win the weekly prize.  Heck I had pictures of Blues, Whites, Wahoo, Tune, Dolphin, etc....  I won every freaking wekk...... ;D ;D ;D  The last week they changed the rules and said ONLY fresh water fish.  I caught about 100 hard heads and told the lady they were catfish and won again.  She was TCIKED >:( >:(

I have never caught a sword fish, but sure want to go to Venice and do a night sword fish trip....what fun that would be.

There are some very BIG kings and Ling out there right now.  It's going to take a big fish in each of these categories to win start this year.

I am doing a Billfish trip out of Freeport in early July.  Hopefully I will have a story when we get back and some pics.       

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83