Pool A Results

Diboll 34, Giddings 12

Bandera 34, Danbury 12

Giddings 43, Danbury 18

Diboll 41, Bandera 28

Bandera 18, Giddings 14

Diboll 48, Danbury 6

Observations

Points were easy to come by for the Lumberjacks, whose speed was too much for anyone in this field to overcome. The Bandera-Giddings game produced the rarest of rarities in SQT: a physical game in which things nearly got heated up.

Pool B Results

Hitchcock 34, LaVilla 19

Marlin 12, Orangefield 6

Marlin 22, Hitchcock 21

LaVilla 40, Orangefield 32 (2OT)

Hitchcock 34, Orangefield 28

Marlin 19, LaVilla 12

Observations

This was the most competitive pool as the Hitchcock-Marlin game ended deciding the fate of the Bulldogs. The loss proved costly to Hitchcock as their 89 points weren't enough to qualify for the at-large position.

Pool C Results

Normangee 39, Stafford 25

West Orange-Stark 38, Wharton 19

West Orange-Stark 27, Normangee 19

Wharton 20, Stafford 14 (OT)

Normangee 34, Wharton 26

West Orange-Stark 32, Stafford 7

Observations

The Mustangs had to hold off Normangee to advance, but the Panthers did District 25-1A proud by gaining the final berth, as their 92 total points were just enough to get a rematch against WO-S.

Semifinals

Diboll vs. Marlin

West Orange-Stark vs. Normangee

Semifinals

West Orange-Stark 24, Normangee 21

WOS Defeats Diboll 33-32 in the Championship Game.

Nice job Mustangs.  It would have been nice to see OF join us in College Station.

When is the state tourney?  (I need to make my reservations!!! ;D)

Also, does anyone know if the finals for the state tourney will be on the Aggies' practice field like last year?  Just wondering because only umbrellas were allowed and we would like to make sure that we bring some sheets or something to provide some shade.  Thanks!

Young 'Stangs gain confidence in 7-on-7

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — The talent pool rarely runs dry as far as West Orange-Stark football is concerned.

True, the Mustangs lost an exceptional senior group to graduation in May but a nice little youth movement is surfacing.

In 2006 7-on-7 action, the Mustangs found a gem in quarterback Andre Bevil, who replaced University of Texas signee Kenneth Beasley. Bevil, who was a defensive end his junior season, gained valuable experience in 7-on-7 last year. He developed a tremendous accurate arm and gained excellent rapport with his teammates. Bevil went on to pass for nearly 2,100 yards and 25 touchdowns as a senior.

Junior-to-be quarterback Ortavious Hypolite is developing those same type of skills this summer.

“It’s a tremendous feeling to gain so much confidence and knowing that the coaches are getting confident with me back there,†Hypolite. “So far, everything has been going great.â€

Great would be an understatement after last weekend’s 7-7 regional qualifier at Rice University.

Hypolite and the Mustangs stormed through pool play and went on to win the championship of their division to qualify for the 7-on-7 State Tournament, which will be held at Texas A&M University July 12.

In pool play, WO-S defeated Wharton 38-19, downed Stafford 32-7 and defeated a very tough 1A team in Normangee 27-19. The Mustangs went on to defeat Normangee again 24-21 in the semifinals and then fought off Diboll in a 33-32 nailbiter to win the championship.

“We had some tight games but we always found a way to make plays to push us ahead or keep us ahead,†Hypolite said. “All of our receivers were making tremendous plays and our defense was able to make critical stops.â€

Veteran seniors like Ronnie Dennis and DePauldrick Garrett enjoy what the young Hypolite brings to the table, especially Dennis, who has been training with Hypolite and snagging passes from his receiver spot.

“Ortavious has made great strides already this summer,†Dennis said. “We knew he was a good athlete already but he’s making himself into a really good quarterback and starting to get some of those leadership skills that it takes to guide an offense.â€

Hypolite understands that it is all a work in progress.

“When we first started, I couldn’t get the ball to anybody,†Hypolite said. “I was short-arming the ball and then I was throwing it over everyone’s head. But every day, throwing the ball to great guys like Ronnie Dennis, Josh Rhodes and Josh Gloston, everything started to click. They’ve made it easy for me. It has so much to do with timing.â€

Dennis also plays a key role in the defensive backfield and likes what he has seen early with the Mustang defense in 7-on-7.

“We’re replacing a lot of starters on defense this year and we’re all working so hard to prove that we can be just as good again,†Dennis said. “Sure, a lot of us get tired by going on both sides of the ball in 7-on-7 against bigger schools but that’s what 3A schools do. This keeps us really busy and it helps keep our focus on what we want to accomplish when the ‘real’ season comes along.â€

Long-time Mustang head coach Dan Hooks, who sports an amazing 250-62 mark in his coaching career, likes what he sees in a young Mustang group.

“We’re young in a lot of spots so it really made us proud, the way they performed at Rice,†Hooks said. “They played well throughout. Several of the games were tight and the kids made a lot of key plays that got them some wins. Hypolite has made super strides already. I think we’ll be just fine next season. We have a lot of kids working hard this summer and we’ve had a good turnout in the weightroom.â€

The fabled Texas Football Magazine came out this week. It’s District 21-3A predictions has Kirbyville picked to win District 21-3A with the Mustangs tabbed for second.

“I think a lot of people think we’ll be down a little this year because we’re a lot younger,†Dennis said. “When we saw that (Texas Football), it just motivated us more. Everyone can count on the Mustangs being ready. You can always count on that.â€

Sounds like to me, that WOS will not miss a beat this season. Any time we have been unerated, we have done outstanding. I like being tagged second, it makes the kids work harder.

I also like the name Hypolite. It has a certain ring to it. Like Steen or Beasley, or even Lewis. ;)

Results for the Katy Taylor SQT held at Cinco Ranch High School on June 16, 2007.

West Brook Falls just short!!!

Championship Game:

Cy-Creek  40

Katy Seven Lakes 34

3rd Place Game:

Morton Ranch  13

Bmt West Brook  6

Pool Play:

Pool One:

Cy-Creek  38 Katy Taylor 13

Cinco Ranch 28 Elsik  19

Cy-Creek 42 Cinco Ranch 40

Elsik  41 Katy Taylor 27

Katy Taylor 40 Cinco Ranch 28

Cy-Creek 27 Elsik  26

Pool Two:

Stratford 21 West Brook 20

Baytown Lee 26 Atascocita  6

West Brook 43 Atascocita 26

Stratford 33 Baytown Lee 25

Stratford 47 Atascocita 26

Baytown Lee 40 West Brook 26

Pool Three

Morton Ranch 38 Stafford 26

Terry  27 Sharpstown  0

Terry  39 Morton Ranch 12

Stafford 24 Sharpstown 13

Sharpstown 26 Morton Ranch 25

Terry  43 Stafford 25

Pool Four

Woodlands 40 Seven Lakes 33 (OT)

Katy  40 Cy-Falls  7

Woodlands 34 Cy-Falls 33 (OT)

Katy   54 Seven Lakes  6

Seven Lakes 30 Cy-Falls 26

Katy   50 Woodlands 33

Tyler Lee SQT For Saturday

Pool A

Rockwall*

John Tyler

Marshall

Lindale

Pool B

South Garland

Whitehouse

Jacksonville

Beaumont Central

Pool C

Sulphur Springs

Forney

Elysian Fields

Longview Pine Tree

Pool D

Arl. Lamar*

Tyler Lee

Belton

Palestine Westwood

Hopefully we can finish in the top 2 and go to State.

Guest Luv Ya Blue

Lumberton 41

Montgomery 34

Lumberton plays at 3:30 against Lufkin in Semi finals..If Lumberton wins they advance to the Big School State Tourney in College Station in July.

I went to the event. Lumberton looked really good against some good 4A and 5A teams. Almost made it to State.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa