***CONGRATS TO RICHARD NETHERLY AND KRIS RICHARD***

First of all congrats to the 2 winners!!!!!!!

Once again Ryan Donahoe getting no respect!!!!  The media who votes on this really has it out for the best guard in SE Texas because he is from HJ!!!!  Dang shame that the kid get's no respect!!!!!!

I would love to compare the AAA Player of the Years (Ryan Donahoe) stats versus The Gamble Mr. Outside winner (Kris Richards)!!!!!!

Man, that game last night would have been about 30 mins shorter if Kris had made those free throws at the end!! HA! We're lucky we got that second chance too!  It was a good game tho!! I think my favorite part was when Netherly rode that guy's back!! [Whenever he dunked and got the foul]  :D

Anyways, congrats to both Netherly and Kris! :)

Richard, Netherly grab Gamble Awards

By Dave Rogers

The Port Arthur News

PORT ARTHUR – Richard Netherly had a feeling he’d win the Mr. Inside Award for 2007 at Saturday night’s fifth annual James Gamble Awards banquet.

And he was right.

Kris Richard had a feeling he wouldn’t repeat as Mr. Outside because his competition included two state players of the year and Memorial High’s scoring machine.

He was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

And every one of the 400 or so basketball fans in attendance at the Carl Parker Center went home feeling good about the state of high school hoops in Southeast Texas.

After all, this area put an unprecedented three teams into last month’s UIL state championship games and two, Hardin-Jefferson in Class 3A and Kountze in 2A, brought home all the marbles. Other local teams like West Brook and Memorial returned to the playoffs after a few years’ absence.

“We would like to think the success Southeast Texas had in Austin this year was just a little bit because the youngsters are working hard to be recognized with these awards,†said Gamble, the Hall of Fame coach who led Port Arthur Lincoln to four state titles in the 1980s.

The teams from Hardin-Jefferson, Kountze and Class 4A runnerup Beaumont Ozen received a special recognition at the event at Lamar State College-Port Arthur.

Lincoln High players from the pre-integration Prairie View Interscholastic League days were saluted, too.

Richard, a 6-foot-4 Ozen senior, became the second two-time winner in the short history of the event, joining Ashton Hall of Kountze, the Mr. Inside winner in 2004 and 2005.

A Tulane University signee, Richard is on a list of Mr. Outside Award winners that includes Trey McDowell of West Brook (2003), Keithan Hancock of Kountze (2004) and Rod Bellard of Ozen (2005).

“I didn’t think I’d win it two years in a row,†said the all-stater who was a leader on Ozen teams that went 82-8 the past three seasons and posted a perfect 38-0 record in district games.

Ozen wrapped up a 29-6 season with an upset of Fort Worth Dunbar in the state semifinals and a loss to No. 1-ranked South Oak Cliff in the Class 4A title game.

“It’s a great honor,†Richard said after his win.

Netherly, a 6-foot-7 West Orange-Stark forward, said he expected to win the Mr. Inside Award last year when he led his team to its first state tourney trip.

Once again Ryan Donahoe getting no respect!!!!  The media who votes on this really has it out for the best guard in SE Texas because he is from HJ!!!!  Dang shame that the kid get's no respect!!!!!!

I would love to compare the AAA Player of the Years (Ryan Donahoe) stats versus The Gamble Mr. Outside winner (Kris Richards)!!!!!!

You really are hating on the side and you've been doing alot of that on this site...anyway...Congrats to the winners my first time missing a Gamble game and sholl hated it, man I bet it was krunk....

Too many politics involved in these all star games and giving out these awards!!!  How does Richard (who is a great player, don't get me wrong) win the award over 2 players who were named MVP of the respective classifications?  Donahoe AAA MVP and Powell AA MVP!!!!

I was there, Netherly had a great game ( best i have seen from him all year ) he made a lot of free throws toward the end of the game, man I have to agree the game would have been a lot shorter if we weren't 1 for 7 from the freethrow line with under thirty seconds left in the game. Donahoe played great I wasn't counting but I didnt see him miss but three shots all night. I think he shot for more than fiftey percent from behind the arc. He probably had more assist than anyone but he has always been a great team player.

CJ Busby Played a great game as well he really impressed me. He can shoot the three ball very well he just didn't get many looks, looks like 3A and 2A took the game over.

For some reason..I though J'Covan Brown was the 4th ranked SG in the Nation and the 14th ranked player overall in the country.  I guess I was mistaken, he's not even the best guard in SE Texas...... ::) ??? ::)

For some reason..I though J'Covan Brown was the 4th ranked SG in the Nation and the 14th ranked player overall in the country.  I guess I was mistaken, he's not even the best guard in SE Texas...... ::) ??? ::)

And once again someone else is HATING on him.....you and the Lazeek dude must be bestfriends with all this HATING 

To all you guys who say that they think the award should have went to someone else, 1st off everyone is entitled to their own opinon but the truth of the matter is that Richards helped his team win in a tougher classification compared to the two state player of the years and if you want to argue about J. Brown it's simple, how far did the 14th or 15th ranked point guard in the nation lead his team in the playoffs...  YOU CAN ARGUE IF YOU WANT TO BUT I'LL ONLY MAKE MORE SINCE IF I GO ANY FURTHER..

HJ had not won a playoff game in 3 years.....and then Donahoe carried them to a Championship.  Ozen at the beginning of the year had a much better chance at a Championship than HJ did, I promise you that!!!!!

BTW the district Ozen is inis 10 times easier than the district that HJ and Kountze were in!!!!!  Ozen was the district champ before the season started and everyone knew it!!!!  Kountze split there district championship with EC and HJ won easily the toughest AAA district in the state!!!

No doubt that Kris is an incredible player....otherwise he would not be going to Tulane!!!  Even though I am a HJ guy I feel like Powell and Donahoe deserved it more!!!!!

that thing u were talking about how Donahoe was 3A MVP... and kris richards wasn't... im pretty sure if Ozen had won the state championship game that Richards would have won the 4A MVP award...

Kris richards is an excllent player and has worked hard for this... congratulations to him...

Ryan Donahoe is also a very good player and works just as hard... just came up a little bit short ...

But also think about how many players there are in this area... and Donahoe is considered in the top 3 or 4 in an area that produced 2 State Champions, a State Runner up, and 2 Regional finalists (maybe 3 dont remember if WH made it to regional semi-finals or finals)... this is a talented area full of great athletes...

Congratulations to Netherly and Richards on Mr. Inside and Mr. outside awards...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont