**POST TRACK MEET RESULTS HERE**

21-3A meet field events today

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — On a day when rain washed out the field events, District 21-3A did get in a little action on Tuesday.

Tracksters were able to compete in the preliminary running events which set up the running finals at 6 p.m. Friday.

The field events are scheduled to start up at 1 p.m. today at Orangefield High School.

One event was completed on Tuesday with the Bridge City track team picking up a few points in the boys and girls 3,200 meter run.

Bridge City’s Jessica Garza picked up a quick 10 points for her team after winning the 3,200 meters with a time of 12:53.28.

Hardin-Jefferson’s Paige Sermons placed second with a time of 13:11.84 and Bridge City’s Melissa Pittman placed third with a time of 13:58.98.

In the boy’s side Kirbyville’s Conner Fuller came in first with a time of 10:48.94.

Bridge City took second and third as Ryan Kelly was second at 10:58.85 and Tim Cude was third with a time of 11:11.92.

Parker, Bean shine at 22-4A meet

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

NEDERLAND — It was all about being in “cruise control†for Little Cypress-Mauriceville senior Drew Bean at the District 22-4A Track & Field Championships at Bulldog Stadium Tuesday.

Bean, the Bears’ amazing distance runner, cruised around the track to win the 3,200 meters in 9 minutes, 50.11 seconds.

That’s not bad considering he probably could’ve got pulled over by a Texas state trooper after running the 3,200 meters in 9:22 to claim the Texas Relays this past Friday.

Meanwhile, three new district marks were smashed Tuesday.

Vidor sophomore Jared Parker soared to a new district record in the pole vault, going 14-6.

Dayton’s P.J. McGowen went 6 feet, 9 inches to claim the boys’ high jump while Beaumont Ozen’s Jarrack Lee tossed the discus 160-11 to smash the district mark.

For Bean, the 22-4A race was just a “jog in the park.â€

“I just wanted to come out and run relaxed,†Bean said. “I stayed on a 75-second lap pace and was able to finish strong with a 59.2 final lap. I really felt good and now it’s all about regionals.â€

Bean’s trip to the Texas Relays has him pumped up about what’s ahead.

“Winning the Texas Relays, that’s a special feeling and it’s such a great atmosphere,†Bean said. “I really think I have a lot more in the tank. I know I can get under 9:20 and I’d like to get near 9:10 or maybe chase the state 4A record of 9:08.â€

Next up for Bean, a trip to the Class 4A Region III Track & Field Championships at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville Apr. 27-28.

For Parker, there’s still plenty in store for the young Pirate.

With a host of Vidor Lady Pirates rooting him on, Parker took down Dayton’s Levi Tatum when he cleared 14 feet with ease. The Pirate sophomore then cleanly cleared 14-6, which was his personal best for the season, which was 14 feet. Parker almost cleared 15 feet on his first attempt to smash the record more but proudly bowed out at 15 feet.

“To come out here and set the district record, that’s an amazing feeling,†Parker said. “I know 15 feet is coming some day if I keep working hard. I really liked the conditions today, we had a good tailwind. I thought the one I cleared 14-6 on could have easily been 15 feet.â€

McGowen received a nice test from LC-M junior Phillip Richard in the high jump. Richard equaled his season-best, placing second with a 6-4 effort. Richard missed his first two attempts at 5-10, but shook off that frustration by nailing his third attempt and then cleared 6 feet, 6-2 and 6-4 in fine fashion.

McGowen, though, had the final answer. He easily cleared 6-6 and then nailed his 6-8 attempt on the third try and then knocked out the district record with his 6-9 effort.

After the high jump, McGowen promptly went to the long jump and went a lofty 22-7 to claim that event as well.

Vidor’s Jason Williamson also landed a regional spot by placing third the high jump with a 6-2 effort. LC-M’s David Sicktich was the fourth Orange County regional qualifier as he placed third in the shot put with a heave of 43-2 1/2.

The Ozen Lady Panthers lead the girls division after field events and the 3,200 meters with 67 points with Nederland a close second with 64. Ozen leads the boys division with 53 points with Dayton in second with 40.

There were two double-winners in the girls division as Ozen’s Alexus Brannen won both the long jump (18-2) and triple jump (38-3 1/4), in which she improved on her area best mark. Brannen’s teammate Kumyae Renfro captured both the shot put (35-3 1/2) and the discus (104-8).

Nederland Lady Bulldog Chelsea Yaws improved on her area-best time in the 3,200 meters, running a 12:13.29. Ozen’s Tiara Robinson claimed the high jump with a 5-2 mark while Nederland’s Markee Johnson won the pole vault with an 8-6 effort.

On the boys side, Beaumont Central’s Thomas Campbell won the triple jump with a 43-10 1/4 mark and Ozen’s Darren Wilkerson won the shot put with a toss of 48-9 1/2.

The 22-4A running will be held at Bulldog Stadium Thursday starting at 5 p.m.

PRichard.JPG

The competition between Earl Thomas and Co. of WO-S and BC's Dishon and Mills are going to be great! The running finals will be awesome and Wednesdays long and triple jumps will be very entertaining. Then the girls sides of these events are amazing too. I have never that big of a track fan until lately, if you never been to a meet, head to Orangefield on Wednesday and Friday!

BC's Jaques wins three events at 21-3A meet

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — The great Michael Jordan would’ve been proud of Bridge City senior Christina Jaques Wednesday.

After all, Jaques poured in 30 points.

Wait a second though, Jaques scored her 30 in the District 21-3A Track & Field Championships.

The splendid four-sport Lady Cardinal standout captured three first-place finishes, winning the long jump, triple jump and high jump at Orangefield High School.

Jaques cleared a school-record in the long jump, ripping off a leap of 17 feet, 4 3/4 inches. She won the triple jump with a 35-8 1/4 effort and claimed the high jump by going five feet.

“I really felt good in the long jump after struggling in the high jump,†said Jaques, who has high jumped 5-6 this season. “I really wanted to make a statement by being more competitive in the long jump. The conditions were nice as far as the jumps today. I was fortunate enough to land a big one.â€

The 30 points were big as far as the Lady Cardinal team point total goes.

“The best thing about it was that I was able to help the team out,†Jaques said. “That’s what it is all about. We have such a good, well-rounded team and I really think we have a shot at the team championship. Hopefully this will get us off to a good start going into the running finals.â€

“Christina, what another phenomenal day for her,†said Lady Cardinal head coach Karen Bozeman. “She’s just an amazing athlete. She’s been battling an injury (quad) and she came out here and racked up 30 points. That’s a tough thing to do in any track meet and to be able to do that in a district meet, that’s shows how special she is.â€

West Orange-Stark senior Jacoby Franks stormed to both jumping titles on the boys side, winning the long jump by going a Southeast Texas area season-best of 22-8 and he claimed the triple jump with a leap of 43-8 3/4.

“I liked my chances today and I knew I was going to have to compete hard to get a regional spot,†Franks said. “There were so many tremendous jumpers here and it’s a wonderful feeling to come out and get the job done. I thought 22 feet would get me in but 22-8, I never really expected that. I really got up on that one and my speed was pretty good on my approach.â€

Mustang coach Toby Foreman knew Franks had it in him.

“Jacoby Franks, the best word to describe him is ‘competitor’, “ Foreman said. “He went 22 feet earlier in the year so we knew he had it in him. He goes at everything he does 100 percent, whether it’s football, baseball or track. Jacoby and Earl (Thomas) love competing against each other in everything. To have those two going at it in practice every day, that’s fun to watch.â€

Thomas earned a regional berth by placing third in the long jump with a mark of 21-5 3/4.

The tightest event of the day came in the boys shot put between two of the area’s finest in WO-S senior Adrian Mims and Silsbee’s Ahmad Jones, who had both tossed an area-best of 51-1 this season.

In the finals Jones captured first place with a superb heave of 51-7 1/4, just nipping Mims, who had a mark of 51-6. The two will meet again Apr. 27-28 at the Class 3A Region III Track & Field Championships at Humble High School.

“It was exciting and I thought I could pull it out,†Mims said. “Jones reached out there and got a big one too. I gave him best regards and we’ll be back at it again when regionals

come around. It was fun and I’m just glad to have an opportunity to get back to regionals.â€

Orangefield’s Justin Granger nabbed Orange County’s other first-place finish Wednesday, winning the discus with a toss of 126-8. Bridge City’s Chase Leger (6-0) and Orangefield’s Derek Evans (5-10) both advanced to regionals by placing second and third respectively in the high jump. Hardin-Jefferson’s Justin Anderson won the event by going 6-2. Orangefield’s Shea Mayo nabbed second in the pole vault by going 11-6.

On the girls side, WO-S senior Vanquanisha Jordan was second behind Jaques in the long jump with a 17-0 1/4 effort.

Other winners on the girls side Wednesday included Hamshire-Fannett’s Jalisa Harry in the discus (96-0) and Silsbee’s Sherry Wineland in the pole vault (9-6). Kirbyville’s Latoya Crawford led a 1-2-3 Lady Wildcat sweep in the shot put by tossing 33-1.

On Tuesday, Bridge City’s Erica Garza qualified for regional by winning the 3,200 meters in 12:53.28.

The District 21-3A running finals will begin at 5 p.m. Friday at Orangefield High School.

The District 22-4A Track & Field Championships will have its running finals today at 5 p.m.

Found em on there Coop!

Results from 21-3A Track and Field events

Leader Sports

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — Here are the results of the field events and the 3,200 meters at the District 21-3A Track & Field Championships Wednesday at Orangefield High School:

GIRLS DIVISION

Discus — 1. Jalisa Harry, H-F, 96-0; 2. Yvonne Vega, H-F, 89-5; 3. Jeni Hawk, Silsbee, 87-7.

Shot put — 1. Latoya Crawford, Kirbyville, 33-1; 2. D’Rhonda Gosey, Kirbyville, 32-5 1/4; 3. Andreya Rawls, Kirbyville, 32-3 1/2.

High jump — 1. Christina Jaques, Bridge City, 5-0; 2. Samieka Buckley, Silsbee, 5-0; 3. Julie Harrington, H-F, 5-0.

Long jump — 1. Christina Jaques, Bridge City, 17-4 3/4; 2. Vanquanisha Jordan, WO-S, 17-0 3/8; 3. Ashlei Rivas, Kirbyville, 16-9 5/8.

Triple jump — 1. Christina Jaques, Bridge City, 35-8 1/4; 2. Brittany Cooper, H-F, 34-9; 3. Brittany Henry, Silsbee, 34-5.

Pole vault — 1. Sherry Wineland, Silsbee, 9-6; 2. Megan Mclehany, H-F, 8-6; 3 (t.). Tyler Block, Orangefield and Chelsea Coleman, Bridge City, 8-0.

3,200 meters — 1. Erica Garza, Bridge City, 12:53.28; 2. Paige Sermons, H-J, 13:11.84; 3. Melissa Pittman, Bridge City, 13:58.98.

BOYS DIVISION

Discus — 1. Justin Granger, Orangefield, 126-8; 2. Jay Mullens, Silsbee, 121-3; 3. Patrick Carlton, Bridge City, 120-6.

Shot put — 1. Ahmad Jones, Silsbee, 51-7 1/4; 2. Adrian Mims, WO-S, 51-6; 3. Daniel Paulus, Silsbee, 46-8 1/2.

High jump — 1. Justin Anderson, H-J, 6-2; 2. Chase Leger, Bridge City, 6-0; Derek Evans, Orangefield, 5-10.

Long jump — 1. Jacoby Franks, WO-S, 22-8; 2. Terrance McCarter, Silsbee, 22-4 3/4; 3. Earl Thomas, WO-S, 21-5 3/4.

Triple jump — 1. Jacoby Franks, WO-S, 43-8 3/4; 2. Justin Anderson, H-J, 43-7; 3. Jardell Elam, Silsbee, 43-1 3/4.

Pole vault — 1. William Harper, Silsbee, 11-6; 2. Shea Mayo, Orangefield, 11-6; 3. Curtis Gaspard, H-F, 11-0.

3,200 meters — 1. Conner Fuller, Kirbyville, 10:48.94; 2. Ryan Kelley, Bridge City, 10:58.85; 3. Tim Cude, Bridge City, 11:11.92.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83