***Larry Tidwell Becomes Lamar Ladies HC**

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I do think they can make it there, but I do get your point those senior girls that have been playing together since they were very young and played little dribblers and AAU together, so I don't give all the credit to Coach A either.  I think she did a good job, but I think anyone could have coached this years team and come out like they did. 

Guest bleed orange

You say any coach could have brought this team as far. Just a question. What if they had a coach (and there are a bunch out there) that let them goof off everyday in practice, never conditioned them, never worked on defense and never watched film on opposing teams? True they still may win alot of games because they are talented. We won alot of games because we worked harder. We have to, we are not big and we are not the fastest. We played against some teams that were way more athletic than we are but yet we won. Somebody had to of been preparing the girls and working them hard in order for us to win those games. Most kids won't do it on their own they have to be pushed.

I have never heard the words out of Coach A's mouth that she takes all the credit for the teams success. I bet if you ask her she will tell you that she is fortunate to coach at a school were the kids work their tails off and the parents are dedicated to improving kids basketball skills and fundamentals.

The year before Coach A got to Orangefield we won 8 games and did not have a winning record the previous 3 years. In her first year she took some of the same players who only won 8 games and won 20 games. I guess any coach could have done that also. Next years team is next years team. Maybe they won't make it to regionals next year but it won't be because they are not prepared or have not worked their tails off to get there. They will be just fine. So lets wait and see.

Winning nationals in little dribblers was awesome. The parents and kids will never forget it and they should'nt. Just because you win nationals does not mean continued success at the high school level. Example: Hamphire Fannett won it when they were 9-10 year olds and never got out of district all 4 years of high school. Things happen, like kids qutting or getting interested in other things and even maturing at different levels in their life. As far as the girls not losing a game in junior high and winning by an average margin of 48-12 well we knew at a young age that group of girls were special and they were way more advanced than the teams they were playing. They should be proud of what they accomplished in junior high. They should equally be proud of what they accomplished in high school. We will always remember this group of kids but hopefully down the road we will be saying the samething about another group of girls and another and another. Also one more thing, you say that any coach could have won with that group of girls well the samething could be said about them winning nationals in little dribblers.

I have had the good fortune to coach the two Brittany's in AAU.  Both want to win, and both want to be a part of the winning.  If Lamar had recruited them wisely, I think they both might have considered going there.  They barely talked to BJ and they didn't even bother contacting B. Scott.  I will also say this, the AAU team I coached for several years had a blend of players from this area.  All but 2 of them were from the Golden Triangle and 2 years ago we came in 3rd in the Addida's classic in Atlanta and 4th at the Nike Invite in Memphis.  There were about 80 teams there and we played in the top division.  Local players can definately compete at a National level.

As far as the subjec to coaches at Lamar, I am totally confident that Lamar made the correct hire.  Someone said that coach A "turned it around" at OF.  The current group of seniors didn't lose a game in Jr. High, in fact, they AVERAGED winning 48-12.  They won National's in Little Dribblers, (if you don't think that is a big deal, check out which schools win that, and then for the next several years see who is ranked in the top 10 in the state) and competed 10 months a year in AAU. Not only that, for several years surrounding that group, they either won district or came in second. 

I agree with whichever individual said that the coach gets way too much credit.  I don't think Orebo is much of a coach, but I do think she had the sense to step down when the talent well dried up.  Lets see how far Coach A takes OF next year.  I will be willing to bet with anyone that wants they won't be at the regional tournament.

I agree, maybe you need to change your screename. Your definetly not a "true Bobcat"!!! To me, that last sentence is a direct slap in the face to next years team and coaching staff.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how good these girls the past four years have been. Maybe we should be talking about how good they "could" have been...instead of being happy with just getting to "regionals"...maybe a little extra work and your talking about "state tournament". I'm talking about, staying after practice to shoot, working out during the summer and just flat out wanting it!!! As good as the were, they could have been better. And before you say that they did want it, I know they did...I saw the way the looked and felt after losing the Diboll game, but it was to late then. They should have had that same want to during the summer and during the season. It was too late then...and I'm not saying anything about them not playing hard or practicing hard. I'm just saying they could have been better with more work and dedication from themselves.

As far as you my friend, you sound like a bitter parent that is living your dreams through your kid. Junior high and Little Dribblers are you serious?

What in the world did all this nonsense have to do with Larry Tidwell being named head coach at Lamar?????????? We need to start a new thread for all this other stuff.Lil Dribblers and Jr.High Geez cmon folks we're talking about a college coach for crying out loud.

Guest bleed orange

I agree whsalum, but you know that all threads change at one time or another. Everybody allways seem to get off the subject at hand. Thats just the way it is. Somebody else started it, not me.

I am happy Coach A is staying at Orangefield (although I am sorry for her she didn't get the Lamar job). There might not be as much talent next year at OF that we have had in recent years, but she will get them ready to play hard. As far as Lamar goes, I am hoping Tidwell gets SOME local talent because there is a lot here, but I will be at the games rooting on the Lady Cardinals regardless. It just creates a better atmosphere when there are more people in the stands, and crowds come when teams win, no getting around it. Hopefully Coach Tidwell will turn the program around soon.

Let me slow this down for you folks who like to read more into a post than is there.  As was so aptly mentioned, this thread is about Larry Tidwell becoming the new Lamar coach.  It is astonishing to me that individuals don't recognize that he is much more qualified than Coach A for that job.  How you figure that makes me a "hater" is even more questionable.  I have stated several times that I think Coach A is a very good HIGH SCHOOL COACH.  The only reason for discussing the current group of seniors is to say, lets see what she does with much less talent before we crown her coach of the decade. And for those of you foolish enough to believe that I don't want OF to win don't know me at all.  I have coached KK Little since she was 9 years old.  I HOPE they go to state next year, and if they do I will be there cheering them on. At that point I would also be the first to jump up and say that Coach A made a significant difference in that team.  But to put this in perspective, how would everyone around here feel if Lamar football comes back and they hire a local high school coach?  People would freak and say that he wasn't the best candidate for the job.  That is the whole issue here, nothing else.  As someone mentioned, I am glad Tubbs did the hiring. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• First pitch about to be in the books.
    • Chester will be the home team tonight.  Neches Tigers will be the visitors.
    • The locals have almost finished firing the first ever Speaker of the House from Southeast Texas upon direct order of Trump and his minions.   It's a sad day... Locals have decided that being represented by the most powerful man in the House didn't mean anything.... they'd rather a political novice to represent this part of SETX.  And why is that?  He wasn't MAGA enough for them.  Who cares that it will hurt locally... What Trump says, goes.     Just yesterday I saw Trump on television demanding that we fire Phelan... How he's a RINO, weak on the border, etc... why?  Because he wouldn't overlook the criminal actions done by Ken Paxton, one of Trump's key supporters in the effort to overturn the 2020 Election and allow Trump to remain in office despite the will of the voters.   Trump never even mentioned Covey's name, and I doubt he would recognize Covey if Covey walked up with a cup of coffee.  Who cares that it's bad for SETX?  Not the R voters from SETX!   Then I saw Covey's preacher on a different ad tell a bald face lie.  Why should Phelan be fired?  "He put Democrats in positions of power in the House."  Really?  That's been the position of BOTH parties for as long as anybody can remember.  They ALWAYS give the minority party committee chairmanships.  But in 2022 the Rs decided that the practice should stop.  Democrat voters should not be allowed a voice in the crafting of legislation if there is a single majority Republican seat in the House, according to the Rs.  Representative Government?  Never heard of it, huh? Never did I believe that we'd have an abortion ban, constitutional carry, huge cuts for school property taxes, and Texas law enforcement being greenlit to enforce immigration law.  But it all happened while Phelan was speaker.  Without a doubt, the most conservative Speaker, ever.  But still a dirty RINO for not being MAGA enough.  It would be funny if it weren't true.   I've been following politics long enough to remember when Rs couldn't get elected in Texas... I'm confident that we're headed back that direction.  I mean, it's obvious that with population shifts we'll be turning blue eventually.  I think that the behavior of the leadership of the Republican Party is going to cause that shift sooner than expected.  I won't be surprised to see Democrat Senators and possibly even a governor elected within 12 years.  Maybe less.  The Rs will be a party apparatus without a voting base behind them.
    • Yellowjacket faithful are still pouring into Hudson HS’s Gipson Field!!!!  
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
  • Topics