Tubby Smith to Minnesota

JMay

What does this mean for aTm hoops?  If UK comes calling, does Billy Gillespie answer?

Kentucky is one of those jobs that you have to look at.  They are right up there with Indiana, Kansas. Duke, North Carolina and UCLA.  The brass at A&M beetter open up the coffers in the offseason.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about coach leaving for Kentucky.  Money won't be the issue...A&M will offer him as much as any place, but it is the prestige of Kentucky that A&M, and pretty much no school, can match.  GIllispie turned down Indiana last year, so we will see.

I think Gillespie has an ideal situation at A&M.  Just watching all the torment that Tubby Smith went through, that seems like one of those jobs where the expectations are almost unreachable.  If you dont contend for the NC then you might as well have skipped the season.  Gillespie has put himself in a good position and the fans at A&M obviously appreciate what he has done.

I tought of him leaving, but know he wont. First like some said money is not a problem. Second he just got done buying quite a bit of land in college station. Third its Texas A&M(haha i had to). But in all seriousness i dont think Billy is one of those that wants to be around all the fame. If you look at the places he coached before, you can see that most werent doing good for a while. UK is a great basketball school, for it has been one of the best but they have all these record books showing how many great seasons and all the trophies they have won. If you look at A&M they are a new school to this, they have had there short spirts but nothing great. I think Billy will stay and stay for a while, maybe even be his last coaching spot. I see him staying in Aggieland and making his own book of records to read and trophies to look at.

You guys are confused.......Billy is not one of the premier coaches in teh country.  He has had 2 good years and you are ready to make him the crown jewel!!!  He is not worthy of being at a school like Kentucky at this stage of his career.  They will bring in a more seasoned veteran to rebuild quickly!!!

From ESPN

According to inside sources, Marquette coach Tom Crean, Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Memphis coach John Calipari, Gonzaga's Mark Few, Texas A & M's Billy Gillispie and Villanova's Jay Wright are expected to be the top candidates for what is one of the few premier jobs in men's college basketball.

From CBS:

Sources from inside the Kentucky camp are said to be considering coaches within the NBA and coaches of several of the nation's top college programs including: Marquette's Tom Crean, Ohio State's Thad Matta, Texas A&M's Billy Gillispie, Memphis' John Calipari, Villanova's Jay Wright, Texas' Rick Barnes, Gonzaga's Mark Few and Michigan State's Tom Izzo. Also, don't be surprised if the interest of Louisville's Rick Pitino is gauged.

From NBC5 in Dallas

NBC's Derek Castillo asked Gillispie after the game about rumors that he will be taking the Kentucky job

Castillo:  What is your reaction to reports that you are going to be the new head coach at Kentucky and how did that impact this team?

Gillispie: I don't worry about that. I'm honest with my players.

Castillo: Did you talk to your players after the game about your situation?

Gillispie: Would you?

Castillo: I don't know

Gillispie: Goodness Gracious

We asked freshman point guard Donald Sloan about the rumors after the game:

Sloan:  I already talked to coach about that [reports that he is leaving] and he's an honest person - he gave me a straight up answer. I like the answer he gave me. You know I'm not really worried about that.  We'll be back.

I hate it when reporters ask that question right after a loss.  I know they have to, but I thought Roy Williams said it best when Bonnie Bernstein asked him after the NC game loss to Syarcuse if he was leaving to go to UNc.  "Right now i gotta go talk to 13 guys that just lost the National Championship game.  I don't give a s*@# about North Carolina right now."

Best line in a post game interview I have ever heard!

You guys are confused.......Billy is not one of the premier coaches in teh country.  He has had 2 good years and you are ready to make him the crown jewel!!!  He is not worthy of being at a school like Kentucky at this stage of his career.  They will bring in a more seasoned veteran to rebuild quickly!!!

If this is indeed the case then explain to me why every major sports broadcaster in the nation has him on their list of interviewed coaches for the job. Is he a seasoned legend in NCAA Basketball. . .NO!!!, but has he turned around a program with almost no basketball history in just 3 years. . .MOST DEFINITELY! Give the guy some credit here, Kentucky has nothing to lose at this point because Tubby just isn't getting it done.

If this is indeed the case then explain to me why every major sports broadcaster in the nation has him on their list of interviewed coaches for the job. Is he a seasoned legend in NCAA Basketball. . .NO!!!, but has he turned around a program with almost no basketball history in just 3 years. . .MOST DEFINITELY! Give the guy some credit here, Kentucky has nothing to lose at this point because Tubby just isn't getting it done.

If Tubby is not getting it done then maybe Duke should fire Coach K!!!!!!  He lost in the 1st round for 1st time in like 20 years that they have made the tournament.  I will repeat what I said in a earlier post....Billy is a great coach, but he is not a savior!!!  And there is a big difference in turning ATM around and Kentucky!!!  The Big 12 can't hold anything on the SEC!!!!!!!  I hate both schools so I don't really care, but all you damn fools who think he is a savior are very confused!!!  Tubby is one of the greatest coaches to ever be in NCAA!!!!!!  Look into teh future...how many NCAA Championships do you think Billy will get at Kentucky!!!!!  I will make a statement and say none!!!!!!!  Just like he will get at ATM!!!!!

If Tubby is not getting it done then maybe Duke should fire Coach K!!!!!!  He lost in the 1st round for 1st time in like 20 years that they have made the tournament.  I will repeat what I said in a earlier post....Billy is a great coach, but he is not a savior!!!  And there is a big difference in turning ATM around and Kentucky!!!  The Big 12 can't hold anything on the SEC!!!!!!!  I hate both schools so I don't really care, but all you dang fools who think he is a savior are very confused!!!  Tubby is one of the greatest coaches to ever be in NCAA!!!!!!  Look into teh future...how many NCAA Championships do you think Billy will get at Kentucky!!!!!  I will make a statement and say none!!!!!!!  Just like he will get at ATM!!!!!

First of all it has only been 11 years since Duke lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Second of all what secret do you know that makes Tubby one of the best coaches in the NCAA. He won a National Championship with the team Pattino built and hasn't really done much since. This is his first year without Sparks, the last of Pattino's dream team, and he got slaughtered this year. Did he get an invitation to the Tournament. . .sure, but that is because Kentucky is a high profile team. They did not play anywhere near the level they have in the past and it is questionable if they even really deserved an invite this year. And to discuss you comment about how "turning ATM around is much different than turning Kentucky around" It seems to me that Kentucky would be easier to turn around based on their previous basketball history. And just to clear something up the Big 12 is just as competitive as the SEC. I do believe the player of the year came from the Big 12. So when you decide to crawl off of your Florida bandwagon and take a look at the real world let me know.

Big 12 just as competitive as the SEC!!!!!!   When was the last time that the Big 12 won a National Title in hoops????  The answer was Kansas in 1988....SEC Has 4 titles since then (Arkansas, UK twice and the Gators last year).  Big 12 had 1 team make it to the Sweet 16 and the SEC had 3, two of which lost by 1 point in their bid for the Elite Eight!!!  Of the major conferences the Big 12 would rank at best 3rd IMO!!!  We can just agree to disagree!!!!!

Are you watching the NIT or what?!? The Big 12 had 2 schools in the Sweet 16, one of which lost by1 point from going to the Elite 8, as if that really matters, and one who is going on to the Elite 8. The overall issue here is not an argument between you and I over the superiority of the Big 12 vs the SEC. . .If you are going to put facts up for the entire world to see then leave your bias out of them. That is why they are called FACTS, because they can be proven. And if you are going to post facts then be dang sure you get them correct.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami