Bridge City 13 Orangefield 11 Final/Tuesday

Guest bcboy31

Guest Orangeboy

Hats off to the Bobcats as they came about as close to the upset as possible.  Top notch freshmen on both teams tell us that the next three years will be fun.  My Cardinals have to feel extremely fortunate to get out of this one with a W.  Anyone have the stats?  BC had to walk 12 to 13 guys with 2 hit batsmen.  Way too many free passes.  Good luck Bobcats!  If you are going to play that well, playoffs are an attainable goal.  Hope to see you Cardinals Friday night at home. ;)

Well Said. BC is very lucky to have gotten out of there alive.  The Orangefield kids played there hearts out and have nothing to be ashamed about.  The umpire was horrible on both sides. The pithers had to throw belt high fast balls to get a strike called and everyone knows wat happens when you are forced to get the ball up.  Freshmen kids looked very good on both sides.  Look forward to see how both teams rebound from this one.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The theme of the night last night at the OF-BC game was simple. DON’T swing. Chances are, you would get a walk. The umpire had a very small strike zone and it hurt ALL the pitchers for both BC and Orangefield, especially the two starters who had more movement on their pitches. A lot of their pitches caught the corners and edges and were called balls. I was sitting by a buddy of mine from Orangefield behind the plate and neither of us was very happy. When the ump started calling all the balls for Stringer my friend looked at me several times and said “That was a strike†and he never admits an opposing players pitches are good. Of course, I had to say the same to him because the OF pitcher got strikes called as balls too. The only pitch that really wasn’t falling at all  for Stringer was the curve ball. He just didn’t seem to be on like he has been so far this year. The Statum kid from OF got a couple of  bad calls at the end of the game as well. Hicks and LaFleur did a great job for their teams considering no one knew where the plate was later in the game (buried about two feet under the dirt, the ump went about 2 ½ innings without cleaning it.) Guess it didn't really matter, though, the ump wasn't using it as a strike zone reference  ;D.

Another  thing that bothered me about the game was some BC people’s perception of Orangefield’s team. When BC fell behind, I heard two other men say “And this is the weakest team in our district†about Orangefield. Folks, when are you going to wake up and realize you never count out the Bobcats. Even when they are smaller or their talent level isn’t up with other teams they never give up. They are scrappy and play hard no matter what. They jumped on every opportunity to score and if not for a couple of wild pitches, they probably would have won. They have a very smart coach and a young team and should only get better.

All in all, it was a really wild game and I’m just happy the Cardinals came out of it with the win. Good luck to the Bobcats in your season, you played a heck of a game.

Guest Cardinal12

BC has alot of work ahead of them if they expect to win this district. Orangefield played as good as ive ever seen them play and i give them credit. Stringer didn't have his normal stuff and the umpire didn't help (both ways) As far as the comments in the stands i apolgise for them. Orangefield proved there way better than the weakest team in this district. Good luck to both team the rest of the way.

It may have not been the best played game ever, and it certainly was not the best 'umpired' game ever but it did have just about everything else.  Walks, hit batters, big hits, errors, wild pitches and passed balls...you name it.  The emotions in the stands were enormous.  OF had it won...then OF was trying to just hang on...BC is down to their last strike...then tied on 0-2 wild pitch...then 2b from OF makes a heckuva stop but the throw gets away and BC is winning.  Remarkable game and remarkable effort.  The old adage of 'leave all you have on the field" was in play last night.  Both teams left all they had...

Wow.

It may have not been the best played game ever, and it certainly was not the best 'umpired' game ever but it did have just about everything else.  Walks, hit batters, big hits, errors, wild pitches and passed balls...you name it. 

How about that weird hit by the Orangefield batter? I don't remember if he pulled back around on a bunt or if it was a checked swing, but the end of the bat (below the hands) accidently made contact with the ball and it went forward a little bit right inside the line towards 1st base. The batter just stood there, not realizing it was a fair ball and the catcher just picks it up and tags the batter for an out. I felt sorry for the kid, one of those freak hits that can go either way but backfired on him.

anyone here ever umpired a game?  Just curious...  Forgive me if I am curt or rude but I think it needs saying.

I am sure there are not enough umpires to do all the games.  Maybe some of the

"excellent stand umpires" with their infinite knowledge of the rules and unquestionable judgement should become an umpire.

The fact is that there are no sports officials who call perfect games and there are even less games that satisfy everyone.  Especially parents.

Most of the time you are 50% right or 50% wrong as an official.

Ok, now that is has been said let the flood gates open.

Not bashing you Silsbee 92.  I agree with your concern of bashing umpires.  And yes, I have umpired. But we must also remember that umpires, like players and coaches have bad games.  Last night the home plate umpire had a bad game.  I have no clue who he was, nor do I care to find out.   I have seen him work before and I do not remember him being a "poor" umpire from previous games. In his defense, as one poster noted, the plate was camoflaged as red dirt. The fact was that the pitchers, batters, and coaches had little clue what would be called a strike or a ball.  Both teams were affected.  Players always have to adjust to the umpire's strike zone.  Baseball people know this but there was no consistent strike zone. Pitchers were "aiming" their pitches.  Batters had poor at bats.  One thing for sure.....it did not favor either team. ;)

I JUST LOVE IT WHEN WE HEAR ABOUT ALL OF THE BAD UMPIREING FROM THE "" EXPERTS"". THEY MAKE THESE COMMENTS WHILE SETTING DOWN THE FIRST OR THIRD BASE FENCE OR 50 FT. IN THE STANDS. HEARD THE SAME AT THE SULPHUR GAME.  PUT ON THE MASK OR STAY HOME.

First, I have put the mask on.  Second, the point is that the strike zone was 'equal' for both teams.  BC thought it was too tight when Stringer was walking the park and OF thought it was too tight in the 7th when they were walking the park.  I don't think that anyone doesn't appreciate it the work the 'men in blue' do but 'disagreeing' with the umpires is as much a part of the game as hot dogs, etc.  You love 'em when you get the call, and don't love 'em when you don't get the call.  Part of the game...simple as that.

I also think everyone would agree that the strike zone is not what the rule book says...it is what the umpire says/sees it as.  As long as that zone remains consistent throughout the game, then at least both sides have an equal shot...and isn't that what umpiring is really about?

Do they miss some calls?  Sure.  That's also part of the game.  But it probably evens out over the course of a season for you and against you. 

First, I have put the mask on.  Second, the point is that the strike zone was 'equal' for both teams.  BC thought it was too tight when Stringer was walking the park and OF thought it was too tight in the 7th when they were walking the park.  I don't think that anyone doesn't appreciate it the work the 'men in blue' do but 'disagreeing' with the umpires is as much a part of the game as hot dogs, etc.  You love 'em when you get the call, and don't love 'em when you don't get the call.  Part of the game...simple as that.

I also think everyone would agree that the strike zone is not what the rule book says...it is what the umpire says/sees it as.  As long as that zone remains consistent throughout the game, then at least both sides have an equal shot...and isn't that what umpiring is really about?

Do they miss some calls?  Sure.  That's also part of the game.  But it probably evens out over the course of a season for you and against you. 

He's right.  And as bad as anybody thinks the calling was, it was called he same for both teams.  Basically the team with fewer mistakes wins the game in this situation.

i've also umpired...not on the hs level but i could have done better than that...its a lot easier to call games if you've played them.  i dont bash umpires normally because i dont think one or two bad calls warrants everyone against them....but that was getting out of hand

AMEN Brother 8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anagha.23
    Newest Member
    anagha.23