Should a shot clock be used in HS b-ball?

NO SHOT CLOCK!  A shot clock will NOT get a kid ready to play at the college level, playing basketball will.  Playing any and all types of games whether it be fast break, run and holler, shoot and foller or slow down, take twenty passes until you get a good look.  A kid should learn all aspects of the game and leaving the game like it is lets coaches be creative.  A win is a win whether it is 90-89 or 20-19.

No shot clock, there should be much more to basketball than "runnin and dunkin".  We keep doing things to take the finesse out of the game.  The only rule change I would make is to allow only 10 seconds in the back court.  Run it like the shot clock.  If a team calls time out with 8 seconds left, they would only have 2 left to get across the line.  As it stands now good defense is not rewarded.

I believe the shot clock will do little to improve the quality of play because most teams shoot the ball before 35 seconds expire. I ofen wonder why most kids rush things on offense, particualarly, when the speed game might favor their opponent.  In a push supporting the shot clock, it would benefit those players like Ryan Donuhoe, who are getting ready for the next level, and isn't that what this is about, getting kids ready academically and athletically for the next level.

I see the pros & cons on this issue. Personally I favor a shot clock because I like to see a lot action in basketball, and not see teams use the strategy of 10 passes, then shoot. But on the other hand, I've seen some mighty teams fall because of an oppenent's game tactic of 10 passes and a cloud of dust. It's beautiful when it is put to perfection, but very frustrating when you are playing against it.

Guest tigersvoice

I like the idea of a shot clock in high school.  As someone said earlier, it would help prepare players

that are going to the next level.  I know the great majority of high school round ballers DO NOT go on to play in college or beyond but that should not be the reason that a shot clock is not tried.  And, of course, I like an up-beat pace in the game. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124