***Week 2 SETXSPORTS.com Baseball Rankings***

Released by MIF04

WEEK TWO

SETEXSPORTS.COM BASEBALL ‘TOP TEN’

The curse of being #1 continues as last week’s #1 (Nederland) got run ruled and no-hit by Bridge City and then dropped another game on top of that…in their own tournament.   It was a pretty good week for a lot of area teams but our new #1 has had two good weeks…the Barbers Hill Eagles.

(Last week’s rankings in parenthesis)

1.   BARBERS HILL EAGLES (2)

The  Eagles ‘escaped’  with a 7-6 win over HJ then rolled through the Ewell Jackson bracket until they lost to 5A power Elkins  in the semi-finals.  BH’s two losses this year have been to state ranked 5A Flower Mound and Houston 5A power Elkins.  Hales leads what is proving to be a dominant staff while Townsley and Campbell power the offense.  They host PNG for a Tuesday match up that promises to be fun.

2.   BRIDGE CITY (3)

BC was on the verge on claiming our top spot until they sputtered against Sulphur (Louisiana’s 5A state finalist last year) on Saturday afternoon.  Prior to that, they rode Jeff Stringer’s no hitter and Johnny Dishon’s 3 homer weekend and proved that the old adage applies to the Cardinals …  “they don’t rebuild, they just reloadâ€.  District starts on Tuesday for these guys…a marquee game up the road in Silsbee.

3.   WEST BROOK (5)

No pitching?  No problem?  The Bruins allowed 7 runs per game this week…and went 5-1, including a wild 16-14 win over nationally ranked Lake Charles Barbe.  Along the way, they won their own tournament scoring more than 10 runs per game themselves.  The travel to Vidor on Tuesday (interesting game there) then across the border to play in LC Barbe’s own tournament…where paybacks can be heck.

4.   LCM (4)

A tie against New Caney and loss to Brenham does not diminish the great results that Griff is once again squeezing out of his Bears.  Solids wins against Lehman, Santa Fe and  5A Huntsville prove that  the ‘green-n-gold’ are back in the hunt again, especially with big bangers Jake Rowell and Ben Jones swinging the sticks.   

5.   JASPER (10)

Some posters here are claiming the ‘Dogs are staying under the radar.  Not so fast as their continued solid play will not escape our watchful eyes.  Taylor Hart scores the game winner in the 11th inning to defeat Kelly and the ‘Dogs maul previously undefeated Vidor and *presto†Jasper is our biggest upward mover of the week.  A dangerous 1st district game awaits, tho…Orangefield (fresh off their tourney win) comes calling on Tuesday.

6.   NEDERLAND (1)

Ouch.  First, you get run ruled by a 3A school.  Then, your ace gets knocked out and you lose again.  And both of these games happen in your own tournament?  Not the best of weeks for Coach Robbins but these Bulldogs did rebound to claim a couple of wins against Leesville (LA) to keep their ship afloat.

7.   VIDOR (6)

Take away the shellacking they took from 3A Jasper and it was another solid week for the Pirates.  You sorta get the feeling that Kyle Green’s group has the makings of something special…and that has got to scare the #$%@ out of everyone else in that district.  They host West Brook in a Tuesday night game and everyone is looking forward to the trip to see their new, improved facility…not to mention two very good teams loaded with very good players.

8.   HUFFMAN (9)

The Falcons roll through their own tournament this weekend albeit their record did get tarnished with an early week loss to Klein Forest.  One should not overlook this team…it is deep and talented, with 2 very good pitchers at the front of their rotation.  Wonder if either of them would like to move to West Brook?

9.   SILSBEE (

Up and down like last week’s stock market, the Tigers lose badly to Kelly 11-2 and barely squeaked out a 4-3 win vs. Lumberton.  Of course, they also pounded Woodville 11-1 and Coldspring 8-0 so who knows?  The Tigers need to get their game face on, tho…district starts and Tuesday night brings Billy Bryant and the BC  Cardinals to town for the first of many district showdowns in this 3A division.

10.   HARDIN JEFFERSON (NR)

The Hawks make their first ever appearance in our Top Ten after another solid week, marred only by a 1-run loss to #1 BH.  Remember, the other HJ losses have been equally close…both to 4A LCM.   They open district this week with a traditional ‘barn burner’…they host the Longhorns from HF on Tuesday.  The race is on.

ON THE BUBBLE, CLOSE AND FALLING OUT:

OZEN (7) went 0-5 this week in the Conroe tournament and fell from the top 10, even though we still all believe they’ll be in the thick of their district race.  ORANGEFIELD (NR) gets a round of applause for winning their tournament this weekend, and by proving that BC is not the only school playing some quality freshmen up on their varsity.  And, PNG (NR) beats 5A power Baytown Sterling, almost knocks off 5A West Brook but loses to Victoria and Barbe to remain under .500 for the season.

And…a wish for a speedy recovery to PNG’s Shawn Flores who was injured in Saturday night’s 6-5 loss vs. West Brook when he crashed into the fence chasing a foul ball.  Shawn had  thrown the first 5 innings for the Indians before moving to the outfield.  Get well soon.

See ya next week… 

Awesome...BH at the top..Minor correction Hales and Thamm lead a dominant pitching staff. Cameron, Townley, Ponder, Hulsey, and as of late Rocha lead a very powerful offense. In fact, entire BH lineup is contributing...be it with a hit, sac bunt, HR shot, etc. Entire lineup has made a contribution in one way or another. Taking nothing away from Huffman, New Caney, Crosby,or GP...this district will be exciting.. I'm a BH guy and we do like our chances...I guess that's why you have to play the games. Good luck to all. Next to granny's Apple pie, nothing better than well-played baseball.

H'mmmmmmmmm........Wonder who your kid is?

Even if Thamm is Eagle's kid, his numbers speak for themselves.  He's 2-0, both wins complete games (against Houston Chrisitian and Milby) with 2 no-decisons (threw only 2 innings a piece to stay fresh for the weekend tournaments) 18 total innings, with a 0.76 era.  Oh yeah forgot to mention his 31-1 strikeout to walk ratio. 

Thanks, baseballwayoflife...I only state facts/numbers...And mine seem to be a little more accurate than some I've seen on this site. The day my kid has an off night...you all will be the first to know. I think I do a great job of giving props to all the great athletes and teams in this region...and there are many, including BH's district opponents. Exciting, well-played baseball gonna be played by many in SETX. Put another way...31-1...if you were offended oldman, my apologies. But you can always grab a bat and dig in at the plate !

Baytown Sterling (and Lee, for that matter) have always been 'left out' of SE Texas and been more a part of Houston -- although I'm fine if we 'adopt' them.  No question that Sterling is a very legitimate team with 2 very good front line pitchers (Dempsay, sr. who has signed with U. of Houston, and Cervenka, jr.).

Whether we will include them or not...I will yield to the will of the majority.

Thanks, oldman...I believe my response sounded harsher than it was intended. Actually, I mentioned several kids in that post...could be anyone of them :).

Regarding the discussions about Baytown Sterling from others, I think maybe the county line has something to do with who's talked about on this site. However, B. Sterling is indeed loaded....glad we do not play them. I'm rooting for them to go to state...in 5A of course. My vote...add both Baytown schools to the site.

Take care. 

your record is 6-6 i dont think anyone is jealous of png.. play better then you'll get some props.

wanna know why our record is 6-6  cause were playing 5a top ranked houston area teams  thats why our record is like that  we dont play all these little 3a schools  we played 2 teams that wasnt 5a and we beat both of them

I just dont want you to get in over your head png guy.... Last year you lost 5 Games

2 to LCM 2 to Nederland 1 to Vidor, All 5 of those games. You pitched either Harrington hitting around 90mph and Cody Myers hitting around 85-88 mph.. Im not saying your not good im just saying you dont have near the pitching you had last year. or the year before. so theres a reason your 6-6 or whatever your record is...... But I am excited to watch the district race this year...CANT WAIT!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83