Shelby Metcalf passed away today

lonestar

Shelby Metcalf, the all-time winningest coach in Texas A&M and Southwest Conference men's basketball history, has died, according to the university.

Metcalf passed away Thursday evening at the College Station Medical Center after battling a lengthy illness. Metcalf was 76 years old.

His six SWC championships are No. 2 all-time behind SMU’s Doc Hayes who won eight.  Metcalf’s Aggies won 20 or more games six times and appeared in five NCAA and four NIT championship tournaments.  The Tulsa native was an All-American on East Texas State ’s national championship (NAIA) team in 1955.  After Air Force duty in Germany , Metcalf began his coaching career at Class B Cayuga before moving to A&M as an assistant to Bob Rogers, his former coach at East Texas .  Metcalf earned three college degrees including a doctorate at A&M. He was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1994.

Metcalf (Dec. 23, 1930-Feb. 8, 2007) was always regarded as much for his one liners as for his legendary coaching prowess. His most popular quote which has been used by politicians to CEO’s of corporations, goes something like this: In talking to one of his players who received four F’s and a D, “Son, looks to me like you are spending too much time on one subject!”

A couple of other examples include, asking a Southwest Conference basketball official “can you give me a technical for what I am thinking?” The official replied no he could not. So Coach Metcalf followed with, “I think you are a (fill in the blank)!” The official did not give him a technical.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124