Texas State Spring Game Recap

BobcatDis

Both teams showed flashes of good offense and defense. In the end, Quarterback Fred Nixon and Tight End Bradley Miller helped carry the Gold team to a 30-29 win on Saturday afternoon.

With a combined 59 points, there was plenty of offense to go around, but the Gold team would use two timely interceptions by RS Freshman Cornerback Brandon McDowell and Free Safety Brandon Jones, respectively in the 3rd and 4th quarters, to help keep the Maroon offense out of the end zone long enough for a comeback.

Chris Nutall would have the best day of any running back. He would pick up the most carries, 12, and rack up 115 yards with 2 touchdowns on the day averaging nearly 10 yards a pop. His 24 yard scoring run along the west sideline in the 2nd Quarter was an impressive feat in getting to the sideline and then rumbling forward through a DB at the goal line for the score.

Connor White who had an effective day with his feet, for the Maroon team, would rush for 47 yards on 9 carries and 1 touchdown. His score would put the Maroon squad up 29-15 with 7:58 to go in the 4th quarter. Through the air he did get picked twice and finished 7 of 17 for 70 yards.

This is when Fred Nixon and Bradley Miller would put it in high gear for the Gold team spurring on the comeback. Nixon, who will be the first to tell you he's had his struggles this spring, had the best performance of the QB's, going 7 of 11 for 79 yards and 1 touchdown through the air. He also added 67 yards on 8 rushes and another TD with his legs. "Just coming to it, the O-line held up well. Passing, running, open holes, I mean they just gave me a chance to execute," said Nixon. Nixon's performance opened some eyes and even after the dust had settled for the 2014 spring game, it could still be a 3 way battle to see who will be #2 come the fall. "I had my up's and down's during the spring. There's always room for improvement. I think I need to improve in the passing game. I can always improve in my reads, but I just always think there's room for improvement," said Nixon."

Gold tight end Bradley Miller was a target and a weapon all game long. The senior always seemed to find a hole or space and he caught everything thrown his way. In the first drive of the game for the Gold, he would haul in a 24 yard catch from Tyler Jones down the east sideline would be a precursor of what was to come from him. He would finish with 5 catches for 142 yards and 2 scores on the afternoon. One of his catches was a nice grab off of a deflection over the middle of the field, near the 50 yard line. Miller would snag it and out run the defense to the corner of the south end zone.

"I just want to do what I have to do to win games. In high school at Sealy, I won a lot of games and I want to continue to win some more games here. Whatever Coach Fran wants me to do, whether he wants me to block defensive ends, or run routes against linebackers, I'll do what he wants me to do. The top defensive highlight of the game was reserve Stinger Linebacker Brixx Hawthorne from the Maroon team. He would drop back into coverage and stick up his left hand to pluck a Tyler Jones pass out of mid air, one handed, and then rumble 84 yards down the sideline to complete the pick six.

With Spring Practice now complete, Texas State will turn in the pads until the first week of August when fall camp opens up. The Bobcats open up their season at home on August 30th against Arkansas Pine-Bluff.

http://texasstate.scout.com/2/1393237.html

Passing:
(Gold)
Tyler Jones 3-8, one INT, no TD, 50 yards
Fred Nixon 7-11, no INT, one TD, 79 yards
Randy Price 2-2, no INT, no TD, 81 yards

(Maroon)
Connor White 7-12, two INTS, no TD, 70 yards

Rushing:
(Gold)
Rob Lowe 5-55, one TD
Fred Nixon 8-53, one TD