UIL Restricts Full Contact Practices During Season

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1412922" timestamp="1371089555"]
everyone one keeps referring to hitting and tackling with good technique. how about learning to take a hit or a mass tackle. when I played, we used to have 30 minutes a day of kill the man with the ball. learn to defend yourself. uil is following suit with the pro's in trying to prevent head injuries. as noble as a cause as it may be, they are going to happen. it is a contact sport. where I can see limiting hitting in practice sounds like a good idea, it only decreases game time intensity and preparedness.  jmo...........
[/quote]
30 mins a day....3 days a week=90 min

Overkill if you have a game Friday

[quote name="pe2009" post="1413024" timestamp="1371133192"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=112500.msg1412922#msg1412922 date=1371089555]
everyone one keeps referring to hitting and tackling with good technique. how about learning to take a hit or a mass tackle. when I played, we used to have 30 minutes a day of kill the man with the ball. learn to defend yourself. uil is following suit with the pro's in trying to prevent head injuries. as noble as a cause as it may be, they are going to happen. it is a contact sport. where I can see limiting hitting in practice sounds like a good idea, it only decreases game time intensity and preparedness.  jmo...........
[/quote]
30 mins a day....3 days a week=90 min

Overkill if you have a game Friday
[/quote]

and if I am not mistaken... its 90 mins per individual athlete... not per squad...

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1413027" timestamp="1371133434"]
Dustoff... I have 4 words for ya.... "Bull In The Ring".... outlawed now... but back in the day it taught you how to keep your head on a swivel for sure.... LOL
[/quote]

Ahh yes.  Bull in the ring and kill the man with the ball, both very effective I agree.  IMO, you could still do some of these drills if you just did it without helmets and pads.  With helmets, many players want to go for the knockout shot in the head.  We had some tackle football games in the neighborhood as teenagers that were more physical than a full contact high school practice today.  And we did it without leading with our heads and without targeting anyone's head.  That's the biggest difference.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami