Basketball vs. Baseball!

As a fan of basketball & it being my favorite sport growing up, I have to ask myself now and others why do we saturate the basketball gyms year round and not encouraging our youth to participate in baseball as well! I feel that kids should experience different sports to develop their agility, toughness, speed, hand & eye coordination and overall knowledge! While basketball is played inside of confortable air conditioned buildings, other sports such as baseball is played in the heat! Maybe this is the major factor for kids loosing interest and the fact that it is somewhat boring! Lol Well reality is their are several kids that are vertically challenged, quickness challenged and jumping ability challenged but can shoot or handle the ball but are often left without a college scholarship offer! While Houston Astros professional baseball player Jose' Altuve is 5'5 175lbs and shows that you don't have to be 6'6 or taller too make it big! There are always exceptions to every rule but i see alot of kids who probably would have a better chance of getting a free education on a diamond! What do you think?

I would think as someone who feels kids should experience as many sports as possible you wouldn't be on a basketball forum making a post about playing less basketball and more baseball.

Oddly enough, I think anyone who has experienced youth baseball would find your statement about as hypocritical as they come.  I have seen more kids (including my own) quit baseball because it is year around.  Lessons, youth league, select league.  My son had a tournament every weekend for 5 months straight when he played select ball.  No one in the baseball world has room to talk about experiencing other sports.

Also, if you are all for the kids experiencing as many sports as possible then why mention scholarships and professional aspirations?  After all, you just want the kids to experience multiple sports, right?

Sheesh.....take this crap to the baseball forum where you can find someone who might buy your BS.

Dude, my sons and daughter play all sports baseball, football, basketball and track,  daughter plays softball, basketball and track! Some people feel that specializing in one sport is better but I think kids should experience different one's! Near their junior or senior year they should know which one gives them the opportunity to possibly receive a college scholarship! Basketball is a great sport as well as the others and I don't agree with year-round anything! I believe each sport is valuable in teaching different skills! As for me being on a basketball site asking about baseball, I was hoping some people realize that they just might want to compare their investments and see which is the best for their child! I did them all coming up and was good at all but my Dad helped me make the final right choice in the end on which sport would take me the furthest and I appreciate that of him! You make your statements where you feel and I will do the same! 
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1411487" timestamp="1370544958"]
I would think as someone who feels kids should experience as many sports as possible you wouldn't be on a basketball forum making a post about playing less basketball and more baseball.

Oddly enough, I think anyone who has experienced youth baseball would find your statement about as hypocritical as they come.  I have seen more kids (including my own) quit baseball because it is year around.  Lessons, youth league, select league.  My son had a tournament every weekend for 5 months straight when he played select ball.  No one in the baseball world has room to talk about experiencing other sports.

Also, if you are all for the kids experiencing as many sports as possible then why mention scholarships and professional aspirations?  After all, you just want the kids to experience multiple sports, right?

Sheesh.....take this crap to the baseball forum where you can find someone who might buy your BS.
[/quote]

I consider myself more of a baseball guy and even I think this is a ridiculous post.  If you don't think baseball is or can be year-round, you are mistaken.  The only thing that keeps baseball from being played year-round is the weather. 

Finally, if the reason to support your kids in playing sports is for scholarship opportunities or to have their college education paid for, save your money on any year-round sports and set up a college fund.  Do the math, a college basketball team may have 15 players and a college baseball team may have around 30 to 40.  Both of those sports have about 12 scholarships per team to distribute.  In the case of baseball, those 12 scholarships are often divided between 20-30 players.  Factor in the odds of getting a scholarship to play sports with distribution and your logic completely falls apart. 

[quote name="Law Dog" post="1413372" timestamp="1371219042"]
I consider myself more of a baseball guy and even I think this is a ridiculous post.  If you don't think baseball is or can be year-round, you are mistaken.  The only thing that keeps baseball from being played year-round is the weather. 

Finally, if the reason to support your kids in playing sports is for scholarship opportunities or to have their college education paid for, save your money on any year-round sports and set up a college fund.  Do the math, a college basketball team may have 15 players and a college baseball team may have around 30 to 40.  Both of those sports have about 12 scholarships per team to distribute.  In the case of baseball, those 12 scholarships are often divided between 20-30 players.  Factor in the odds of getting a scholarship to play sports with distribution and your logic completely falls apart.
[/quote]

Can you give us a short list, say 3 or 4 schools
(colleges/universities) that carry 30 or 40 players on their
baseball teams?  Me thinks that is an exaggeration, Sir. ::)

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1413382" timestamp="1371222579"]
[quote author=Law Dog link=topic=112424.msg1413372#msg1413372 date=1371219042]

[/quote]

Can you give us a short list, say 3 or 4 schools
(colleges/universities) that carry 30 or 40 players on their
baseball teams?  Me thinks that is an exaggeration, Sir. ::)
[/quote]

He said 20-30 in one spot and 30-40 in another.  It sure does look like 40 or more when they are shaking hands after a game.  Maybe a lot of them are just bat boys are something.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/lama-m-basebl-mtt.html  (Lamar)

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/tex-m-basebl-mtt.html (Texas)

http://www.aggieathletics.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=27300&SPID=93243&SPSID=632713& (Texas A & M)

http://www.goheels.com/SportSelect.dbml?SITE=UNC&DB_OEM_ID=3350&SPID=12960&SPSID=668154 (North Carolina)

Like I said, 30-40 on the roster, including red shirts, walk-ons, etc.  In most cases 20-30 of those will be on scholarship and dividing 11.7 scholarships per team.  I could go on and beat ther proverbial dead horse, if you would like.  Me thinks your reading comprehension and research skills need a little polishing, sir.

I look at this and I think by the time a student athlete gets into high school they settle into a sport they feel they like the most, or better at, etc. They continue to play that sport. You have a few exceptions like at smaller schools. I feel though as if the two seasons are too close together because by the time a player is through playing basketball he finds himself having a tough time going out to the baseball field right before district starts and earning himself a spot. And to say a baseball player may decide not to play basketball so he would have a better chance of making the baseball team. Some may argue that the coaches will give them a fair opportunity, but in most cases that is a false accusation. This draws kids who might help out the other program strictly into only playing their "better sport"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83