Memories from two-a-day practices

Guest UHCoog14
Saw "Fast Times at Ridgement High" every day between practices for 2 weeks at the San Jacinto Mall (back then it was 1st class).

I try to suppress any recollection of what took place on the field in the Texas heat during those days.

However, not a year goes by that I don't miss every minute of every practice. I miss those guys.

Tom Berenger who played Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant in the movie The Junction Boys quoted, "I don't care who your father is. I don't care if you're All-State whatever in high school, and I don't care what the last coach promised you. You did stuff your way! We're going to work now!" Did any of your coaches use that mentality? They should go back to days like these when coaches care less who their fathers were! I know Cowboys Coach Garrett is doing that! What do y'all think?

I remember our head coach used to kick his o-lineman in the butt if they false started! More embarrassing than painful, and it worked.

Our defensive coordinator said you had to be an A$$hole to play defense for him. No sissy mama's boys. Didn't care how big, fast, or strong you were, you had to be nasty! Loved playing for that guy!!

I played tight end on offense (about 6'1" 215lbs at the time) and we were going to run a new play. Rifle Split 39 quick pitch. I was split wide, and my job was to go straight down the line of scrimmage and crack back on the first man that showed second level.... pitch to tailback coming my way. I loved to crack back on people, so needless to say I was really excited to run this play. I bolt down the line of scrimmage on the snap, and a sophomore scout team linebacker (about 60lbs lighter than me) was scraping my way, and he never had a clue what hit him... straight ear hole, somersault backflip, give me the juice gordy, lights out baby! The shot was so loud it was like a shotgun going off. The running back and everyone stopped in the middle of the play. I was standing over this poor kid, who's body looked mangled and dead and he was totally knocked out. Our coaches ran in to check on him and make sure he was gonna be ok. Our head coach grabbed me by the facemask and started yelling at me about how I was supposed to take it easy on the underclassmen and how that was bullcrap! I said "Coach, you called the play." Another coach got in my face griping me out too. The kid is still down, huddle around him when our defensive coordinator slides up behind me, slaps me on the butt and says "Way to be a F'n A$$hole Broom!!!" The rest of our coaches just glared at him and he never changed the intense look on his face. That dude was a tough coach and knew how to motivate defensive players!

P.S. The guy woke up and was fine. He quit that day and never played again, but no serious injuries.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder