UIL will probably add another qualifying round for track.

One of the new amendments they are voting on June 12 will be to add an Area round to 2A through 5A in track.  Top 4 from District will go to Area and the top 4 from Area will go to Region.  The reasoning is that fewer athletes will go to Region therefore cutting down on travel expense.  I think the format will be the same as football.  For example 19-4A vs 20-4A for the first round.

I think I will like this. What is your opinion?

http://tx.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/98866

The above link talks about the specifics of it and coaches have been talking about it for over a year now.  It is suppose to go into affect next season.  Maybe they are just voting on the dynamics but as far as I know it is a done deal.

[quote name="Kris_Gilmore" post="1228659" timestamp="1338918699"]
It is already a done deal this was decided last year.  I think it is ok...[b]I hate losing the Regional Qualifier Meet[/b], but having 4his qualify to area is a good thing.
[/quote]

Why would there be a need to "lose" the Regional Qualifiers Meet? This is already in place at the 1A level...The Regional Qualifier Meets that I'm aware of take place between Area and Regionals. Woodlands, Kountze, Port Arthur....etc

I personally like it as far as 3A goes. I'm not sure if 4A runs into what we do at Regionals (5A doesn't seem to), but Regionals has become watered down in many events. Districts aren't sending their 1,2, and 3 in each event. Your athletes that make Regionals in 4 or 5 events or three tough running events (800m, 400m, 4x400m etc.) are pulling out of one or more events to concentrate on the events they have the best chance of making state (I don't have a problem with this). This leaves some districts sending any possible combination of their top 5 in an event. Competition level in the prelims fall a bit when this happens and sometimes it causes problems in the distance races with lapers. I think this will greatly increase the level of competition at Regionals. Instead of each district sending three, you are going to be taking the top 4 between two different districts. I like it. Also, I think we will see rivalries created between districts. Also, as Kris said, it is giving 4 kids the opportunity to move on to the next round and compete again. I'm looking forward to it next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder