Baytown Lee Spring Game

This will be the last year that Lee wins a game on varsity I believe.  Only half joking with that.

they have Josh Zellars at QB/Safety.  He will be a D1 type guy.  He is a senior.
They have a kid named Cedro I believe is his name.  He plays running back and linebacker.  He is a pretty good athletes. 
They have a kid named Gomez, tall and lanky pretty good speed that plays some receiver for them.
Miquo Willie will probably play receiver and some db.  He is also a pretty good athlete.
Jamari Gilbert is another kid with nice size and speed that will play receiver and db. 
They have some nice size up front.
Kion Richardson, who I can only assume is Jaevon's brother, will play some linebacker and maybe receiver.  A little more stocky and not quite as dynamic as Jaevon.

Most of them are seniors though, and as you said they have been winless two years straight on freshman team I believe, or close to it.

I think they could make some noise this year,  if they stay healthy, depending on how much Zellars has improved as a qb.  He started playing safety last year towards the end of the year because Scott was a better qb.  Zellars' future might actually be safety as he was all-district in his limited time.  Between him and the Cedro kid they should be able to just bully their way through and run the ball a little bit against a lot of teams.  They are both big and physical relatively speaking.

Outside of that, I don't know.  I will be learning on the fly today at 5pm/

I left shortly after halftime.

It was rough to watch.  I would prefer if they just lined up the 1's vs. 1's to the best of their capability, knowing that some of them play both ways.

They don't have enough good players to have a draft and split the teams up like that to where the #1 qb is on one team, and the best receiver and rb are on the other team.  Can't really tell much and it is not helpful to the players in my opinion.

Jamari Gilbert was out for Lee.  I am almost certain that Gomez was out too, but I could be wrong about that one.

Lee just doesn't have a whole lot of players.

Zellars and Cedro should provide a good running 1-2 punch.  Zellars still struggles with the passing game.  Of course the win was gusting up to 40 mph it seemed.

Leonce looked like he might be able to provide some shiftiness at receiver and punt returner.

They will need Gilbert, Gomez, Willie, Zellars and Cedro to all play a little bit of both ways at the very least if not full time both ways.

They had about 80 guys out, so that is an improvement over last year as hard as that may be to believe. lol

I thought they looked.....ok, but again it was hard to tell much with two starters not even dressing, then another four offensive starters on the maroon team, while five more are on the white team.  Same way with the defense.  Just hard to get a gauge not seeing them all out on the field at once.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1226174" timestamp="1338005730"]
You mean other than the fact that got an unacceptable rating?
[/quote]

Yes, I'm hearing of near closer and a mass transfer of athlete -students. 

My daughter won't be attending G.C.I.S.D. this is bad.

Yes.
They did.
I would hope anyone that was planning on transferring would not be out there playing in the spring game, but you never know.
I know all of the key players are also playing for the Lee 7 on 7 team as of this past weekend in Manvel.

I imagine anyone that wanted to transfer would have found a way to transfer already by finding a relative to claim on the other side of town like these kids always do.  They wouldn't have waited until Lee got an unacceptable rating.

Hard to believe that Sterling did not also get unacceptable.  When I looked at the numbers in the Chronicle a few weeks back, Lee actually had better numbers than Sterling nearly across the board.  Sterling may have had a better percentage under one heading, which presumably is the one they use for rating.

I did talk with a few GCISD teachers and they prefer a onee school district, just have a freshman campus and a senior campus. But I doub they'll do that with GCM. Maybe that what the'll do with Lee/Sterling?

What do you think?

Goose Creek has no vision.
They should have gone to one school back when they had the chance.  They went to three schools and now they are losing students like nobody's business at Lee.
Lee may be down to a 3A school before long.

They were ore concerned, in this everyone gets a trophy society, in having 3 valedictorians, 3 salutatorians, 3 drum majors, 3 starting quarterbacks, so on and so forth, than they were about having any sort of community pride.

All three schools are pretty well mediocre to poor in every sport and in every academic standard you could come up with.

So, no...I don't think they will combine Lee and Sterling.  If anything, they will build another high school so they can have 4 valedictorians, 4 salutatorians....

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1226602" timestamp="1338215499"]
They should have gone to one school back when they had the chance.  They went to three schools and now they are losing students like nobody's business at Lee.

They were ore concerned, in this everyone gets a trophy society, in having 3 valedictorians, 3 salutatorians, 3 drum majors, 3 starting quarterbacks, so on and so forth, than they were about having any sort of community pride.

All three schools are pretty well mediocre to poor in every sport and in every academic standard you could come up with.

So, no...I don't think they will combine Lee and Sterling.  If anything, they will build another high school so they can have 4 valedictorians, 4 salutatorians....
[/quote]
Panama, Baytown missed a great opportunity to go to a one school system when Lee burned (late 80's I believe). Then they missed it again when they added Memorial and further diluted the talent pool with 3 high schools. I firmly believe this is the end of Lee (as a Lee grad I hate this). They need to go to a 9th/10th campus and 11th/12th campus. It is the only way they will be competitive across the board.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="LP0175" post="1226186" timestamp="1338009874"]
[quote author=panamamyers link=topic=100206.msg1226174#msg1226174 date=1338005730]
You mean other than the fact that got an unacceptable rating?
[/quote]

Yes, I'm hearing of near closer and a mass transfer of athlete -students. 

My daughter won't be attending G.C.I.S.D. this is bad.
[/quote]

29 TOTAL students from REL elected to move to another campus.

As for GCCISD, there are plenty of good kids doing the right thing in and out of the classroom. I would not paint with such a broad paintbrush. Every district has their "problems".

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1226602" timestamp="1338215499"]

[/quote]

I recall the glory days of LEE.  Really sad to watch.  Problem is the houses are 40-70 years old, land value worth nothing, businesses open and close faster than the shelves get filled, and 1/2 the populations has never filed a tax return.  The area has turned into little Mexico and is a crap-hole of monumental proportions.  I don't see any solution to any of it, just short of 2 Cat 4 or 5 hurricanes to demolish the homes.  That sucks for us all, but nobody will spend money to build anything in OBT.  Just look at the failed and poor attempts on Texas Ave.  Do they really think anyone is going there to spend money?  They need 2 or 3 hi-rise office buildings to bring in some economical benefit, which could help.  Beaumont is a good example of that working Mon-Fri.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder