Lamar vs Sam Houston updates/ LAMAR WINS 72-49!!!!

Made the trip to Sam and was happy with the energy level of the players, but not sure it would have been enough to beat either UTA or SFA.  LU seems to struggle most against a team with a strong inside presence and taller wing players than we have.  While it was good to see Mike James get 30, I wouldn't want to count on that.  We have to score with our inside guys to beat a better team and that still isn't happening.  Don't remember which two wing players it was but one play that didn't happen stuck out to me as an example of what we are missing.  I think Harper had the ball deep outside and Lamb set up at the side of the lane looking for a pass.  It seemed like Harper held the ball for 5 seconds trying to let Lamb get free of his defender.  What was missed was an oppurtunity for Lamb to roll back accross the lane and set a screen for Osas to come off the screen toward Harper and the basket which easily could have led to a dunk or at least a Sam foul.  Instead we held the ball trying to force something to happen and then settled for passing the ball back around the three point arc and settling for a jumper.  Another time Osas got the ball about one step outside of the low block and tried to pass into the middle of the lane when he could have taken one step and gone up for a possible layup and again if not scored probably could have picked up a Sam foul.  Just my opinion but to get the next level those type of plays have to be executed to take some of the pressure off of James, Miles and Davis to open up better shooting oppurtunities.  One play that I saw that I really liked was when the ball was passed out to the head of the key for Miles and rather than shoot the three with a defender coming at him he pump faked and dribbled past the defender to take a clear shot from the free throw line for two points.  Yes the team seemed to responded adequately to the criticism they got after Wednesday game but their is still a ton of room for improvement.  All in all a good game and it was worth the trip.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami