EC completes great season 11-1.

Guest ECBucFan

Guest ECBucFan

Man oh man what a year for the Bucs! Our guys wrap up a great year, fighting the #1 team for the length of the game. The final score is NOT indicative of the nature of the game. EC moved the ball well the entire game (just didn't punch it in sometimes...) Was a 21-13 game for a while, Mart, I suppose, was quite nervous, before scoring some cheap scores near the end of the game.

The Bucs did just about all that could have been asked of them this year. 4-0 vs. 3A's, 7-0 vs. 2A's, before this game. The guys played with great heart, talent and class this year, and have a lot to be extreamly proud of! :D

One final note: Again, Thanks for all the support from the area. I saw people from Anahuac, Hampshire-Fannett, Barbers Hill, and High Island at this game. Thank you all! And, of course: :D:D Well done Bucs!!!! :D:D

Guest ECBucFan

No. 1 Mart too much for East Chambers

By JARED AINSWORTH, Special to The Enterprise

11/25/2006

Updated 11/25/2006 12:24:16 AM CST

Email to a friendPrinter-friendly

HUNTSVILLE - There were times on Friday when a fighting East Chambers football team put itself in close range of a possible upset over No. 1-ranked Mart.

In the end, though, Mart lived up to its billing as the top-ranked team in Class 2A, and East Chambers' season came to a close with a 49-21 defeat in Bowers Stadium at Sam Houston State University.

The Buccaneers, who end their season with a 11-1 record, trailed by only two touchdowns when Preston Guillory scored on a 6-yard run with 8:35 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Mart, however, answered less than a minute later with a 53-yard reception by Alton Williams from quarterback Lee McClendon. The Panthers (11-1) then struck for a final time when an interception by East Chambers quarterback Tramain Thomas was returned 55 yards for a TD by Mart linebacker Mark Reynolds with 3:34 on the clock in the final period.

"Mart is a very talented football team, and we didn't seem to get any brakes," East Chambers coach Tony Valastro said. "I don't think (the Panthers) turned the ball over and we made a few mistakes that stopped a couple of drives. Other than that, I was real proud and pleased with the way we played."

Mart went ahead 21-0 early in the second quarter after receiving a pair of rushing TDs from McClendon and one from running back Kenny Barrett. McClendon finished the night with 111 yards and two TDs on the ground, while adding 104 yards and two TDs passing for the Panthers.

After Mart's opening blast, the Bucs made a run of their own. Thomas ran in a 5-yard score with 7:10 remaining in the second quarter, and the junior converted a one-yard TD run six minutes later to cut the gap to 21-13.

The Panthers wouldn't let up, though, and finished the first half with a 13-yard TD pass by McClendon to Damian Davis that gave them a 28-13 advantage heading into halftime.

Mart increased its lead to 35-13 midway through the third quarter when Barrett found the end zone for a 10-yard TD run.

Thomas led East Chambers with 112 yards and two TDs rushing, but the Bucs' star struggled through the air, going 5-of-16 for 56 yards and two interceptions. Running back Eugene Leday gave the Bucs 62 yards on the ground, and Guillory finished with 38 rushing yards of his own.

The Panthers, meanwhile, produced 281 yards on the ground on Friday.

"I'm real proud of the season we had," Valastro said. "People say we didn't play anybody, but we played some real good football teams. We played well and we're going to use that to build towards the future."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124