Duck Hunters

Guest LRaiser7

Up until the early 80's (when we could still kill 10 birds per hunter) I would normally hunt with two other guys and we would limit on opening day in about half an hour. That is 30 birds in 30 minutes.

A big difference was, back then we actually had a lot of ducks to choose from, hence the big limits. Even late in the season, we would usually get our limit of 30 birds in about 3 hours. Oh how times have changed.

Me and my boys got 3 Gadwall' date=' 2 Greenwing Teal and 1 Scaup this morning at the Wallisville Project. Saw lots of ducks.[/quote']

Was it like pulling leather off of a wild boar trying to skin that Scaup?

The Gadwalls and Teal are great. That Scaup on the other hand.....

I am bulding a collection of species to mount and display for hunter education and fortunately I didn't have a hen Scaup yet. So it is in the freezer whole.

That is a very good use for a Scaup. If I can think of another one, I will let you know.

Then there is always the Smilin' Mallard, also known as the Spoonbill or Shoveler. A heavily seasoned gumbo is about all you can do for that bird.

• 1 month later...

has any one hunted in bridge city erea  or killed anything any where for that mater

are the birds seeming to be decoy shy it has been a hard season for me except for the wood ducks have got my to every time even some kicker teal and gadwall

Sounds about like us over here. When we do see them they are decoy shy.

yep they have been really shy so i cut my spread down from 36 ducks and 30 geece to 10 ducks that vibrate and 3 geece seemed to work last weekend at the lake killed a limit fri. sat. and sun. fri. hunted big lake killed a mix sat. and sun. hunted back water killed nothing but mallards 4 drakes and a hen both days my best hunts of the year 

i went up around college station during the rain we had and we seen probably about 300 birds in bout an hour of hunting but didnt get no shots off. it was like they were afraid to come land on the water...they would circle and keep flying.

Some guys I work with have hunted Sommerville the last couple of weeks and have done well. Here is a picture of their Hunt on Lake Somerville, wish I would have went. Notice the Cinnamon TealJan2007006.jpg

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124