Montgomery vs Pearland Dawson Predictions

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leroy really didn't play a full game until the playoffs. Just didn't see any sense in overworking the knee necessarily. Check the box scores it's easy to see. Brenham was his first real game back from surgery, and his carry count was still limited to 28 touches. Huntsville got a half of him in the first round playoff, but he was pretty much turned loose on Crosby, carrying the ball 38 times for 325 yards and six touchdowns. The final three games of the season he carried the ball only 23 times for 332 yards, 14.43 yd/carry avg. and 6 TD's. He did that much in the Crosby game alone. I fully expect Dawson to get a good dose of him, and the minute the start cheating up too much in the box, Bolfing will burn them long to Gasaway and Peppe.

People make a big deal about the size of Dawson. I'll tell you Crosby had the biggest O-line I've seen all year. #76 Cody Stephens @ RT is 6'9" 270#, #56 Clayton Calicutt at LT was 6'5" 255#, #77 Justin Walker @ LG was 6'4" 245#, #66 RG Kyle Lewis 6'1" 270#, and #60 Preston Harvey @ C 5'11" 220#, is a pretty good sized line if you ask me. The Bear D-Line pretty much ate their lunch. Merka was sacked 8 times and hurries were in double digits. They also had one forced fumble that resulted in a turnover. Not to mention holding Dominic Merka QB 6' 5" 220#to 71 yards on 18 carries far below his game avg.

[quote name="Mark F Barnes" post="918166" timestamp="1290627901"]
Leroy really didn't play a full game until the playoffs. Just didn't see any sense in overworking the knee necessarily. Check the box scores it's easy to see. Brenham was his first real game back from surgery, and his carry count was still limited to 28 touches. Huntsville got a half of him in the first round playoff, but he was pretty much turned loose on Crosby, carrying the ball 38 times for 325 yards and six touchdowns. The final three games of the season he carried the ball only 23 times for 332 yards, 14.43 yd/carry avg. and 6 TD's. He did that much in the Crosby game alone. I fully expect Dawson to get a good dose of him, and the minute the start cheating up too much in the box, Bolfing will burn them long to Gasaway and Peppe.

People make a big deal about the size of Dawson. I'll tell you Crosby had the biggest O-line I've seen all year. #76 Cody Stephens @ RT is 6'9" 270#, #56 Clayton Calicutt at LT was 6'5" 255#, #77 Justin Walker @ LG was 6'4" 245#, #66 RG Kyle Lewis 6'1" 270#, and #60 Preston Harvey @ C 5'11" 220#, is a pretty good sized line if you ask me. The Bear D-Line pretty much ate their lunch. Merka was sacked 8 times and hurries were in double digits. They also had one forced fumble that resulted in a turnover. Not to mention holding Dominic Merka QB 6' 5" 220#to 71 yards on 18 carries far below his game avg.
[/quote]

[color=navy][b]No disrepect intended but you cant compare Dawson and Cougars Lite...they are 2 totally different teams on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to football. Also, those kids from Dawson have wheels to go along with their size and their DB's wont have a problem with deep threat balls. Now if you can get that hoss rolling then it will open up the passing game where you'll find more success on short, quick passes more so than the long ball. Dawson likes to smother running backs with #'s if they're a legitimate threat and try to stretch the play out vertically instead of horizontally for little to no gain. If you can run it down their throats you'll find better success than toss plays?[/b][/color]

[quote name="xLmCoog88" post="918180" timestamp="1290629208"]
[quote author=Mark F Barnes link=topic=76491.msg918166#msg918166 date=1290627901]

[/quote]

[color=navy][b]No disrepect intended but you cant compare Dawson and Cougars Lite...they are 2 totally different teams on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to football. Also, those kids from Dawson have wheels to go along with their size and their DB's wont have a problem with deep threat balls. Now if you can get that hoss rolling then it will open up the passing game where you'll find more success on short, quick passes more so than the long ball. Dawson likes to smother running backs with #'s if they're a legitimate threat and try to stretch the play out vertically instead of horizontally for little to no gain. If you can run it down their throats you'll find better success than toss plays?[/b][/color]
[/quote]

None taken.

But if you look at the same films we are the Dawson O-Line is pretty sluggish out of the three point stance. #72 you can clock with a sundial, and their much heralded #77  isn't much faster. They get away with a ton of holding and illegal chop blocks. They cut block more than any team the Bears have faced, that's for sure. Pay close attention how that is dealt with. The Dawson Special teams will have to be dealt with very carefully. They are dangerous a heck in that category.

If you have studied Montgomery, you'll notice they make their living between the hash marks, tends to neutralize that speed and turns it against them. And from the films I saw Manvel ran the bubble screen all over Dawson, and Friendswood passed all over them. So maybe they are a little more vulnerable than one might think. If Manvel would have fumbled the ball so many times the score would have been a lot worse. Fumbling is something the Bears don't do much of, and force a lot of turnovers, something Dawson is pretty prone to do.

Not seeing the massive size everyone is talking about on the Eagle defense. They look to be fast in the open field, but they seem also to be easily confused by complex blocking schemes. You can see on their films a lot of running into each other and missed assignments when a good counter is presented or crossing routes. The corners play soft and off the ball, reason the bubble screen eats them up 10 and 15 yards a chunk. Montgomery runs a lot of zone read and several variations of the counter trey. 

[quote name="Mark F Barnes" post="918227" timestamp="1290632994"]
[quote author=xLmCoog88 link=topic=76491.msg918180#msg918180 date=1290629208]
[quote author=Mark F Barnes link=topic=76491.msg918166#msg918166 date=1290627901]

[/quote]

[/quote]

None taken.

But if you look at the same films we are the Dawson O-Line is pretty sluggish out of the three point stance. #72 you can clock with a sundial, and their much heralded #77  isn't much faster. They get away with a ton of holding and illegal chop blocks. They cut block more than any team the Bears have faced, that's for sure. Pay close attention how that is dealt with. The Dawson Special teams will have to be dealt with very carefully. They are dangerous a heck in that category.

If you have studied Montgomery, you'll notice they make their living between the hash marks, tends to neutralize that speed and turns it against them. And from the films I saw Manvel ran the bubble screen all over Dawson, and Friendswood passed all over them. So maybe they are a little more vulnerable than one might think. If Manvel would have fumbled the ball so many times the score would have been a lot worse. Fumbling is something the Bears don't do much of, and force a lot of turnovers, something Dawson is pretty prone to do.

Not seeing the massive size everyone is talking about on the Eagle defense. They look to be fast in the open field, but they seem also to be easily confused by complex blocking schemes. You can see on their films a lot of running into each other and missed assignments when a good counter is presented or crossing routes. The corners play soft and off the ball, reason the bubble screen eats them up 10 and 15 yards a chunk. Montgomery runs a lot of zone read and several variations of the counter trey. 
[/quote]
[color=navy][b]
Fair enough, very true and valid point on negating the speed factor as that is the reason Stephenville owns us in Championship games. Not trying to put Stephenville down but for the most part we had better overall speed but they negated it by rolling out their QB and nickel and diming us up and down the field with their short crossing routes. I haven't seen any of Montgomery but they sound like a tough team that will give Dawson a run for their money or even more?[/b][/color]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124